PDA

View Full Version : intake gasket reuse?

LtSlayer
12-01-2020, 11:01 PM
I bought two metal intake gaskets for both the collector and intake manifold. I installed them but something was wrong so I had to remove them again. They seem to be a metal compression gasket so I'm not sure If i could reuse them or have to buy new ones since they're virtually flat now. They have like 2 miles on them :wan:

On a similar note does anyone know the torque spec for the collector half of the intake manifold? I might just go hand tight plus a quarter turn if I can't find out, thanks

lok
12-02-2020, 01:43 AM
Should be fine. I've reused mine when having to go back in after reinstall and had no problem

Boost leak test if you have doubts

For torque, download the FSM and use the what they call out. Even it's the s15 since there isn't an s13 english. It will get you in the ball park and isn't too critical.

DiscountPirate
12-04-2020, 11:22 AM
It is wise to keep a stash a used good parts just in case. Even if it's a $20 part it's better to keep a spare than throw in the trash. As far as torque imo unless it's an internal or mechanical part just torque it down (in the correct pattern) until they are all tight. Using both hands and a medium length handle socket wrench helps to feel it out.

LtSlayer
12-04-2020, 12:23 PM
Sounds good I’ll make sure to check it out

Goldfinger95
01-04-2021, 05:12 PM
Long as my gaskets don't look like they've been through war, I reuse them. As far as torquing goes, I've found an impact gun works best for mostly everything on these cars.

brndck
01-05-2021, 11:14 AM
Long as my gaskets don't look like they've been through war, I reuse them. As far as torquing goes, I've found an impact gun works best for mostly everything on these cars.

impact gun on a 12mm nut???
DUDE. NO.

:cj::spank:

Atill93
01-05-2021, 03:17 PM

lmao if it strips, it strips

brndck
01-05-2021, 04:06 PM
lmao if it strips, it strips

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/76263704.jpg

https://i.redd.it/3kxi46pcarvz.jpg

http://www.camaro6.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=831660&stc=1&d=1478544799

Goldfinger95
01-05-2021, 04:35 PM
I've never had one issue using my 3/8's dewalt compact on the two s14's I've worked on. To each their own.

brndck
01-06-2021, 08:29 AM
I've never had one issue using my 3/8's dewalt compact on the two s14's I've worked on. To each their own.

tomayto tomahto.

if you're in my shop and ask me for an impact gun, you're getting a 1/2" gun.

Kingtal0n
01-11-2021, 03:23 PM
When I was new to cars and very young I Picked up a 1/2 air impact gun in a serious shop and pulled the trigger stupidly just because. It had a 1/2" Swivel on it, leaning over to the side, so of course it shot off the gun like a bullet and could have seriously fucked somebody up, including me.

Those air guns are not trifles. I've seen alot of 'shops' using them but I would never assemble my car using one, not directly anyways (use a torque wrench for the final setting)

That said, sometimes its a bolt somewhere you really really don't want to come loose, and its just too far to reach for traditional hand tools... The air impact separates the real mechanics getting a job done in 5 minutes vs 2 hours of busting your knuckles with some hand tool.