PDA

View Full Version : Digital display. Can I do it with stock ecu????? Ijz from a jzx100 in my s13

kaytlin.240.love
10-27-2020, 07:20 AM
I have an s13 with a 1j vvti from a jzx100 in it and I can't decide how to do my gauges.
I want/need tach, speedo, fuel level, water temp, oil pressure, boost, afr.... I think that's it

There are alot of really neat options for clusters but the ones I've seen all need a stand alone and I'm already over my budget for this build and can't afford another 3k for display and ecu. The car had crappy glowshift gauges for everything but they all do not properly display data and I dont trust them with the new motor.

Krusty_s13
10-27-2020, 10:08 AM
I have an s13 with a 1j vvti from a jzx100 in it and I can't decide how to do my gauges.
I want/need tach, speedo, fuel level, water temp, oil pressure, boost, afr.... I think that's it

There are alot of really neat options for clusters but the ones I've seen all need a stand alone and I'm already over my budget for this build and can't afford another 3k for display and ecu. The car had crappy glowshift gauges for everything but they all do not properly display data and I dont trust them with the new motor.

There are some options for aftermarket displays that tap into the factory signals. Autometer invision for example. That will take care of speed/tach/oil press/water temp/volt/fuel. The rest of what you need can come from auxiliary guages. I don't think there is a display that will take care of all of those parameters without needing an aftermarket ecu, I could be wrong though.

crash n' burn
10-30-2020, 11:03 AM

All of these things can be done with a stock ECU. You'll just need gauges and senders wired up. I have a 110 but I'll toss in how I'm doing things.

I'm pretty sure the JZX100 has 2 both aren't both used, but my 110 had a spot for a water temp sender in the upper water neck. while I'm still using my stock cluster, I also have a bung in my radiator for my aftermarket gauge but it could easily go in the water neck as well.

Oil pressure, you can run a sandwich plate to add the sensor

Boost is self explanatory. Once you get rid of the fuel dampener, you will have an open port for a source

AFR, obviously in an aftermarket downpipe

I have a BT100 to handle speedo as well as tach conversion. Speedo is created through a GPS receiver (but plenty of options exist for that as well depending on your trans)

Fuel, you'll just have to tap in to the original wiring and the gauge can be programed for what the float reads throughout it's range

6 gauges can be powered by a single 30amp relay if you're not keeping the stock wiring harness. Tight Fit Fab on here actually makes a gauge cluster pigtail for aftermarket stuff that's really good and should make this a breeze to set up so you don't have 8 sub harnesses trying to be tucked up behind the dash to the cluster hood.