PDA

View Full Version : Drop Knuckles (2020)

Marphie21
06-23-2020, 03:09 AM
Hey there, im trying to get actual reviews/ thoughts on the modern drop knuckles available to us today. Google searches just link to advertisements and retailer sites, but nothing about real life experiences with the products from users.

Driftworks Geomaster 3
GKtech's latest version
Parts shop max

Personally im looking into the Geomasters or GKtech for my S13 Street/Drift/Track day car. Unsure about the Pros and Cons of each.

samotage
06-23-2020, 03:28 AM
Gktech are the bomb

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

relaxamigo
06-23-2020, 08:26 AM
Lot of info below:

https://relaxamigo.com/2019/08/11/coalescing-function-and-form-rear-drop-knuckles-and-new-adjustable-arms/

Bluejayde
06-24-2020, 06:50 AM
Here's a shit ton of info going back to 2009- https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=296725

That said, I too am looking for info; trying to decide which direction to go for a low street car.

Marphie21
06-24-2020, 07:11 AM
Here's a shit ton of info going back to 2009- https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=296725

That said, I too am looking for info; trying to decide which direction to go for a low street car.

Yeah but barely any info on the newer offerings on the market.

JrDarknes
06-24-2020, 08:51 AM
Idk if gktech has any issues with the z32 ebrake assembly but I hated the PBM one because installing the z32 e brake assembly is a pain. The nut that tightens that assembly interferes with the RLCA Nut so you have to cut the z32 e brake nut on one side so you can tighten it without it interfering with the other nut.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQYYWdHjPR6/

Also my voodoo arms could barely fit the PBM knuckle, I had to bend the tabs a bit. I personally wouldnt recommend them. Only thing I am happy about is how my car sits in the rear now. Reading that blog from RelaxAmgio I would say Geomaster> Gktech > PBM. I dont drift my car or track it (yet), so I cant really give a input on that.

PoorMans180SX
06-24-2020, 09:51 AM
I have Geomaster 3's on a car that will be running very soon. I'll be posting a review. I really like the fit and finish.

Marphie21
06-24-2020, 06:46 PM
I have Geomaster 3's on a car that will be running very soon. I'll be posting a review. I really like the fit and finish.

Awesome! Will be looking forward to your review

2_Liter_Turbo
07-01-2020, 07:03 AM
Only one's that I have personal experience with are PBM and GKTech.

The fit and finish on the GKTech's were not very good at all. I believe the set (front and rear) that I had were from about 2016, so whatever the current versions were at that time. I sold them and bought PBM (I wanted the alternate geometry of the GKTech's, but I wasn't happy with the quality and they wouldn't fit my front brake kit of the time or the voodoo arms I had at the time). This was all on my road race S14.

The rear PBMs were tight on the Z32 e-brake stuff, but I was able to get everything installed without too much hassle. The rest bolted just fine to the SPL rear arms I now run as well as the voodoo arms I had when I first bought them. Hard to say the difference they made because literally the entire car's suspension changed at the same time.

The front PBM knuckles I literally just bought for my S13 because it'll be more setup for drifting than road racing, but I haven't bolted them to anything yet. Only thing I can say is that they look nice, but are 1.9 lbs heavier than stock knuckles (each), which is kind of a bummer. It makes sense per the design, but I think they could have improved the casting a bit. I'll still rock them for awhile though, as this car is more of a budget build.

I'd be interested in seeing what the geometry of the geomaster knuckles are as well as the fit & finish quality. Especially the rear, as I need another rear set of knuckles. I'd move the PBMs to my drift car and put them on the grip car.

Marphie21
07-01-2020, 09:09 AM
Only one's that I have personal experience with are PBM and GKTech.

The fit and finish on the GKTech's were not very good at all. I believe the set (front and rear) that I had were from about 2016, so whatever the current versions were at that time. I sold them and bought PBM (I wanted the alternate geometry of the GKTech's, but I wasn't happy with the quality and they wouldn't fit my front brake kit of the time or the voodoo arms I had at the time). This was all on my road race S14.

The rear PBMs were tight on the Z32 e-brake stuff, but I was able to get everything installed without too much hassle. The rest bolted just fine to the SPL rear arms I now run as well as the voodoo arms I had when I first bought them. Hard to say the difference they made because literally the entire car's suspension changed at the same time.

The front PBM knuckles I literally just bought for my S13 because it'll be more setup for drifting than road racing, but I haven't bolted them to anything yet. Only thing I can say is that they look nice, but are 1.9 lbs heavier than stock knuckles (each), which is kind of a bummer. It makes sense per the design, but I think they could have improved the casting a bit. I'll still rock them for awhile though, as this car is more of a budget build.

I'd be interested in seeing what the geometry of the geomaster knuckles are as well as the fit & finish quality. Especially the rear, as I need another rear set of knuckles. I'd move the PBMs to my drift car and put them on the grip car.

I actually have a full set of geomaster 2s. Finish is concerning. Their new (at the time) coating didnt seem to be very effective. There are spots of rust and inside the sheet metal design of the knuckle seems to have more blemishes that i cant reach.

As for fitment, they seemed to have fit without much problem, altho i didnt use a drum brake in the rear.

The brake caliper brackets looked like they werent aligned, but after test fitting everything, there doesnr seem to be weird braking issues YET. I havent really tested the car yet aside from driving it in teaffic back and forth from the alignment shop. We put the set on my drift car, but these were supposed to go on my all-out-dream spec 180sx street car. I think id rather go for a more modern set of knuckles with better quality for my 180sx build. Im just trying to figure out which brand caters more towards my goals.

-stock drum brake no problem
-maximum roll center correction
-steering geometry suited for aggressive drifting at the track, but also be able to put down great lap times

Compromised, but able to do anything fun i want to do.

The new GKtechs state that for s13 era rear subframes, their rear knuckle adds quite a bit more anti squat and it would be best to pair the knuckle with their s13 anti squat reduction kit (modify the rear subframe). The new DW collab with wisefab (Geomaster 3) doesnt state anything about anti squat tho. Id like to use a set that is perfect for the s13 rear end out of the box if possible.

2_Liter_Turbo
07-01-2020, 03:03 PM
I actually have a full set of geomaster 2s. Finish is concerning. Their new (at the time) coating didnt seem to be very effective. There are spots of rust and inside the sheet metal design of the knuckle seems to have more blemishes that i cant reach.

As for fitment, they seemed to have fit without much problem, altho i didnt use a drum brake in the rear.

The brake caliper brackets looked like they werent aligned, but after test fitting everything, there doesnr seem to be weird braking issues YET. I havent really tested the car yet aside from driving it in teaffic back and forth from the alignment shop. We put the set on my drift car, but these were supposed to go on my all-out-dream spec 180sx street car. I think id rather go for a more modern set of knuckles with better quality for my 180sx build. Im just trying to figure out which brand caters more towards my goals.

-stock drum brake no problem
-maximum roll center correction
-steering geometry suited for aggressive drifting at the track, but also be able to put down great lap times

Compromised, but able to do anything fun i want to do.

The new GKtechs state that for s13 era rear subframes, their rear knuckle adds quite a bit more anti squat and it would be best to pair the knuckle with their s13 anti squat reduction kit (modify the rear subframe). The new DW collab with wisefab (Geomaster 3) doesnt state anything about anti squat tho. Id like to use a set that is perfect for the s13 rear end out of the box if possible.

Thanks for the info on the GEO 2s! It's definitely tough to design knuckles that are tailored for everyone, ha ha.