PDA

View Full Version : S14 fuel line leak or cracked??? Need your help

TheVinylKingz
06-12-2020, 11:38 PM
Hey ladies and fellas, my s14 just started leaking fuel from the rear passenger side. I checked the bulkhead and there's no leaks.

Before I drop the fuel tank, which I really don't want to, what do you all of you think? Is it leaking from a crack(s) or from the 2 soft lines coming from the top of the bulkhead down to the hardlines. Those 2 send and return lines are hidden and I can?t seem to find them in the rear of the tank leading to the hardlines.

The fuel tank picture is a random pic found online in order to explain the area of the leak. The other is a pic of the actual leak.

https://imgur.com/0oUoxwf

https://imgur.com/OcBStBg

afishysilvia
06-13-2020, 01:03 AM
If you really don’t wanna drop the take and do it the right way start by replacing the two lines going up on the side. Prime it and see if it leaks, then you’ll have your answer. 99.9% your tank is leaking however.

TheVinylKingz
06-13-2020, 02:44 AM
I’m going to attempt to swap out the rubber lines... worst case scenario got to patch or source out a tank?

Anyone ever “welded” / fussed plastic????? On these s14 fuel tanks?

afishysilvia
06-13-2020, 02:53 AM
I?m going to attempt to swap out the rubber lines... worst case scenario got to patch or source out a tank?

Anyone ever ?welded? / fussed plastic????? On these s14 fuel tanks?

Doesn?t hurt, if you plan to drop your tank to patch it (if it still leaks) then the hoses will be new so you?re a step ahead.

Welded and patched ones have worked just fine. I?m local to SoCal, I have a few extra tanks I could part with. I suggest adding strap rubber or another form of protection on the metal straps that hold the tank up.

Silv1401
06-13-2020, 04:02 PM
Pretty unlikely that the soft lines are the culprit, especially up in the cold, rather dry area they run. I would recommend just ripping the bandaid and dropping the tank, because that is about 99% of the reason 14s leak fuel.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

S14rebuild
06-13-2020, 05:23 PM
100% your tank..super common

TheVinylKingz
06-14-2020, 03:13 PM
So basically I’m screwed!! Ok so if I repair or replace fuel tanks, what Rubber straps Would y’all recommend?

I was thinking of rubber straps I’m between the OEM and tank in order to make sure the OEM metal straps don’t rub on the tank.

S14rebuild
06-14-2020, 03:15 PM
Lets start by dropn the tank and seeing exactly where is cracked and leaking...

jedi03
06-17-2020, 08:49 AM
+1 drop tank...let your fuel pump run w/your fuel feed line going into a large bucket (s) so you can keep the fuel so your tank is as empty as can be when you prepare to take it out

TheVinylKingz
06-17-2020, 11:52 AM
I?ll be doing this fuel tank swap this weekend. I have located a ?good condition used fuel tank? complete. If the tank on my s14 needs minor repair and I have time I will attempt to fix it by ?welding / melting plastic on it with a welding rod for circuit boards? . I?ll take pics and give an update as well.

Question does anyone know were to find the ?fuel pump? fuse on the s14? I?ve searched and people have said it?s a blue relay others have said it?s an actual fuse like the one found on the s13 engine bay.

tjdionson
06-17-2020, 04:22 PM
fuel pump fuse is located on the kick panel by the driver's side.

Carbonsnail
08-02-2020, 05:49 AM
@afishysilvia: I'm having the same issue with my 1992 240SX does the 99.9% rule of thumb also apply concerning leaking fuel tanks on S13 model cars as well? Yesterday day when I started the motor and backed out of my garage I saw that perhaps 1/4 gallon of gas had come out within one minutes time. Should I just assume that the tank is the problem and order a replacement? Thank you.

S14rebuild
08-02-2020, 09:02 AM
Check all the fuel lines/hoses first

S14 tanks leak cause they are plastic. S13bare stefl(can rust thru)

If the leak is only happening whike key on/running its not the tank.

Take the service plate off that goes to the fuel pump n check that area aswell

Carbonsnail
08-02-2020, 09:28 AM
Thank you for the info I will follow your advice today.

inferno s14
08-05-2020, 07:51 AM
Check bulkhead, s14s are crack heads.
Heard of leaks because of cracks on bulkhead.

Kingtal0n
08-09-2020, 01:53 AM
Every S14 and even the S15 'tank topper' thing leaks when the tank is full. I've had it fill with gasoline on every car. I think they are designed to do that for whatever reason. Because I always remove it and there is no crack or anything.

I think there is something going on with the vent BS but I never cared enough to figure out what or why.