PDA

View Full Version : ECU of Choice Nowadays

slider2828
06-05-2020, 06:50 PM
Hey Guys,

Need some advice.

I am finishing up my car and I've been running PowerFC DJetro for years.... Its ok, but I would like my ecu to have a few more safety parameters...

I know Link ECUs are upcoming and Haltechs / AEM have been around for a long time.... I don't really want to bother with trigger wheels and stuff

I was hoping something good that is plug and play...

Car setup is LS2 Coils, built top and bottom end, GT2871R Ext Wastegated.... all the support mods, etc....

Looking to down around 4-450 whp....

What do you guys think?

TheRealSy90
06-05-2020, 07:01 PM
I did a full infinity setup 2-3 years ago and ended up parting that car out, at the time a lot of people were having issues with their infinity ecu's but i've heard it "might" be better now.

Looking at doing a standalone again nowadays and it seems a lot of people are liking the Link EMS even some that were hardcore AEM people.

TLDR Probably going to go with a LINK setup myself as they seem to be very user and tuner friendly and can do Flex Fuel even with the plug n play ecu.

afishysilvia
06-05-2020, 07:24 PM
I’m using link ecu on both my vehicles, one LS and one Beams. Extremely easy platform to be working on.

jr_ss
06-05-2020, 07:51 PM
Haltech can read your factory CAS. It was built and designed around Nissan sensors years ago.

slider2828
06-05-2020, 08:30 PM
But the link can too?

jr_ss
06-05-2020, 09:45 PM
But the link can too?

I never said it couldn?t?

To be honest, I haven?t looked at ECU?s in years except to trouble shoot items on my PS2000, which has never been an issue with the ECU itself. I was mostly referring to your comment where you looped in Haltech and AEM together and dealing with trigger wheels.

Silv1401
06-05-2020, 11:27 PM
Might want to take a look at ECU Masters EMU Black. Don't have any first hand with one, but it has a pretty impressive spec list for a nice price.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

e1_griego
06-05-2020, 11:40 PM
Link PnP for me. Similar story -- PFC for years and finally bought a real ecu. It's great, no complaints at all. Software is easy to use, as well.

PoorMans180SX
06-06-2020, 10:35 AM
Link just updated the plug-in line to their G4X processors. It's what I'll be running on the new car.

icedsole
06-06-2020, 11:56 AM
Another +1 for LINK G4 I was previously running a power fc djetro and made the switch when upgrading to bigger turbo cams etc. and I couldn't be happier. Im also running their CAN Lambda and wideband. I def have a lot more confidence in the tune over the pfc and the added convenience of your tuner being able to remote in and make adjustments/checks if needed is great.

Agamemnon
06-06-2020, 08:30 PM
Another +1 for LINK G4 I was previously running a power fc djetro and made the switch when upgrading to bigger turbo cams etc. and I couldn't be happier. Im also running their CAN Lambda and wideband. I def have a lot more confidence in the tune over the pfc and the added convenience of your tuner being able to remote in and make adjustments/checks if needed is great.
Did you end up going with their plug-n-play G4 ECU? Are you looking into a CAN gauge cluster(i.e. AIM/AEM CDx) or are looking to stay stock Zenki cluster?

icedsole
06-06-2020, 08:41 PM
Did you end up going with their plug-n-play G4 ECU? Are you looking into a CAN gauge cluster(i.e. AIM/AEM CDx) or are looking to stay stock Zenki cluster?

Yeah mine is their plug and play ecu. I have thought about it and while their cluster is very cool and tempting to get I think it will look out of place in my interior. Pretty sure if you are already running the ecu the dash display is super easy to install like 4 wires maybe?

e1_griego
06-07-2020, 12:52 AM
I run one of these: https://gaugeart.com/product/gaugeart-can-gauge/

I wanted to keep stock dash but I like having all the sensor readouts.

afishysilvia
06-07-2020, 12:58 AM

I use the Link Altezza PnP on my GXE10 and am using all my factory gauges with no issues.

NukeKS14
06-07-2020, 08:11 AM
I run one of these: https://gaugeart.com/product/gaugeart-can-gauge/

I wanted to keep stock dash but I like having all the sensor readouts.

oh nice! I feel the same about the stock dash and went a similar route;

https://perfecttuning.net/en/22-gauge

They've got an OBD2 version and CANbus as well. I'm running their CANbus variant with my Megasquirt 2 but it's nice to know there are others out there. That gaugeart one looks very subtle, I like it! I'll be tracking my car and wanted the benefit of the LEDs and maybe adding a speaker for custom alarms I've programmed for oil pressure and oil temperature. The LEDs on the perfecttuning gauge get VERY bright when not dimmed.

OP;
I'm happy with my MS2 based ECU and I know diyautotune makes a plug-and-play variant for the SR20s as well as the KAs. I honestly wish I would have just bought an MS3 kit and wired it in though. Boost by gear and some of the other functionality would be nice, as the limitations of MS2 are starting to show in its age. It's a great ecu for the pricepoint and I have a lot of safety features like IAT based timing retard and CLT based rev-limit (chevy is touting this on the C7/C8 Corvettes like it's bleeding edge tech.) among others. Buddy is running an MS3 pnp setup on his Miata and I'm jealous of all of the extra functionality he has over me. To add to second-hand experience, friend running a Haltech on his CA18 S14 likes it a lot. Another friend running my legacy AEM EMS on his KA-T setup is switching to Megasquirt. He's been having issues with his ECU (we think) and AEM offers ZERO support for it. Something else to think about long-term.

Lots of good choices for your power goals. I'd think about other functionality too like FLEX-fuel/blending maps (If you ever think you're going to do this down the road,) some of the ECUs really set themselves apart here, moreseo the Haltech than the Megasquirt.

I guess the TL;DR of my post is, count my vote as a -1 to MS. *edit* apparently the SR requires the optical trigger wheel swap. Doesn't on the KA, apologies.*/edit*. Also count me for a -1 on AEM for their legacy support, depending on how long you're going to have the car. +1 vote for Haltech based on second-hand testimony from the shop I worked with on my final tune and and friend's experience on his CA18.

e1_griego
06-07-2020, 09:10 AM
I have an ms3 pnp in my miata. It's ..... fine.

It's about the same price as a Link and the Link is a lot better.

Megasquirt is built by engineers, for engineers. The Link is easier to use for sure.

TheRealSy90
06-08-2020, 03:33 PM
I'm trying to figure out if I want to run a Link PnP on the stock engine harness, or get a Wiring Specialties harness. I think it's weird that they have a specific Link PnP check box on their harness options when it's supposed to work with the stock harness.

slider2828
06-11-2020, 11:20 PM
I'm trying to figure out if I want to run a Link PnP on the stock engine harness, or get a Wiring Specialties harness. I think it's weird that they have a specific Link PnP check box on their harness options when it's supposed to work with the stock harness.

That is so weird. Also is the link like just a board that I swap out. I know they sell this plastic boxes for the link. Is the SR20DET pnp the G4+? I see like stuff about fury and atom editions, does that apply to SRs?

e1_griego
06-11-2020, 11:46 PM
The PnPs are based on the G4+ extreme, iirc.

They do fit in a factory case, though for my car I just bought a stanza ecu on ebay for $12 instead of taking about a perfectly good stock ECU.

After that you can add expansion looms for extra inputs/outputs with the couple of expansions plugs on the main board.

This is what my ecu looks like at this point:
https://i.imgur.com/Hg8rST0l.png

Added in fuel pressure sensor, oil pressure sensor, CANgauge and wideband, and set up for DBW (so pedal and tb) and flex fuel.

MrChow
06-12-2020, 03:16 AM
=o

Link has grown a lot and is only get more support.

NukeKS14
06-12-2020, 06:56 AM
That is so weird. Also is the link like just a board that I swap out. I know they sell this plastic boxes for the link. Is the SR20DET pnp the G4+? I see like stuff about fury and atom editions, does that apply to SRs?

Like a lot of ecus, there are generic and application specific. My guess is the ws harness that says link is for a generic unit but you could also use the oem plug with an application specific one. I'd talk to ws and verify though

PoorMans180SX
06-12-2020, 09:04 AM

The link plugin for S-chassis SR20 (both 76 and 64 pin) have just been updated to G4X spec, with a faster processor and more memory.

https://dealers.linkecu.com/NS13X

https://dealers.linkecu.com/SSP%20Applications/NetSuite%20Inc.%20-%20SCA%202020.1/Development3/img/ECU%20Plugin%20G4X%20NS13.1.jpg?resizeid=3&resizeh=600&resizew=600

They probably do this so they don't get e-mails asking if their harness will work with the plug-in.

I'm debating building myself a plug-in harness... hmmm.

dorkidori_s13
06-12-2020, 10:30 AM
The link plugin for S-chassis SR20 (both 76 and 64 pin) have just been updated to G4X spec, with a faster processor and more memory.

im currently running a PFC DJetro and im curious... what does this Link ECM have over PFC as far as tuning? i know the PFC is ancient by todays standards. just curious what your find about the Link that you like over the PFC.

e1_griego
06-12-2020, 10:37 AM
I don't know that I have enough time to type it all out. Any modern ECU does that stuff, not unique to Link at all.

Wideband o2 feedback
Programmable failsafes
Tons of 3d tables, adjustable inputs/outputs
CAN setup for better gauges/dash
Flex fuel
Knock control

Even things like idle control just work a ton better. My IACV has never been super happy and the Link dgaf. You can rescale the axes and do anything else.

I went from PFC to Link. PFC works fine, but it's ancient and doesn't have anything you can add to it.

edit: forgot one of the best parts: logging. 1+ hour of capacity for logging everything I want (more or less depending on how many things at what rate)

TheRealSy90
06-12-2020, 12:11 PM
Can the Link PnP sr20 ecu run a wideband o2 feedback in place of the factory narrow band o2? Like I could just wire the wideband output signal to the narrowband wire.

inopsey
06-12-2020, 12:19 PM
whats with this link shit??

in my experience link has the worst customer service in the industry. bought a brand new plug in G4 for the sr20 engine and the unit did not work, would not connect to the PC for initial setup ( a brand new unit right out of the box). i worked with link to troubleshoot the issue and it was determined that the a new ECU was delivered to a customer fried. Link wanted me to send the ecu to their headquarters for repair all at my cost instead of replacing a brand new $1500 ecu that was defective from factory. (I bought this ecu from one of their authorized dealers )

I filled a credit card claim and got my money back, bought a haltech and havent had any issue at all. Link is a poor choice when looking to spend money on a ecu go with a company that is proven to make a quality product and will actually stand behind it such as haltech.

NJs13_1993
06-12-2020, 12:24 PM
Can the Link PnP sr20 ecu run a wideband o2 feedback in place of the factory narrow band o2? Like I could just wire the wideband output signal to the narrowband wire.
You should be able to. I just got done setting up my brothers G4+ in his turbo miata and we were told by the tuner he prefered it that way over the stock O2

TheRealSy90
06-12-2020, 12:47 PM
It seems like Haltech likes to have a separate module for everything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e1_griego
06-12-2020, 12:50 PM
There are probably a half a dozen shops in this area that are Link dealers, and my friend's shop is one which is the reason I bought one. Not because it's necessarily the end all, be all. Any of the modern ECUs have the same features.

Mostly it's a testament to go with the ecu that your tuner is familiar with.

TheRealSy90
06-12-2020, 12:51 PM
99.99% of anybody on this forum isn?t going for the top of the line stuff anyways (Pectel, Bosch, Life Racing, Emtron)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

e1_griego
06-12-2020, 12:55 PM
Well duh. If you have modern motorsport money why are you playing with 30 year old shitboxes.

battery1882
06-12-2020, 02:40 PM
used AEM v1 for SR. then moved to AEM infinity for 2j!

PoorMans180SX
06-12-2020, 10:54 PM
im currently running a PFC DJetro and im curious... what does this Link ECM have over PFC as far as tuning? i know the PFC is ancient by todays standards. just curious what your find about the Link that you like over the PFC.

Closed loop 02 sensor control
Closed loop boost control
Much higher resolution tables
closed loop knock control
Way faster processing speed
Individual cylinder correction
CAN communication
built in map sensor
constant baro correction
Programmable failsafes for oil pressure, fuel pressure, wideband, etc
Soft rev limit
Flex fuel
etc, etc, etc.

whats with this link shit??

in my experience link has the worst customer service in the industry. bought a brand new plug in G4 for the sr20 engine and the unit did not work, would not connect to the PC for initial setup ( a brand new unit right out of the box). i worked with link to troubleshoot the issue and it was determined that the a new ECU was delivered to a customer fried. Link wanted me to send the ecu to their headquarters for repair all at my cost instead of replacing a brand new $1500 ecu that was defective from factory. (I bought this ecu from one of their authorized dealers

I filled a credit card claim and got my money back, bought a haltech and havent had any issue at all. Link is a poor choice when looking to spend money on a ecu go with a company that is proven to make a quality product and will actually stand behind it such as haltech.

Not sure when this happened, but I've installed a bunch of Link products and they've been great, and their customer support has been good to me as well. They're in tons of top-notch cars in motorsports.

Yep, and you can even have it communicate with the ECU over CAN, which is incredibly fast.

Dboyizmlg
06-13-2020, 10:52 AM
Subscribe right now!

Def
06-13-2020, 07:31 PM
That PnP Link is pretty pricey... They seem to be pushing a lot with advertisements these days, but I just didn't see any real benefit over an AEM Infinity 506 when I put a new standalone on my SW20.

It had a MS PNP (MS2 based), and the thing was horribly unreliable. I had 3 hardware failures in the MS within ~6 months. I got tired of constantly troubleshooting the thing and being faced with a many hundred dollar repair bill that rivaled the value of the unit with constant failures. I also wasn't a huge fan of the MS software, or the limited functionality. It felt like I went back 20 years on hardware capability.

MS3 is a tad better, but still lacking some basic functionality (DBW control etc., can't remember if it does onboard lambda).

Haltech is interesting, but also kinda pricey here compared to AEM's street pricing. My dealer discount made the AEM a clear winner again, plus I've been using an Infinity for over 6 years at this point. The software is pretty easy to use once you get the hang of it.

PoorMans180SX
06-13-2020, 11:02 PM
I’m not a big fan of how infinity doesn’t let you see trigger scopes.

Haltech is solid, but they definitely give you less options when it comes to configuring your I/O’s and triggers.

MS2 is definitely lame, the Link software is the most intuitive one I’ve used, and I’ve been in Haltech, Infinity, and MS3pro.

Thewelder
06-16-2020, 07:42 AM
Why don’t people like the NismoTronicSA. Cheap plug and play and can control everything most stand alones can do. It’s only short fall is probably some of the fail safes the nicer ones can do. But hard to beat for the price.

economix
06-17-2020, 06:22 AM
So I'm just gonna ask, is anyone messing with the MegaSquirt at all? I have been looking at those because the price is nice and it seems to be a decent unit but I don't know anyone running or tuning one. Just got a 1995 180SX (3 weeks ago) and am sorting it out but bolting on things here and there and have been trying to determine my Engine MGT for it and the MegaSquirt has what I (think I) want for the price.

All the best,

e

TheRealSy90
06-17-2020, 11:35 AM
So I'm just gonna ask, is anyone messing with the MegaSquirt at all? I have been looking at those because the price is nice and it seems to be a decent unit but I don't know anyone running or tuning one. Just got a 1995 180SX (3 weeks ago) and am sorting it out but bolting on things here and there and have been trying to determine my Engine MGT for it and the MegaSquirt has what I (think I) want for the price.

All the best,

e

Look three posts above yours.

RalliartRsX
06-17-2020, 12:30 PM
Megasquirt is dedicated to miata

Most of the aub 1-2k ecus provide most of the same functionality

Pick whatever your tuner is comfortable with

blackmags91
06-18-2020, 12:43 PM
Someone mentioned ECU Masters on the first page and it was breezed over. I am no tuner or competitive racer, but I am thoroughly impressed with my ECU Masters Black for the price with my street car.

MADE
06-18-2020, 09:31 PM
Well duh. If you have modern motorsport money why are you playing with 30 year old shitboxes.Cause nostalgia.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

samotage
06-19-2020, 03:57 AM
Here I?m Australia, it?s Haltech, the local guys. I?ve just ordered an elite 15 with the patch harness kit for an S14A, simplicity with expansion for all the goodies.

Support is probably one of the most important considerations, both from the manufacturer, installer and tuner, so many small bits to get together and correct. And it?s surprising how much variation in wiring schemes there are over the SR20det across various chassis...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

slider2828
06-20-2020, 10:45 AM
Here I?m Australia, it?s Haltech, the local guys. I?ve just ordered an elite 15 with the patch harness kit for an S14A, simplicity with expansion for all the goodies.

Support is probably one of the most important considerations, both from the manufacturer, installer and tuner, so many small bits to get together and correct. And it?s surprising how much variation in wiring schemes there are over the SR20det across various chassis...

I guess Link isn't popular down under? No much local support?

Yeah there are a LOT of variations especially the different SR engines out there...

Kingtal0n
06-28-2020, 07:38 PM
I recommend: Haltech, AEM, PFC (+ arduino for control), HPtuners

I avoid: megasquirt, not because megasquirt itself sucks but more because the setup involved confuses the owners to the point where every car I find that has a megasquirt needs 100 things fixed to work properly with the megasquirt, and I enjoy TUNING vehicles not FIXING them just so I can tune them ten years later when everything is finally sorted.

DJPimpFlex
06-29-2020, 12:20 AM
For LS? Holley is the stuff.

samotage
06-29-2020, 04:27 AM
Haltech elite 1500 arrived today, amazing tech, and I can now appreciate the modularity, which brings complexity, but it?s there for a reason, like the wideband expansion.

Watch Al?s vids from the skid factory for all the why, from LS to a little four cylinder like the SR.

TheRealSy90
06-29-2020, 08:33 AM
Why have all the modules when you can get an ecu that has a lot of the same features already built in?

cured13
06-29-2020, 02:59 PM
Why have all the modules when you can get an ecu that has a lot of the same features already built in?

Exactly! It's 2020 and things are cheaper, faster, simpler and more reliable.
That's what is expected today, otherwise there is no point buying new.

samotage
06-29-2020, 03:09 PM

For example, the patch out cable is the same across a bunch of models, with just a plug connector to specialise. Or you may choose a full harness.

Not everyone wants 8 EGT sensors, or an e-dash, or even a wideband. Also, if the wideband sensor able gets fried on the exhaust, which happens, the main ECU does not short out, saving lots of $

We customise things, and don?t mind a modular Wastegate example. People w

samotage
06-29-2020, 03:09 PM
Whom want it all in the box and cheap, just buy a Camry ;)

PoorMans180SX
06-29-2020, 04:23 PM
Ordered my G4X plug in today. Should be here in a couple days and I’ll take some pics of the install with expansion harnesses.

slider2828
06-30-2020, 12:55 AM
Ordered my G4X plug in today. Should be here in a couple days and I?ll take some pics of the install with expansion harnesses.

I did too!!! *Virtual Hi Five* I went full ham shiet....

Went with wide band, 2 bosch pressure/temp sensor, the expansion loom, 3 bar map sensor, 3 port boost controller, IAT sensor....

Paid Retailer :'(

samotage
06-30-2020, 02:37 AM
Wow! Everyone is getting ECUs! Those links look really nice :D. Good job on the wideband.

I haven?t got the wideband kit yet, will come, also planning on fuel and oil pressure sensing amongst other additions.

TheRealSy90
06-30-2020, 09:04 AM

Went with wide band, 2 bosch pressure/temp sensor, the expansion loom, 3 bar map sensor, 3 port boost controller, IAT sensor....

Are you building your own wiring harness?

slider2828
06-30-2020, 09:29 AM
Nah its just plug and play.... Out of the box it supports all of that....

All the sensors sold have the female ends to attached to it and very well documented the pinout. They have expansion harness, but I will just add onto that with extensions to the actual sensor.

Truthfully, I want to thank Sammit from Youtube, I jumped into Linkecu seeing what he has done with his skyline.

I think I am going to start a LinkECU thread too to just put up information about sensor wiring diagrams and install.

slider2828
06-30-2020, 11:34 AM
Are you building your own wiring harness?

On that note.... What fireproof sleeving should I use? I was looking at Aramid Kevlar? what do you guys think?

slider2828
06-30-2020, 12:50 PM
Ordered my G4X plug in today. Should be here in a couple days and I?ll take some pics of the install with expansion harnesses.

Man... mine is backordered with Enjuku.... did you get one on the way? in stock?

TheRealSy90
06-30-2020, 03:25 PM
Huh, I figured i'd have to get a full engine harness built and wired for all the extra sensors i would want to run, which is what I had to do with my aem infinity setup.

PoorMans180SX
07-01-2020, 05:48 AM

Woot!Went with wide band, 2 bosch pressure/temp sensor, the expansion loom, 3 bar map sensor, 3 port boost controller, IAT sensor....

Not going to utilize the integrated 4-bar map? I'm doing two bosch press/temp (oil and fuel), a Rife pressure sensor for coolant, Rife IAT, three port boost control, Continental flex-fuel sensor, and just having the AEM X-line wideband communicate with the ecu via CAN.

Nah its just plug and play.... Out of the box it supports all of that....

All the sensors sold have the female ends to attached to it and very well documented the pinout. They have expansion harness, but I will just add onto that with extensions to the actual sensor.

Truthfully, I want to thank Sammit from Youtube, I jumped into Linkecu seeing what he has done with his skyline.

I think I am going to start a LinkECU thread too to just put up information about sensor wiring diagrams and install.

A Link thread sounds like a good idea! Yeah I just add a couple Deutsch DTM connectors 30cm off the ecu just so I can unplug things quickly if need be.

I've been using a lot of this stuff for heat shielding lately.

https://www.designengineering.com/heat-sheath-gold/

I'll ask, but I think mine was in-stock at the US Link branch. The shop I used to work at was the biggest Link ECU retailer in America in 2019.

Huh, I figured i'd have to get a full engine harness built and wired for all the extra sensors i would want to run, which is what I had to do with my aem infinity setup.

Yeah, even I'm not going to do that at this point. The expansion harness is separate, which is where you're going to be adding additional sensors. The whole advantage is that you don't have to build a harness. Later down the road? Sure, I want to do e-throttle and some other stuff, but for now, plug and go!

BTW: I was told by the tuner at Whalen's that the OEM trigger disc isn't super consistent, especially at high rpm. He recommended the DIYautotune 12-slot trigger, so I snagged one. Shipped in one day!

https://i.imgur.com/mAOBsG1l.jpg

slider2828
07-01-2020, 03:05 PM
Not going to utilize the integrated 4-bar map? I'm doing two bosch press/temp (oil and fuel), a Rife pressure sensor for coolant, Rife IAT, three port boost control, Continental flex-fuel sensor, and just having the AEM X-line wideband communicate with the ecu via CAN.

A Link thread sounds like a good idea! Yeah I just add a couple Deutsch DTM connectors 30cm off the ecu just so I can unplug things quickly if need be.

I've been using a lot of this stuff for heat shielding lately.

https://www.designengineering.com/heat-sheath-gold/

I'll ask, but I think mine was in-stock at the US Link branch. The shop I used to work at was the biggest Link ECU retailer in America in 2019.

Yeah, even I'm not going to do that at this point. The expansion harness is separate, which is where you're going to be adding additional sensors. The whole advantage is that you don't have to build a harness. Later down the road? Sure, I want to do e-throttle and some other stuff, but for now, plug and go!

BTW: I was told by the tuner at Whalen's that the OEM trigger disc isn't super consistent, especially at high rpm. He recommended the DIYautotune 12-slot trigger, so I snagged one. Shipped in one day!

https://i.imgur.com/mAOBsG1l.jpg

Dang great idea about the 12 slot trigger wheel.... should be plug and play? I just bought one too.

Why the Rife stuff? All my stuff was just from link.

I dont want to run a long vac tube all the way to ecu. Something is going to nick or cut it and then i am just going to be searching around forever. I try to keep all my vacuum tubes short and visibile so i can just easily replace it vs. Guessing. Just me...

slider2828
07-01-2020, 03:33 PM
Just started the thread here for link reference:
https://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=676648

samotage
07-01-2020, 05:16 PM
I don?t like the idea of a long vac tube either, more from the perspective of the little air molecules and their journey. I?d rather have wires through the firewall, which will be rooting anyway from extra sensors.

PoorMans180SX
07-02-2020, 06:12 AM
Dang great idea about the 12 slot trigger wheel.... should be plug and play? I just bought one too.

I dont want to run a long vac tube all the way to ecu. Something is going to nick or cut it and then i am just going to be searching around forever. I try to keep all my vacuum tubes short and visibile so i can just easily replace it vs. Guessing. Just me...

Yeah you can just setup the trigger pattern in the Link software and you're good to go.
I'll probably run a braided line just for safety sake. I've run it on a few GT-R's and it's worked great, just have to take the necessary precautions when securing the line.

I'm mounting all my sensors in remote locations, so the fuel press/temp will be at the fpr and the oil press/temp will be in the oil cooler line. Pressure sensors don't really like vibrations (being mounted to the engine). I didn't want to have to mess with mounting the coolant pressure sensor in some weird bracket so the Rife sensor comes with a nice housing that already has a bracket and is already -3 AN. The IAT was honestly just me liking the design better, I've never been a big fan of IAT's from an aesthetic viewpoint and the Rife is low profile and has a potted pigtail I can seal up with raychem and a Deutsch connector.

TheRealSy90
07-02-2020, 08:50 AM
The oem trigger wheel is consistent, the problems comes with aftermarket ecu's being able to see all the windows on the wheel. The resolution is really too high for most of them so most change to the lower resolution trigger wheels.

PoorMans180SX
07-02-2020, 10:19 AM
The oem trigger wheel is consistent, the problems comes with aftermarket ecu's being able to see all the windows on the wheel. The resolution is really too high for most of them so most change to the lower resolution trigger wheels.

The Link can actually read it, and it will actually give you a scope of the signal. If you rev the thing past 5k you'll understand that it's not a great signal for clarity's sake. Pretty sure the stock ecu just DGAF after a certain rpm.

RalliartRsX
07-02-2020, 10:53 AM
Haltech, ecumaster and a host of other stand alones are also able to decode the standard SR20 wheel so yeah.

The idea that aftermaket ecus are unable to decode the 360 trigger wheel is a thing of the (decade or so,) past

inopsey
07-02-2020, 11:13 AM

Haltech, ecumaster and a host of other stand alones are also able to decode the standard SR20 wheel so yeah.

The idea that aftermaket ecus are unable to decode the 360 trigger wheel is a thing of the (decade or so,) past

i agree with RalliartRsX, haltech has had no issues with reading the oem cas wheel for over a decade. haltech was the first to crack the nissan cas because they do a lot of their testing on nissans for nissans.

why does your LINK tuner suggest the non oem wheel for the LINK ecu if its suppose to be on par with the haltech? just another reason to be selective about what ecu you put on a nissan

TheRealSy90
07-02-2020, 11:25 AM
So exactly what i was saying, at higher rpm's the ecu's have trouble reading the trigger windows.
Why do you people disagree with me while at the same time proving what I was saying... -_-

RalliartRsX
07-02-2020, 12:10 PM
....because what are saying is incorrect??

Which part of haltech and other ecus have decoded the sr20 CAS signal do you not understand?

What Poorman is saying is a 360 degree wheel gives a shit and unnecessarily super populated signal that really shows zero benefit to say a much more common and prolific 12+1 trigger setup. Poor is not saying ecus cannot decode, he is saying the stock 360 wheel.is not.....ideal.

The internet says shit like "no ecu can decode sr20 cas". Reality says it's available from the trigger wheel drop down of just about every single aftermarket ecu ;)

slider2828
07-03-2020, 02:28 PM
Look what the dog dragged in after getting sprayed by a skunk

How do i size a pic in bbc

https://i.imgur.com/i246kdx.jpg

slider2828
07-07-2020, 03:19 AM
Just to get another alternative to hall sensor and trigger kits. I really liked this solution. Probably going to them for a Harmonic Balancer.... They also have a Dry Sump for the RWD SR20DET at an affordable price:

https://rossperformanceparts.com/product/nissan-sr20-crank-angle-sensor-mount/

https://i.imgur.com/fz0oHPM.png

https://rossperformanceparts.com/product/nissan-sr20-harmonic-damper/

https://i.imgur.com/BAEyBrU.png

samotage
07-07-2020, 03:47 AM
For an RB26 with a stretchy belt drive cam and 10k rpms reluctors and crank triggers are probably required. An sr is an 8k motor with a non stretchy chain, the OEM sensor is just fine, unless perhaps you plan to dry sump, billet block and rev 10k with all the dragons that come with that scenario.

PoorMans180SX
08-14-2020, 09:30 AM
Well it looks like my Link Plug-in has finally been ordered. I got two Bosch Press/temp sensors for Fuel and oil (These are cheaper to buy from efisolutions in Australia and ship here than purchase stateside). Also a Rife pressure sensor for coolant and Rife fast acting 1/8npt IAT, which is pretty neat.

I didn't realize this, but if you have a flex-fuel sensor, that will transmit fuel temp data as well. So I will have a temp differential pre- and post- fuel pressure regulator, hah.

https://i.imgur.com/M9FWD6ah.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/22PMIGGh.jpg

Slider, how's your setup going?

Allen2688
08-14-2020, 12:35 PM
Anyone have thoughts on the new Haltech Nexus ECU?
Looks to be pretty great bang for the buck for a complete standalone setup when you consider it incorporates the pdm, wideband, data logging, along with tons of injectors and ignition outputs. All into one unit. Eliminates having to piece all these separate units together and make them happy talking to each other, when at the end of the day it would cost about the same.

Downside I see right now is there is no real plug and play harness solutions yet because its fresh on the market, and pinouts have changed since the elite series.

TheRealSy90
08-14-2020, 06:42 PM
it's really, really expensive.

zombiewolf513
08-14-2020, 07:54 PM
Well it looks like my Link Plug-in has finally been ordered. I got two Bosch Press/temp sensors for Fuel and oil (These are cheaper to buy from efisolutions in Australia and ship here than purchase stateside). Also a Rife pressure sensor for coolant and Rife fast acting 1/8npt IAT, which is pretty neat.

I didn't realize this, but if you have a flex-fuel sensor, that will transmit fuel temp data as well. So I will have a temp differential pre- and post- fuel pressure regulator, hah.

Making me feel like i need to switch from beat up old PFC sooner than later, what a nice setup! Kudos

Any reason why you chose the bosch temp/pressure sensors over the rife?

RalliartRsX
08-14-2020, 07:56 PM
It actually comes out to less than buying a haltech and a proper pdm or about the same

If you want to see expensive, look into syvecs or motec ans associated pdm

slider2828
08-14-2020, 11:22 PM

Slider, how's your setup going?

I just finished putting in oil and coolant bosch sensors.....
I also bought a Ross Performance Crank Damper race version with an under drive for the power steering.

The damper with the taarks ps pump relocator, I had to rebuy belts because the stock belt was now too long.... talk about PIA..... Also the mail truck in my area got broken into so they lost my upper radiator hose from P2M that has an incorporated bung for my coolant temp sensor....

Long story short senors are all in. I just made an ecu case outta 1/4" lexan that I got as scrap from a local plastic store. Cost me $4 lol....

That and a hand saw because I don't have a table saw, came out ok, certain parts are a little crooked LOL.... This weekend I will put in some stands in the ecu casing that I made to mount the link in there....

Coming along.... then wiring then firing!

spacemonkey
08-21-2020, 11:27 PM
Anyone else had this happen? Cap exploded on my S13's PFC :eek3:

https://i.imgur.com/g3SXvVe.jpg

slider2828
08-22-2020, 01:01 AM
Did you have a short or something? Its not unheard of on pfc. Ask apexi to fix it

samotage
08-22-2020, 04:28 AM
Poof! And the magic smoke escapes...

Simple enough to fix if you can solder ok, and know the value of the cap that fried.