PDA

View Full Version : S13 with Rb20det overheating on long drives

AONEplus
05-20-2020, 06:01 PM
Hi, this is my first post here, hope its in the correct section.
I have searched the forum and didnt find an answer to my issue, hope you guys can help.

I have recently imported an s13 with an rb20 to Israel, and since its first day here the water temp gauge needle sat comfortably between the center mark and the one above it. It didnt have a thermostat at all. I went on doing the timing belt, tensioners, water pump and fuel and oil filters, plus added a motorad thermo. Still, the gauge showed the same. Changed the gauge sensor and flushed the water system twice, no change. Went on changing the small electric fans the car came with to two bigger ones that are always on. Now the needle dropped to the center mark when in traffic and even drops under from time to time, but as soon as im on an open road it goes up again, doesnt matter how hard i drive it. As soon as im in traffic again it drops back to the center mark.
Cannot figure out what is causing it.
Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

jedi03
05-21-2020, 07:52 AM
your fans being on all the time blocks air flow at higher speeds...get a fan controller to turn them on and off for you...i personally like the DCC (delta current control) fan controller...little pricier but less to worry about...

AONEplus
05-21-2020, 04:07 PM
Good idea, ill try it out tomorrow