PDA

View Full Version : S14 Heater core hose so long + t/b heater nipple questions

Silv1401
05-02-2020, 01:10 AM
Doing some bay cleanup, and tucking/deleting things. Like to know if I can put some of my 500ft of braided tubing to use.

First question: is there a reason the top heater core hose (that runs to rear of KA block) is so long? Besides slack for engine torquing while accelerating, I don't get why the hose has almost two feet of length when it could've ran 1 foot straight to the rear nipple. Can I ditch the unsightly plastic connector (and bracket) and the metal section of tubing and just run a tube straight from the core to the block (with slack, of course)?

Second, the bottom heater core tube has the metal inline-T that runs coolant to heat the TB, and into the upper water neck. Any problem ditching the T and plugging the water neck nipple? Already deleted the TB heater maze of lines, just not sure if the line serves a secondary purpose. Old post mentioned something about it being an extra path for water pump to flow volume, or something.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

NukeKS14
05-02-2020, 06:36 AM
you're fine to shorten the upper coolant line.

The bottom, I used a dremel to knock off the 'T', smooth it, and just slid the coolant hose further down the neck to cover it.
https://i.ibb.co/R65dbBD/coolant.jpg (https://ibb.co/C9rD8MH)

I did all of this when I pulled my intake manifold to clean it and tap/plug the PCV ports into the runners so I had a lot of leftover tubing and used some of that as the adapter for that upper hose run.

anthony_240
05-02-2020, 07:02 AM
The coolant that flows thru the t/b is used for freezing weather, if you live somewhere where the cold won?t be an issue, your fine to bypass it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silv1401
05-02-2020, 11:14 AM
you're fine to shorten the upper coolant line.

The bottom, I used a dremel to knock off the 'T', smooth it, and just slid the coolant hose further down the neck to cover it.
https://i.ibb.co/R65dbBD/coolant.jpg (https://ibb.co/C9rD8MH)

I did all of this when I pulled my intake manifold to clean it and tap/plug the PCV ports into the runners so I had a lot of leftover tubing and used some of that as the adapter for that upper hose run.Praise! Couldn't have answered better. Didn't even consider cutting and sliding the tube farther up. Thanks a lot, my dude!

icedsole
05-02-2020, 12:25 PM
Can I ditch the unsightly plastic connector (and bracket) and the metal section of tubing and just run a tube straight from the core to the block (with slack, of course)?

You can ditch that metal section with the bracket and cable (thats the heater core blend valve) but you will lose the ability on the hvac control unit to adjust the amount of coolant that flows into the core - hot to cold slider button. So it will just be full hot all the time without that valve.

Silv1401
05-02-2020, 01:41 PM
You can ditch that metal section with the bracket and cable (thats the heater core blend valve) but you will lose the ability on the hvac control unit to adjust the amount of coolant that flows into the core - hot to cold slider button. So it will just be full hot all the time without that valve.I'm referring to the metal section of tubing that mounts to the underside of the plenum. I'm cleaning up the engine side of the heater core tubing. Thanks for looking out, though.

icedsole
05-02-2020, 06:31 PM
I'm referring to the metal section of tubing that mounts to the underside of the plenum. I'm cleaning up the engine side of the heater core tubing. Thanks for looking out, though.

Oh ok I wasn't understanding the location

Silv1401
05-04-2020, 01:27 AM
Oh ok I wasn't understanding the locationActually, you understood the correct location, but on the wrong year S14. You must have a 95, as I just came across the fact that 95 14s are the ONLY car that had a firewall mounted valve with an in-bay wire. Every other S-chassis had in-cabin setups.

icedsole
05-05-2020, 03:33 PM
Actually, you understood the correct location, but on the wrong year S14. You must have a 95, as I just came across the fact that 95 14s are the ONLY car that had a firewall mounted valve with an in-bay wire. Every other S-chassis had in-cabin setups.

yup just went through a whole ordeal trying to track down that piece with cable lol

Silv1401
05-05-2020, 03:50 PM
Yeah that would be annoying. I suppose you could always swap to a different year's style to delete the in-bay cable