PDA

View Full Version : 500 hp sr20det engine mount help!

Vicious Beaner!
04-17-2020, 11:38 PM
Hey guys what engine mounts do you recommend for a 500 hp top mount turbo sr20det in a s13 ? I have some kazama/cusco style laying around but are they really that stiff and cause major cabin vibrations ? It's more of my street car . Any issues going with full poly like gktech and melting them with the heat ? I'd appreciate feed back thanks

bardabe
04-18-2020, 10:18 AM
Driftfreaq mounts are really some of the best, only thing is you have to manage the heat on that exhaust mount well so you don't melt it. Otherwise your best bet will be a set of nismo mounts.

Cusco / Kazama mounts are pretty stiff, even my Z32 had gnarly noise and vibration cause of how solid they are.

Kingtal0n
04-18-2020, 01:20 PM
Theres lots of things you can do besides the engine mounts.

Nismo are great start high quality
I would also suggest an engine damper or engine brace.
Although this might seem like it will enhanced vibrations through the chassis,
it will help keep the engine from moving which will decrease the frequency range of transmitted noise, and it will also improve transmission engagement (manual trans) if you can hold the motor still during shifts (that slight wiggle between shifts with poor engine mounts causes mis-alignment and works the synchros harder IMO)

You should also make sure the idle timing/tuning is suitable for smooth operation (if it has big cams use a bit more timing and a slight rich a/f ratio like 14.2:1 instead of the closed loop 14.7)

Next you can pad or buffet areas of the car using sound deadener (like dynamat?) simply putting that stuff over the metal areas of the engine bay and interior will help absorb vibrations and make the car quieter

From there make sure the trans mount is fresh and strong, make sure there is a downpipe support both above and below, all exhaust hangers are fresh, the little rubbers all over the car make a huge difference whether they are in the engine or not.

Vicious Beaner!
04-19-2020, 11:25 AM
Driftfreaq mounts are really some of the best, only thing is you have to manage the heat on that exhaust mount well so you don't melt it. Otherwise your best bet will be a set of nismo mounts.

Cusco / Kazama mounts are pretty stiff, even my Z32 had gnarly noise and vibration cause of how solid they are.

I'll give those drift freaks a shot and try to cover make a shield.

Theres lots of things you can do besides the engine mounts.

Nismo are great start high quality
I would also suggest an engine damper or engine brace.
Although this might seem like it will enhanced vibrations through the chassis,
it will help keep the engine from moving which will decrease the frequency range of transmitted noise, and it will also improve transmission engagement (manual trans) if you can hold the motor still during shifts (that slight wiggle between shifts with poor engine mounts causes mis-alignment and works the synchros harder IMO)

You should also make sure the idle timing/tuning is suitable for smooth operation (if it has big cams use a bit more timing and a slight rich a/f ratio like 14.2:1 instead of the closed loop 14.7)

Next you can pad or buffet areas of the car using sound deadener (like dynamat?) simply putting that stuff over the metal areas of the engine bay and interior will help absorb vibrations and make the car quieter

From there make sure the trans mount is fresh and strong, make sure there is a downpipe support both above and below, all exhaust hangers are fresh, the little rubbers all over the car make a huge difference whether they are in the engine or not.

I considered nismo mounts just dont like how it raises the engine about 1 inch. I have a top mount setup and I'm on limited space lol I have a nismo trans mount. I'll look into an engine damper brace and my tuner smooth out my idle once it's going. It's on 266 jwt s4 cams so hopefully it isnt too bad

goodlucksilvia
08-16-2020, 04:50 AM
I have drift freaq mounts and love them so far. You'll have to see if he's still selling them. I have no idea of how else to protect them from heat, not many people online seem to talk about it. So I found my own solution, and it looks pretty clean too!

I had stock motor/trans mounts before I put on the drift freaq ones on. The stock SR mount on the turbo side has this triangular heat shield wedged between the mount, you can just take that part and throw it ontop of the new mount.
If you dont have that, I'm sure you can make your own similar metal heat shield on that side! Anything that just deflects the heat will help.

I would suggest doing this part too: I bought these (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DWYQ4AU/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1KTQ3SLZRVYDJ&psc=1) motor mount heat shield wraps (meant for a corvette?) that fit on the drift freaq ones perfectly. Then I secured them on with 2 wormgear clamps one top one bottom for both mounts.

This (https://imgur.com/a/ElnWwaZ) is how it looks on the turbo side so you get an idea, might be hard to see since I just stuck my arm down there for the pic

Hope this helps

Dboyizmlg
08-16-2020, 11:49 AM
Drift Freak mounts with heat shields!!!

Another great option is nismo mounts!

Best mounts in the game

S14rebuild
08-16-2020, 04:29 PM
Been running old skool megan racing mounts for years on my sr. Perfectness...would saybequalnto nismo mounts