PDA

View Full Version : Competition clutch and general flywheel question

Dsmguy1993
04-11-2020, 04:11 PM
Okay so I know sentra flywheels are NOT compatabile with our redtop sr motors and basically Im not sure if I have the wrong flywheel or the wrong clutch kit its an oem competition clutch kit I bought off ebay but the pressure plate is silver it is not black I was under the impression the competititon clutch pressure plate should be black? Yeah when I try to install the pressure plate like the dowel pins simply do not line up they are off and at this point im not sure if i have a sentra flywheel or the wrong clutch kit is there an easy way to tell im lost at this point? whats worse is if I have to take off the flywheel I have to buy new arp flywheel bolts because Ive already torqued mine down to spec and to my understanding they stretch out after torquing.

Dsmguy1993
04-11-2020, 05:11 PM
I think I have the right flywheel and clutch the dowel pins almost line up they are just very VERY slghtly off should I drill the holes a little bit what do you think??

https://ibb.co/C75vn7c
https://ibb.co/LDwFxf4
https://ibb.co/Cwn0B5Q

Dsmguy1993
04-12-2020, 01:31 AM
Just wanna say after today I dont recommend competition clutch to anyone and this may be my fault because i possibly have the wrong flywheel but its the same flywheel that came with my sr20det setup so i drilled those dowel holes out and I got all the bolts in and tight except for one I cross threaded one and it took the threads right out, but thank god, there are some threads left in the back. I just put new arp flywheel bolts on and if I have to remove my flywheel they are probably not reusable due to the fact that it would be my 2nd time torquing them down (the first time i forgot the starter plate shield thing so I had to go back). Anyways not sure if competition clutch sent me the wrong clutch or maybe my flywheel is the wrong one or maybe the pressure plate was of poor production quality and the bolts dont line up that well. Either way im pretty fuckin upset even though some threads are still left.. if this was competitions clutch fault for 1. Sending the wrong clutch by accident or 2. Poor manufacturing. Then I hope there happy because I am so fuckin upset right now because this was the last thing I needed before bolting my trans up. I dont even wanna ask if my car can run off of 8 pressure plate bolts because even if it could id feel like shit knowing I didnt put one on. Ill never ever by my sr a cheap clutch again and I HATE taking flywheel bolts on and putting them on because if those EVER strip that would be catastrophic because thats the crankshaft. Is this what i get for buying a 140$ clutch kit? Ill never cheap on parts again.

Dsmguy1993
04-12-2020, 12:11 PM
Turns out it happened to be a clutch for a fwd sr20det which the stupid ebay seller. should have specified also this guy told me sometimes he paints the cluches before shipping them out like why would anyone be paint a NEW CLUTCH?? I wrote this guy a long pissed off response and I emplore you never to EVER buy from "competition clutch" on ebay because that guy is a total scam artist for that. he almost costed me a fucking flywheel now I gotta buy new arp flywheel. bolts AGAIN because I already have mine torqued see how one persons mistake fucks shit up? I also gotta get one of preessure plate bolts on my flywheel helicoiled needless to say im very pissed off

Dsmguy1993
04-21-2020, 05:28 PM
Okay I want to be as fair as possible perhaps this flywheel did not fit my pressure plate setup because perhaps the flywheel is from a sentra? I wouldnt know as the flywheel came with an sr swap package I got a really good deal on. Also perhaps the clutch kit I was sold was actually from a different vehicle? It is hard to say either way so perhaps I can drill the dowel holes in the pressure plate slightly larger to make this kit fit? Im probably not gonna do that as i already tossed out a new set of arp flywheel bolts I bought and torqued after I had torqued them down once because although with locktite I doubt they would back out I run new ones for insurance pressure plate bolts Im going with new arps instead I was gonna reuse old oem nissan pressure plate bolts but then I realized thats probably not a good idea due to how fast a clutch is always spinning. Fwiw im probably gonna just save up for a while and get a good flywheel and an act clutch kit that is confirmed for rwd sr20det as I hear act clutches are really good and id rather wait and save and know mine is the good stuff. I got a friend that runs ebay flywheel and says it works good, but I dont know too much about those so Id have to do more research before I deem an ebay flywheel safe although im
Sure they work good.

NashT
04-22-2020, 05:17 PM
Holy shit bro you are all over the place lol

First off your fine reusing the arp flywheel bolts as many times as you would like. And loctite is kind of overkill but if you insist use green or blue, NOT red.

2nd you pretty much answered your own question, if the pressure plate doesnt mate to the fly wheel its the wrong part.

I would suggest buying an ACT clutch kit or the white bunny clutch kit. -spend a little more money the first time and get a quality kit that will last for years

Dsmguy1993
04-22-2020, 05:59 PM
Your right I was all over the place sorry if I was anyways I ended up getting this issue resolved with the help of my uncle so allow me to explain. First the machine shop that resurfaced my flywheel put the dowel pins back in the incorrect locations obviously they take these out to resurface the device. So my uncle helped me out he indexed the pressure plate to fit the second set of bolt holes as Id stripped out one of the bolt holes initially on the first pattern because I drilled out the dowel pin holes on the pressure plate but I cross threaded one bolt because they were off. So the seller sent me a fresh pressure plate we re-installed the dowel pins into the second pattern of bolt holes which was fresh with no stripping anywhere im sure you can understand what im saying. I opened up a new pack of arp flywheel bolts and torqued them down only to effin realize I forgot the transmission plate shield thing! so I undid them quickly while loctite was still wet with my impact gun and reinstalled everything with blue loctite then I brake cleaned the surface of the pressure plate and flywheel of course last I installed the clutch disc and pressure plate and its all good now. FWIW you are right about act being a better clutch PERIOD competiton clutch is just some cheap stuff that white bunny kit is not as tgreat not as good as an act clutch but its not bad for what you pay. Ill upgrade the clutch later on I just wanna get this bad boy running real quick lol. So yeah im running a white bunny kit with a resurfaced flywheel but I used an oem nissan pillot bushing cus its copper which imo is better.