PDA

View Full Version : SR to KA trans questions

doridoridori
04-05-2020, 11:19 PM
So lately been having an issue with my SR trans which needs to be taken apart more than likely, been hearing that you can put a SR bellhousing on a KA trans and it's good to go. Is the SR trans an KA trans the same length without the bellhousings attached? and is there a specific year I need to look for with KA transmissions or are they all identical? I have a custom driveshaft thats why i ask.

do the driveshaft splines ka/sr match ?

also the gaskets for the plate that goes over the input shaft is there a part number for that or just easy to make my own gasket when swapping parts over?

any info is much appreciated, thanks in advance!

NashT
04-06-2020, 02:27 PM
The "gasket" your talking about is just a trans tail shaft seal or output shaft seal. Can be found easily online.

Transmissions are all the same "5 speed wise"
The only difference is the bell housing which can be swapped.
Even a single cam trans is the same, with just a small difference in the bell housing but it will bolt right up to the dohc.

All you need to do is swap bell housings.
Shaft splines are the same

doridoridori
04-06-2020, 07:57 PM
The "gasket" your talking about is just a trans tail shaft seal or output shaft seal. Can be found easily online.

Transmissions are all the same "5 speed wise"
The only difference is the bell housing which can be swapped.
Even a single cam trans is the same, with just a small difference in the bell housing but it will bolt right up to the dohc.

All you need to do is swap bell housings.
Shaft splines are the same

nice good to know !

can they handle about the same amount of power? 200-300? wasn't sure where they really start breaking at but hopefully I can find a ka trans in the junkyard then, having no luck finding an SR one close by

NashT
04-06-2020, 09:00 PM
I mean they are uncommon but the SR 6 speed is definitely the weaker trans.

All the 5 speed gear boxes "trans" are the same, with the exception of different bell housings.

Try looking for a 240 with a single cam if you cant find a trans from a DOHC, they are the same.

You have an S14 or 13?

doridoridori
04-07-2020, 10:05 AM
I mean they are uncommon but the SR 6 speed is definitely the weaker trans.

All the 5 speed gear boxes "trans" are the same, with the exception of different bell housings.

Try looking for a 240 with a single cam if you cant find a trans from a DOHC, they are the same.

You have an S14 or 13?

gotcha yea im looking around on junkyard inventory, i guess the input shaft spine count is identical as well?

hopefully can find something today or tomorrow.

NashT
04-07-2020, 01:21 PM
Look on Car-Part.com if you cant find anything local.
Check Craigslist too