PDA

View Full Version : The Boosted cat in the bag

Dustyx77
03-28-2020, 07:52 AM
So hey guys, I just bought my first Nissan 200sx s14a a couple of weeks ago. So a bit backstory about the car. The car is heavily modified, it was ''diagnosed'' with 500hp and ~450 lb/ft in 2011. I live in Norway, and the car was professionally built. But the car has gone through 3 owners here in Norway and it's imported from Germany (don't know a lot about the car before it got imported here in 2006).

The first owner was the one that ordered all the modifications. I've got the whole part list and can send some pictures down the line. But the thing is that the second owner was a bit lazy, to say the least. They got stopped by the police once, and here in Norway it's quite strict when it comes to ''street legal'' cars. Long story short, the police decided that the car is not worthy of that tittle and they took the license plates. So they kind of gave up on the car shortly after. They did Drive it from time to time with those temporary plates, but that was not too often. So now it's up to me to fix it, un-boost it and get those license plates back. Buuuut, as always, it's easier said then done. I'm not a mechanic, but I've wanted a s14a for quite awhile now, and I've decided that this should be worth the trouble. When I was told that the car was built by professionals, I did expect that everything should go smoothly. Sadly this is not the case. The wiring Is a mess, at least it seems so, and I think that is the main reason why the tachometer and the fuel gauge are completely dead. Some of the cylinders doesn't work smoothly when the engine is cold. And the car didn't receive the love it deserves as in general.

So I basically came here to seek guidance by people that have some experience with these cars, and engines. At this moment I'm stuck fixing the tachometer. So long what I've done is that cursed re-soldering job, but that was in vain. I've also connected another tachometer to the back of my cluster gauge, but that one doesn't show any life signs either (except for glowing). I've traced the wiring that goes from, what I presume, is the cluster gauge to the fuse box that is under the hood. Can't exactly say that I tracked the black/blue wire, but it should be in there, hopefully. Cant exactly see where it goes from there but I found the same wire inside the foot well on the passenger side. That one goes nowhere, straight up cut and taped up. From what I've gathered the OEM ecu should be there. The one I have is a Pectel T2 and it's in the glove box, oddly enough. There is a wire connected into the RPM slot of the ecu, but it's hard to follow it since all the wires that are connected there are mostly white, there are also some black ones, and a few red ones. So I'm Kind of stuck here, and I really cant figure out where the RPM wire should go. Some say it goes to the speed sensor that is in the gearbox, some say it comes from the distributor. But since the OEM sr20det doesn't have a distributor so that didn't make sense. Until, that is, I found a makeshift looking distributor in mine...

Soooo, I think that's it. I know it's a lot to read, But I'd really appreciate any help I could get. Oh and, English is my third language, so if I write something stupid, just bear with me, because that might happen a lot. If there is any pictures I could send to help, just say the word.

jedi03
03-30-2020, 08:22 AM
i would suggest get a wiring specialties harness to clear up any questionable connections and they should be able to match what the engine/body has...as far as the stock tach/speedo etc i would go to speedhut and order a custom guage setup and the two of those should help it out on the electrical side!

brndck
03-30-2020, 09:07 AM
welcome to zilvia, I highly recommend tracking down a copy of the FSM (factory service manual) for s14A and use that for your wiring guide.

as far as the tach, an aftermarket tach usually uses a different source for the signal than the factory one. usually the ECU will supply the source for the stock one, but an aftermarket one will pull the source from the distributor or CAS.

as far as "unboosting", are you just trying to make the car street legal again? I think most of us here are from USA so we probably aren't familiar with the laws in Norway, but I wish you luck!

Dustyx77
04-14-2020, 10:03 AM
Hey guys, sorry for not updating you for awhile, was quite busy repairing the small things on the car. And thanks for the tip Jedi, but I'd rather have the oem one, just looks more pleasing.

So anyways, I think that I'd update on my quest to fix the tach. So I picked up my multimeter and checked all the little screws that provide the electricity to the tachometer, all of them were working fine. So I took the spare tachometer gauge that I had and just straight up hardwired it to the distributor, it started working. So then I just thought that the OEM tach motor was dead. And that would have made things a lot more easy for me, but sadly that was not the case, started fiddling around a bit more with it, the arrow slightly budged abit...

Anyways, Im kind of stuck once again, have no clue what to do with it next. I was kind of thinking to do some serious wire tracking and find out where the aftermarket ecu RPM wire meets the oem tachometer wire, if it meets at all. But never got to it. But now, since Brndck mentioned the FSM, that should make the job a bit easier. Im going to try that!

But besides the tach I've made a list of things I need to do before I even start thinking about unboosting it. For example I need a fender liner (FL), some sockets for the turn signals, a new cable for the trunk, the things that hold your doors when you slightly open them (no clue what they're called), and basically a whole windshield fluid system.

Brndck, by unboosting the car, I mean restoring the car back to it's 200hp, by throwing in the stock turbo and exhaust, and maybe the intercooler. The laws in Norway are quite strict, it kind of depends to the guy who's doing the ''check-up''. If he doesn't like what he sees, you're pretty much screwed and you might just get to buy alot of oem parts, to say it like that.

Oh and if anyone knows where I could get myself that fenderliner, that would be great!