PDA

View Full Version : S14 Road handeling parts disscussion

NoBrakes!
03-03-2020, 08:47 AM
IF THERE IS A THREAD I MISSED THAT COVERS THIS PLEASE DROP A LINK
i definitely did look into this topic. on here and nino club as well as other outlets. not saying it has not been talked about before.

I have a s14 that im building for spirited driving but not drifting. so im leaning towards the grip and track setups for the schassis as far as parts. yes i have looked at some grip build threads to kind of give me an idea on this but i dont wanna just copy someones build i want to be able to know what works for my preference specifically.

Story time start
long story shortened i got this thing as a roller. i dropped a rb20 in it and im on the last legs of smoothing out the swap. before i build it for my ideal power goal i want to make sure that this thing handles the way i want it to. one thing i miss about my s13 was that it was nimble AF and solid (slammed s13 vert btw). like one intended jerk of the wheel would be a lane change (to give you an idea) but as far as steering i was unaware of any mods done to it.
my s14 on the other hand feels the opposite. in fact i feel like my 09 sonata is more nimble than this thing is. i feel like the steering travel lock to lock is far to high for my licking. as well as correcting some body roll and stuff.
Story time end

Steering speed/feel and cornering improvements?

That being said i want to reduce the lock to lock ratio or quicken the steering feel. grabing the wheel and turning it with the ps just feels floaty to me but its 40000x better than a rb with no ps. so ive read up on the hicas rack, aftermarket knuckles and the steering wheel quickener?...
- i feel like the quickener is too aggressive of a reduction for the use of the car.
- i feel like the hicas rack is a little too much work for not too much of a difference by itself
- and im not too keen on the gains that modded front knuckles have on things like cornering and steering. i know it plays a role but i dont fully grasp the effects. i have been reading up on the pbm and gktech knuckles for s14 tho.

Making the car feel more solid

Second this is a topic i feel like has a simple solution but let me know if im wrong. body roll any boaty type of handling can be eliminated with smartly placed chassis braces??????
I do plan on getting front and rear strut tower braces and some other chassis braces to kinda help with this if its true. i will be getting a 4 point roll bar in the car and im looking into a few underbody braces. though i do feel like an abundance of braces is not necessarily needed to make this a good handling car just a improvement, feel free to let me know otherwise. i do know that the car came with no front sway bar im not sure how much that would improve handling if i added one. ive also seen the gktech roll center correction stuff im not too sure what that does specifically either or more so how it does what it says it does.

Lastly im aware that a good alignment coils and suspension arms are needed for improving this stuff too. I just swapped out all the arms like 3 weeks ago except both front and back LCAs with the latest version of ISR pro series arms ( i got the angled version for more clearance ) in addition to isr inner and outer tie rod ends. the car came with suspect megan racing coils but i think some may be blown not too sure. i plan on replacing them with BC coils as ive heard good things about them.

anything not up here that you think is also important for improved handling please comment it

This is a discussion so all opinions welcome. and like i said if there are other threads i missed. drop a link ill read through it and probably add stuff on here.

NoBrakes!
03-03-2020, 08:50 AM
:picardfp: I am aware that i spelled handling wrong in the thread title