PDA

View Full Version : I bought an uncracked s13 dash but it cracked, any advice on restoration?

leftfootbrake
02-17-2020, 05:56 AM
I was able to source a geniuine uncracked LHD dash with the vents as well from a 1990 car for 50$.

The dash hat sat in a shack for 4 years without being touched, it was perfect but it had a ton of dust etched into the material. I bought it on a cold night and put it in the coldest room I had. Waited 24 hours and grabbed a wet cloth, made sure that the water had a similar temperature to the dash.

The dash material itself feels very hard. After that I slowly and carefully cleaned it with the cloth two times, it looked amazing, even though it still had tons of dirt. Left it to dry a bit and when I returned two hours later, two very small cracks appeared on top of the bulged part where the instrument cluster sits. The parts where they appeared became soft.

What should I do with this dash? I feel kinda bad for what happened, a few experienced nissan owners told me that I did the safest thing. Some recommend putting alcantara-like material on it or flocking it even. However I want it to be completely stock, how I can I restore it? Resin and paint or are there any other ways?

Thank you and sorry if my post is in the srong subforum.