PDA

View Full Version : Harness Bar W/ Passengers?

Ronan
01-06-2020, 09:06 PM
Ive got an SR S13. It has backseats, but the drivers seat gave out. In the future I want to track this thing so I'm gonna put in an NRG Prisma. The passenger seat is reclinable. The track requires a 5 point harness. I want to build a harness bar but still be able to get people in the back. Im handy with a welder so if you have an idea, shoot it my way. Thanks.

Silv1401
01-06-2020, 10:28 PM
Uhhhh, buy a sedan.

But for real, your backseat passengers will have to be flexible as hell, or you'll have to come up with some slick ass detachable setup, with like a hinge on the other side. Not sure if it'll pass inspection though. Another idea is run a center vertical bar behind the console, weld two triangular flats, run a pin hinge between them, run the horizontal bars from it to wherever you want them to go, and connect them with a heavy duty clevis pin. Again, not sure if it'll pass inspection, because a high speed crash will probably result in a structural failure.

Typically you just gotta sacrifice backseat capabilities if you want to run bars.

Or have some real small friends.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

brndck
01-07-2020, 08:24 AM
if youre talking about this style "harness bar", don't

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0058/0252/4785/products/[email protected]?v=1542144764
they're unsafe and will not withstand the kind of impact necessary to properly support racing harnesses.

sorry man, you're going to have to give up the back seat if you want a PROPERLY INSTALLED harness.

jedi03
01-07-2020, 09:41 AM
it wont be safe for passengers in the back as the bar doesn't have good impact results vs a face...

Kingtal0n
01-07-2020, 01:43 PM
they should just make everything out of styrofoam and limit top speed to 20mph

problem solved

Ronan
01-07-2020, 05:31 PM
they should just make everything out of styrofoam and limit top speed to 20mph

problem solved
I like your thinking

Ronan
01-07-2020, 05:39 PM
Uhhhh, buy a sedan.

But for real, your backseat passengers will have to be flexible as hell, or you'll have to come up with some slick ass detachable setup, with like a hinge on the other side. Not sure if it'll pass inspection though. Another idea is run a center vertical bar behind the console, weld two triangular flats, run a pin hinge between them, run the horizontal bars from it to wherever you want them to go, and connect them with a heavy duty clevis pin. Again, not sure if it'll pass inspection, because a high speed crash will probably result in a structural failure.

Typically you just gotta sacrifice backseat capabilities if you want to run bars.

Or have some real small friends.

Yeah I might just make a good one and install it for track days :(

Silv1401
01-07-2020, 08:41 PM
I like your thinkingYikes, I don't. Make it all out of PVC, so we can go at least 35.

Silv1401
01-07-2020, 08:47 PM
Yeah I might just make a good one and install it for track days :(Yeah, racecars require sacrifice, bud.

Also, build those theoretical designs at your own risk. Chances of that design failing under a standard road collision, is pretty high.

mechanicalmoron
01-08-2020, 09:58 PM
Yeah I might just make a good one and install it for track days :(

....That's dumb, not to mention not feasible.

your passengers will die when you're not at the track, you will die when you are at the track. It's the worst of all worlds.

This is totally fucking stupid, get a track car if you think you need a harness bar.