PDA

View Full Version : Cusco 2-way Question

Donedreamin
12-28-2019, 06:10 PM
Hey,

Reaching out for some guidance. I purchased a cusco 2-way diff installed in an abs pumpkin. I would like to install the carrier in my non-abs pumpkin. I e-mailed cusco and never got a response. Can i just removed all the shims and housing and install in the new pumpkin?

jedi03
12-30-2019, 01:23 PM
should be able to...just transfer ring gear and check measurements to ensure its correct!

e1_griego
12-30-2019, 01:31 PM
Usually for these diffs you just put the original shims back in the from where they came from.

You may need to swap the output shafts across as those are different from open diff vs vlsd (presuming your ABS diff isn't open).

NashT
01-03-2020, 08:30 AM
What diff the J30? And the cusco did you receive just the carrier or the entire diff assembly with the 2way in it?

Besides the abs sensor on the diff there is also an abs ring inside, thats why there are 2 different drive shaft lengths.

If you are going to swap carriers, and you have never done this before I highly suggest letting a professional do it. The carrier must be shimmed side to side, and there is also a pre assigned backspacing needed which is found using a dial gauge. If you fail to shim and even torque the pinion gear correctly that diff and its gears will wear fast and eventually shell.

You should be able to transfer the 2-way no problem, just transfer the carrier individually and keep the gears in each diff that came with them

NashT
01-07-2020, 02:30 PM
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=%23&ved=2ahUKEwjj-uzxtvLmAhU0B50JHWvcCWsQwqsBMAF6BAgJEAQ&usg=AOvVaw0VTJzWxrN8ZFOD4xbU2nov

NashT
01-07-2020, 02:33 PM
https://youtu.be/87yL2FoVwcQ

https://youtu.be/0IYOyurW4DY

Sorry previous post link was bad, check these out

mechanicalmoron
01-07-2020, 08:36 PM
What diff the J30? And the cusco did you receive just the carrier or the entire diff assembly with the 2way in it?

Besides the abs sensor on the diff there is also an abs ring inside, thats why there are 2 different drive shaft lengths.

If you are going to swap carriers, and you have never done this before I highly suggest letting a professional do it. The carrier must be shimmed side to side, and there is also a pre assigned backspacing needed which is found using a dial gauge. If you fail to shim and even torque the pinion gear correctly that diff and its gears will wear fast and eventually shell.

You should be able to transfer the 2-way no problem, just transfer the carrier individually and keep the gears in each diff that came with them

If you've never done it before, the only way to have done it is to do it.

Then you say this stuff that's obvious, unless he's done it, in which case it's probably just more confusing.

NashT
01-08-2020, 09:41 AM
If you've never done it before, the only way to have done it is to do it.

Then you say this stuff that's obvious, unless he's done it, in which case it's probably just more confusing.

Stop being a douchebag troll simply because you disagree with my +15 years as a tech. Unlike you, if I write on someone's post its to try and help. Your name is evidence enough your an idiot when it comes to wrenching.

mechanicalmoron
01-08-2020, 08:27 PM
Stop being a douchebag troll simply because you disagree with my +15 years as a tech. Unlike you, if I write on someone's post its to try and help. Your name is evidence enough your an idiot when it comes to wrenching.

Fifteen years of oil changes doesn't give you authority.

nzmoman
01-08-2020, 11:29 PM
OP,

Simply put, you could, but you shouldn’t without checking all the tolerances after the install into the non-ABS pumpkin.

There are specific tolerances that you need to meet when you are installing a diff into a housing regarding torque specs, proper gear contact, bearings and shims.

If done wrong, your expensive diff could fail prematurely and even catastrophically.

If you know how to read FSM and follow instructions, (only you know if you are good at this) then you could do it with the right tools at home. If you can’t go to a shop. It shouldn’t be expensive and the peace of mind is worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk