PDA

View Full Version : Inline thermostat

mgbsr20det
12-11-2019, 08:12 PM
Hi guys I have a question , during my SR20det conversion I had to remove the thermostat housing as the alternator was relocated to the other side and a custom inlet pipe was made but now I have no thermostat. I have purchased this in line thermostat which says I should install it in the top radiator hose but that is the opposite side to where the original thermostat used to be? Where should I install this in line thermostat. Thanks for your helphttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191212/8b29154ac8ffe13aaa1ea79d1a270b36.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jedi03
12-12-2019, 07:56 AM
put it where you want! its there to restrict flow till the engine warms up...if you are scared just put it close to where it was before

duballstar37
12-12-2019, 08:22 AM
Back in the day thermostats were usually at the top of the block just before the hot water left the engine and entered the radiator. Most newer Japanese engines now have the thermostat before the bottom hose going to the radiator.

Either way will work, but old timer domestic heads preach the prior method. Maybe try it in both locations and record your operating temperatures to see which suits you better.