PDA

View Full Version : S13 Restoration - A/C question

Rokafella
11-24-2019, 08:11 PM
Currently working on a S13 shell I picked up with a completely intact A/C system. Seller says A/C worked up until the KA got a rod knock then sat for 6-8 months.

My plan was to clean up the shell and move stuff over from my donor car leaving the A/C system intact and sealed......

But as usual my ocd found a couple issues I would like to fix.
1: factory firewall insulation is crumbling and falling down.
2: Painting the engine bay/interior...

My Questions for anyone familiar with a/c in these cars are:

A: Is a rebuilt A/C ever the same as Factory?

B: Do I have to use special tools to empty the system?

C: Does someone still carry the O-rings & seals for a 91 240 (could not find anything other than compressor seals)

D: what should I replace if I want to completely remove the A/C for Paint and put it back in?

ultimateirving
11-26-2019, 10:31 AM
A/c is easy to restore. YOu will likely want a shop to vent the old system so your not venting to atmosphere.

A: if you are converting to R134a it will never be as cold as R12 but it still is very functional.
B: Shop can empty
C: Orings are generic and easily sourced at auto parts store.
D: Drier/Receiver must be replaced anytime you open the system. It is also advised to replace every o-ring on the connections you take apart.

Rokafella
11-29-2019, 08:18 PM
Thank you,

Clears up a few things?
currently a shell so bringing it to a shop to drain is kind of a pain, ill see if someone will come out to me.
Im in Illinois can R12 still be had?

ultimateirving
11-30-2019, 09:41 PM
Thank you,

Clears up a few things?
currently a shell so bringing it to a shop to drain is kind of a pain, ill see if someone will come out to me.
Im in Illinois can R12 still be had?

For as many times as I have had my car apart, I went to 134a. Cheaper to refill and source. I’ve already had it charged a few times over the years from swapping engines and repairing cracked a/c lines.