PDA

View Full Version : won't engage 1st 2nd and sometimes 3rd at stop

copdodger
10-01-2019, 04:14 PM
So basically as the title states. Car only used for commuting, and seems that it doesn't do it in the morning, but in the afternoon when temps are in the 90s the warmer the car gets along commute the worse it gets.

When it won't go in first, bump it into second and roll tires 1/4 turn and can get first and take off, if it won't go into second bump it in third and it will go to second and then can bump it into first. *Then* sometimes when its at its worst and i actually get to rolling start in first the car shakes violently until clutch is fully released

Another clutch issue is again, when its at its worst, and i slow down at a red light and depress clutch, it doesn't disengage and wants to keep moving forward even when i am holding the brake.

Clutch cylinder travels normally, i have viewed it from under car at cool temps and immediately after commuting and the travel seems to be consistent no matter conditions. i have flushed the system and have new fluid throughout. didn't change symptoms

my thoughts are bad clutch or flywheel?? idk, just got this car and already realized i need a new diff (vlsd grinds), now this issue...........

tldr; sometimes when hot out, car doesn't want to go into first, so i have to start moving in second, then can downshift to first and go. problem get worse and doesn't allow second at times either. car shakes bad when accelerating from stop if it is being really bad.

duballstar37
10-02-2019, 07:32 AM
Sounds like the Throw Out Bearing...

Do you hear any irregular sounds when engaging/disengaging the clutch?

splitfire
10-02-2019, 11:46 AM
I had similar issues when clutch pivot ball wasn't tightened enough

copdodger
10-02-2019, 12:14 PM
Sounds like the Throw Out Bearing...

Do you hear any irregular sounds when engaging/disengaging the clutch?

Only when beginning to depress clutch. when beginning to engage i can hear it, but sounds normal, or atleast not metal grinding

I had similar issues when clutch pivot ball wasn't tightened enough

this is something i haven't thought of, but sounds reasonable. did you have problems disengaging the clutch at times too?? the only thing that is still weird is that heat plays a factor. mornings are fine, afternoon commutes home are bad.

thanks for the help

my thoughts are change fluid and see if improved, if not just drop the damn transmission, but i can't be without a car for that long.... sucks

TheRealSy90
10-02-2019, 12:43 PM
Do a new clutch master and slave with fresh fluids. Your clutch isn't fully disengaging. Could also be the release bearing surface worn out on the bearing face or pressure plate.

[240sx]
10-02-2019, 12:57 PM
I was having an intermittent issues with chattering/shaking whilst engaging 1st, then later with not being able to get in/out of gears randomly. Eventually, one of the damper springs left it's post.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191002/4212df5cf745f4f797efd318ae9816ea.jpg

copdodger
10-02-2019, 01:19 PM
;6359175']I was having an intermittent issues with chattering/shaking whilst engaging 1st, then later with not being able to get in/out of gears randomly. Eventually, one of the damper springs left it's post.

again, this seems likely. and would also explain (or perhaps eventually cause) the shaking upon acceleration.

i guess i have to get my 'recently removed from insurance cause i got a 240' backup car on insurance again while i tear into the 240, lol.