PDA

View Full Version : Go karting frame / chassis and engine choice...???

Bleakley
09-22-2019, 12:05 AM
Might be getting sucked into a hobby here. And am kinda looking for some advice. May not be the best place to ask, but zilvia has helped me out A LOT over the years.

Going to be starting from scratch. I want to get into karting, just don’t wanna spend money on some [email protected] knockoff stuff. Was looking at different engines (there’s a lot), and am leaning towards either 100cc or 125cc 2-stroke. 250cc 4-stroke works for me too!

Main / major question though is frame selection. No idea what I should be looking for. Anyone able to help? Or guide me to somewhere where I’d be able to receive the help? Thanks in advance guys. :)

S14rebuild
09-25-2019, 04:20 PM
Ummmm. This is a "real" car forum.. not a kart fourm

Dont know how much info ull gain here but best of luck to u

Bleakley
09-25-2019, 04:57 PM
Never know. Lol.

To anyone who gives a shit. Gonna start off with a used kart or a Margay or Tony Kart. Engine is the LO206 due to me just starting out and the popularity. Will move up from there.

D.Bo
09-26-2019, 06:59 AM
running the l206 is best bang for your buck and has been growing popularity. I would check with your local kart track and see which program has the most people in it. but starting l206 is a good choice.

Tony karts have really good frames. I like them better than margay frames. You can probably find some decent used ones. Just make sure its for a 4 stroke chassis since the clutch is inboard if not you can use a 2 stroke chassis and convert it.

Bleakley
09-26-2019, 11:33 AM
I’m hearing conflicting info on 4-stroke vs 2-stroke karts and their frames. May just buy another kart whenever I switch over (won’t be for couple years I’m sure).

PittRace (Pitt Intl, Beaver Run, w/e tf you want to cal it) has lots of LO206 stuff. Ample practice time available.

D.Bo
09-27-2019, 06:38 AM
It usually dealing with the rear cross back on the frame. If you're using a 2 stoke frame with a 4 stroke, the clutch, chain, and rear axle gear interfere with the cross bar,

I've converted a few 2 stroke frames to work with a 4 stroke engines. you just need to cut the bar out and relocate it to where its not in the way on the rear section