PDA

View Full Version : S13 Headlights randomly go up and down individually

seeko7
07-14-2019, 12:19 AM
I just bought my S13 and it's an SR20DET swapped 1992 SE model with a few issues. Among them is the headlight issue... My lights will just pop up and down randomly while I'm driving, whether I mess with the switch or not. Could this be a bad switch, or something further?

Also, I'm new to modding and wiring is kinda intimidating to me. Where's a good place to start learning more about this so I can improve my knowedge and skills?

Thanks guys.

anthony_240
07-14-2019, 12:23 AM
I just bought my S13 and it's an SR20DET swapped 1992 SE model with a few issues. Among them is the headlight issue... My lights will just pop up and down randomly while I'm driving, whether I mess with the switch or not. Could this be a bad switch, or something further?

Also, I'm new to modding and wiring is kinda intimidating to me. Where's a good place to start learning more about this so I can improve my knowedge and skills?

Thanks guys.

You have a short, if I were you , pull out the switch, check for loose/ exposed wiring connections. Could be a bad switch, but start with looking for exposed wiring first

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seeko7
07-14-2019, 12:29 AM
Thanks. Also, my cluster's speedometer and gas gauge both don't work. Does this have something to do with the SR swap? I've been reading around, and I feel like it does. I need to get in my dash and see how the wiring looks in it...

KiDyNomiTe
07-15-2019, 08:01 AM
If your car is lowered, check the wiring in the driver side wheel well. Probably rubbed through the harness.

seeko7
07-15-2019, 08:23 AM
If your car is lowered, check the wiring in the driver side wheel well. Probably rubbed through the harness.

Good advice. I'll check on this today.

slider2828
07-23-2019, 05:00 PM
Videos please..... sounds kind of cool

180sx_
07-24-2019, 09:19 AM
Videos please..... sounds kind of cool+1

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

brndck
07-24-2019, 11:27 AM
Thanks. Also, my cluster's speedometer and gas gauge both don't work. Does this have something to do with the SR swap? I've been reading around, and I feel like it does. I need to get in my dash and see how the wiring looks in it...

speedo isn't specifically sr20 related. its a sensor in the trans that sends a signal to the ecu. ecu sends the signal to the cluster

same with the fuel gauge. gauge sends a signal to the cluster. neither of these would be issues caused by a sr20 swap per se.

the FSM has a resistance test you can perform on the float for the fuel level gauge, gotta pull the fuel pump hanger out of the tank tho.

I believe the FSM has a diagnostics test for the speedo sensor too, iirc.

KiDyNomiTe
07-24-2019, 12:25 PM
Videos please..... sounds kind of cool

haha I thought everyone had gone through this once in their life??

Mine started off doing it maybe like once a week just going up and down. But at its worst even with the car off either one light would go up and down for a good minute, or they'd both do it in sequence. Quite funny to see.