PDA

View Full Version : Finally picked up a s13, but need help!

Gjohnson7
11-14-2004, 06:07 PM
Ok, so I finally found a super cheap 93 5 speed. It has 173k miles but it only cost me $400 and I'll post pics as soon as I finish cleaning her up. The bad part is that it has tan carpet and seats and it stinks like mildew. I spent most of the day steam cleaning the inside with a rug doctor that I had rented for the house. Anyway, my problem is that the car does run but it dies every time you give it gas. If you barely push the gas you can keep the car running and I actually drove it home. But it stalled at every stoplight and/or stop sign every time I tried to accelerate. What could cause this? I figured it must be fuel related, but also thought it might be throttle position sensor or such. Any ideas? :ughd:

240meowth
11-14-2004, 06:18 PM
Ok, so I finally found a super cheap 93 5 speed. It has 173k miles but it only cost me $400 and I'll post pics as soon as I finish cleaning her up. The bad part is that it has tan carpet and seats and it stinks like mildew. I spent most of the day steam cleaning the inside with a rug doctor that I had rented for the house. Anyway, my problem is that the car does run but it dies every time you give it gas. If you barely push the gas you can keep the car running and I actually drove it home. But it stalled at every stoplight and/or stop sign every time I tried to accelerate. What could cause this? I figured it must be fuel related, but also thought it might be throttle position sensor or such. Any ideas? :ughd:

it's a freaking mystery!!! my car does the opposit. you give it gas it dies, but if you leave it idle, it idles... :bash:

but heck, i'll take a stab at it. Check you ICV (idle control valve), it is connected to you intake piping, a rather large vacume hose towards the bend and connects to the ICV towards the bottom of you throttle body. That's what I would check first, if that's fine, start checking random vaccume hoses. (donate 50 cents to me if it helped)

Gjohnson7
11-14-2004, 06:53 PM
it's a freaking mystery!!! my car does the opposit. you give it gas it dies, but if you leave it idle, it idles... :bash:

That is what mine is doing. I can let it idle forever, but when I hit the gas it dies. Sometimes if I get on it extremely slowly it will drive.

nissandr1ft
11-14-2004, 09:00 PM
That's how mine acted when my MAFS went on my old auto. Try unplugging it and see how it runs until the 2500 cutoff. If it runs right till the cut that could be your problem.

Gjohnson7
11-15-2004, 11:52 AM
That's how mine acted when my MAFS went on my old auto. Try unplugging it and see how it runs until the 2500 cutoff. If it runs right till the cut that could be your problem.

OK, thanks. I'll try that later on tonight when I get the seats back in.

240meowth
11-15-2004, 04:39 PM
That is what mine is doing. I can let it idle forever, but when I hit the gas it dies. Sometimes if I get on it extremely slowly it will drive.

looks like i read your problem wrong. I guess we are in the same boat here... I can't figure mine out at all. It is completly clueless

Gjohnson7
11-15-2004, 05:07 PM
Have you checked the MAFS like the guy said above???? I figure its worth a try.

mooboy
11-15-2004, 06:12 PM
Yeah I had similar symptoms to what you described when my mafs sensor was not plugged all the way.

Gjohnson7
11-15-2004, 11:17 PM
Ok I thought I found the problem but now I'm just confused. I unplugged the Mafs and drove the car and it ran fine upto the 2500 cut off and then it with start lunging. Although after driving it for about a mile it would die when ever the Rpm dropped and I was coasting. Anyway I plugged the Mafs back up cause I thought that maybe it just wasn't plugged in tight before. (Seeing as how it practicaly feel out when I pulled it) Then I drove the car and she ran fine, unless I punched it then it would start hesiatating and lunging. And after about a mile or so the car started pulling the same stalling thing again. I roll up to a stop sign and it continues to idle, but when I hit the gas it coughs and dies. What do you think??? Is this a Mafs problem????

Gjohnson7
11-15-2004, 11:36 PM
Also, when ever she dies on me at a stoplight/sign she usually won't start right back up. It takes me cranking her over several times before she starts up and sometimes she'll start up and immediately die.

mooboy
11-16-2004, 12:09 AM
Get some zip ties and make sure the sensor really stays on there.

Gjohnson7
11-17-2004, 09:27 AM
Ok, well it does seem to be the MAFS. I went and picked up another one from a friend and I'm having the same problem. I guess I'm going to start with a full tune-up. I going to replace plugs, wires, rotor and cap, fuel filter and maybe PVC valve. Is there anything else I should pick up while I am doing this? Also, what plugs should I get and what should i gap them to? I've tried searching but couldn't find any useful info. Thanks

Oh, on a lighter note. I'm picking up some s14 seats from a junk yard on my lunch break. I got the pair for $45.00, do this bolt directly in?? :duh:

Gjohnson7
11-28-2004, 10:21 PM
Ok, finally got some pics. I haven't cleaned up the outside yet but I did put in my s14 seats and tear out the carpet. As soon as I sell my truck I will be picking up black interior from a friend and having the engine rebuilt. I'm planning on putting in low compression pistons and giving the engine the works so that I can boost it. Now for the pics.........
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/292700/8

idlafie
11-29-2004, 04:00 AM

Welcome to Zilvia net..you'ld probably get a better response if you posted your question in the Technical Section...as it is an engine related problem.

Zilvia net also has a SEARCH function that you can use to try to figure out what your problem is.

Before you assume it's your MAF, try doing the basic maintenance...things you mentioned previously...air & fuel filter, plugs (stick with NGK's - gapped at .039 to .044), distributor cap & rotor, also check your timing. It should be at 20 degrees. Set your idle AFTER you checked the timing...
Download a FSM...see below...and follow the instructions for timing & idle..

something I posted previously....some a repeat of above...

1) Check to see if you don't have anything clogging the air filter & intake box.
2) Check to see if you have any cracked, torn, cut, melted vacuum lines. If you are able to start the car & it idles...see if you can hear a hissing sound. If you can, trace it back to it's source & either replug it back to the connector it came loose from or replace/repair the cracked, torn, cut or melted line with another.
3) Check to see if any of your spark plug wires haven't come loose or disconnected from the plug.

As for the car idling roughly, when was the last time you tuned it? Change the spark plugs, distributor cap, rotor? Changed the air/oil/fuel filters?? If you're lucky it's just a loose spark plug wire, cracked/melted/cut/torn vacuum line or just needs a tune up.

If you haven't done so, get your hands on a FSM & start brushing up on your mechanical skills.
http://www.ffdet.com/members/rich/Nissan/nissan.htm

Hope this helps...

ID

OH...almost forgot...go to www.240sx.org and click on the FAQ button. Scroll down till you get to ECM Reading Trouble Codes DOHC. Follow those procedures and see what Diagnostic Trouble Codes your car kicks out. Post the results back here & we'll see if we can help you solve your idle problems..

Gjohnson7
11-29-2004, 12:01 PM
Sorry, for any confusion. But I've already fixed the problem. The car was just in need of a Complete Tune-up. I was just adding a link to the pics of my new ride. But thanks for the advice and the link to the FSM. (I've been looking to buy one.)

eliterit
11-29-2004, 09:15 PM
nice hubcaps :)

Gjohnson7
11-30-2004, 07:02 AM
double posting error. :rl:

Gjohnson7
11-30-2004, 07:03 AM
Yeah, those bad boys are gone now. I'm rockin steelies. Although, I think maybe I should run to the automotive section in Wal-Mart and pick up some of those 14 inch hub cap spinners!!!!! :naughty: