PDA

View Full Version : battery for lots of starting

*brett*
02-06-2019, 07:25 PM
so im learning drifting i have an event coming soon. i want to have a reliable battery. i know i will be stalling a lot and the battery i have now needs to be replaced anyway

so my question is, which battery is most reliable for a lot of starting?

jedi03
02-07-2019, 07:45 AM
optima yellow top

JrDarknes
02-07-2019, 09:10 AM
I think a RedTop Optima will be fine for you unless you're running alot of electronics. Then I would choose YellowTop Optima.

Or if you're not looking to spend alot of money I know I used to use a Duracell battery from sams club. Cost under 100 dollars I think, Didnt give me any issues.

Tearlessj
02-07-2019, 10:04 AM
Duracell & Interstate > Optima. You're overthinking it btw. Any battery will be fine for your drift event.

brndck
02-07-2019, 10:57 AM
I used an interstate CRX battery for years and years, with no issues
what engine are you using?

Hoffman5982
02-07-2019, 12:17 PM
I've been using a Deka etx30l(yes a motorcycle battery) and have been for well over a year. It has 400CCA which is more than enough, it's small, and it will crank the engine over for quite a while. I got it on amazon and did the credit card app for free $50 gift card and then never used the cc, so I ended up with this solid battery for 50 bucks. Can't beat it. Oreillys has the same battery by Super Start, which is also made by East Penn. In my daily I use a Super Start Extreme and in my S14 I just put in a Super Start premium. In my opinion anything by East Penn is your best bet.

simmode1
02-08-2019, 03:46 PM
Can you guys post pics of your small batteries? I find them hot and sexy.

Hoffman5982
02-08-2019, 10:37 PM
Can you guys post pics of your small batteries? I find them hot and sexy.

Here's mine

https://i.imgur.com/bJopPvG.jpg

Tearlessj
02-09-2019, 11:12 AM
Here's mine

What cold pipe is that?

kyral
02-09-2019, 11:54 AM
a battery, any healthy battery
even a used battery could do this no problems

and optimas are a colossal waste of money

Hoffman5982
02-09-2019, 12:32 PM
What cold pipe is that?

It’s an s13 sr cold pipe and the rest is s14 sr piping

derass
02-09-2019, 05:58 PM
I had a Costco battery. I believe they're made by Johnson Controls, a pretty big player in the automotive battery industry.

That was a damn good battery. Had it for 5 years and was still good when I sold the car. Lots of starting at the track. The car would sit for a month or two and it would still start no problem. Got lazy and left in in the car for a couple of winters, it would go dead, but come right back and be ready for another season after charging it.

jedi03
02-13-2019, 08:11 AM
i have had my optima going on 9 years...kept it whenever i sold a car lol

TheRealSy90
02-13-2019, 12:07 PM
Every Optima i've every bought was junk after a year or two. I hate the redtop in my drift car lol. Unfortunately I think they're still one of the cheapest "Gel" type batteries where you don't need to run a battery box if relocating the battery.

Encore
02-13-2019, 08:39 PM
What is the definition of "a lot of electronics?"

I just want a battery that doesn't dim my dash lights when I flick on the headlights or roll up my window. Or one that will allow my windows to roll up like they are not struggling like their life depends on it (if I happen to turn off the car before I roll up the windows).

JrDarknes
02-14-2019, 07:10 AM
What is the definition of "a lot of electronics?"

I just want a battery that doesn't dim my dash lights when I flick on the headlights or roll up my window. Or one that will allow my windows to roll up like they are not struggling like their life depends on it (if I happen to turn off the car before I roll up the windows).

If your stock charge cable is starting to get warm or relatively hot. I would say you're running alot of electronics.