PDA

View Full Version : New Garage - Need ideas to maximize working space, storage, etc

2_Liter_Turbo
10-24-2018, 11:29 AM
So my new house is about a month out from being complete. Getting a new "over-sized" garage to play with, but I can't make up my mind on how I want to approach making it the most awesome garage I've ever had. So if you have cool aspects of your garage/shop or just some good ideas you've come up with or seen, please share (with photos if possible)!*

I'll have to update the thread tonight with some pictures (at work atm), but the new garage has 10.5" ceilings, and is billed as a 5 car tandem garage. It's 1,041 sq ft with a two car garage door and a single car garage door up front. The two bay door has a floor depth of 37ft. The single bay is high 20s I think (I honestly forgot off the top of my head, but can update tonight).*

Some points of the garage that is already done or already planning on doing:
* I have 3x 220/30amp dedicated outlets.
* Because it's a post tension slab, I am going with a 4 post lift
* Lots of 110 outlets (a few are 20amp dedicated)
* Already paid for epoxy on the floor - textured for non-slip
* Painting the wall in a similar scheme as Nismo stuff, but with blue instead of red.
* Jackshaft garage door on single door, standard garage door on dual bay door.*
* Has a garage service door off to the side of the single width bay (And window).
* Fully insulated with dedicated A/C unit (I live in the desert... LOL)

Cars that will live in the garage at all times are just the R32 and S14. One spot will be an open spot for oil changes, etc. The wife will most likely park there in the summers. I have a lot of the large steel storage racks you can pick up at costco (not the giant orange ones they use, smaller than those). Planning on adding a welder, blast cabinet, large compressor (have a small one currently), and a few other larger toys, I mean tools...*

I'd like to optimize wheel/tire storage, hardware, parts storage, raw material, and work areas. That's about it, lol.

Oh, and I drew a simple replica in solidworks so I could move stuff around,* ha!

jumpman2334
10-24-2018, 11:55 AM
you're missing a 220v outlet for your welder, you may need another for your compressor (depending on how big). keep in mind if you plan to move stuff around or ever reorganize the location of the plug; or if you need to weld stuff on the car vs on a work bench.

I only have one in my shop for my welder and its near the entrance of the shop (we bought it like this). We will eventually wire in another for more flexibility. we have to weld in the same general area due to only having 1 plug. not the end of the world but it increases setup time.

I also see nothing about lighting (not sure if you posted a pic, work comp blocks a lot of zilvia's pix). don't be shy with the lighting. it sucks working on stuff in the dark.

2_Liter_Turbo
10-24-2018, 12:02 PM
you're missing a 220v outlet for your welder, you may need another for your compressor (depending on how big). keep in mind if you plan to move stuff around or ever reorganize the location of the plug; or if you need to weld stuff on the car vs on a work bench.

I only have one in my shop for my welder and its near the entrance of the shop (we bought it like this). We will eventually wire in another for more flexibility. we have to weld in the same general area due to only having 1 plug. not the end of the world but it increases setup time.

I also see nothing about lighting (not sure if you posted a pic, work comp blocks a lot of zilvia's pix). don't be shy with the lighting. it sucks working on stuff in the dark.

I have three 220V outlets as mentioned above. 1 for lift, 1 for compressor, and 1 for welder and other equipment if needed. I was only allowed to put in three unfortunately. At the moment, the garage comes with three LED overheads. I plan to do a lot more lighting of course, but definitely up for ideas!

jumpman2334
10-24-2018, 12:25 PM
derp. sorry I missed that!

2_Liter_Turbo
10-24-2018, 12:27 PM
derp. sorry I missed that!

Ha ha, no worries!

2_Liter_Turbo
10-25-2018, 11:51 AM
Forgot to upload pics last night, but here's the floorplan, lol.

​​​​​​​http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/93s13/QC/Floorpan.jpg

[240sx]
10-25-2018, 12:32 PM
^^ So it's a 5-car garage with an attached house.... NIICCCCCE.

2_Liter_Turbo
10-25-2018, 02:35 PM
;6303355']^^ So it's a 5-car garage with an attached house.... NIICCCCCE.

Indeed! The wife let me, so I consider myself lucky! LOL

2_Liter_Turbo
10-25-2018, 08:02 PM
Here are some pics of the "blank canvas" as of right now. A/C unit, water heater, and garage doors aren't installed yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/93s13/QC/10-20-18_QCHouse_01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/93s13/QC/10-20-18_QCHouse_02.jpg

2_Liter_Turbo
10-28-2018, 12:41 AM
So I modeled my new garage. I'd say it's accurate to +/- an inch at worst, lol. I also cut away the large blank wall (minus a few outlets) so it's easier to see detail.

So the first image below is my empty garage with what I'm thinking of cosmetics. I know it's not a slick rendering or anything, but you can get the idea. Still up in the air for epoxy coloring, but I'm thinking gray for the lower part of the wall, followed by 2 12 inch stripes in black and blue accordingly. Then, the upper part of the wall is left white.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/93s13/QC/EmptyNewGarage.jpg

Here is the garage with what I currently own in terms of major "furniture". Only thing in this image that I don't have but was planning on getting was the 4 post lift under the red "car" and an extra large shelf (shown in black in the middle - I own three currently). I have an extra engine stand and a couple other smaller things not shown. And of course, all the stuff that goes on the shelves, LOL.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v689/93s13/QC/CurrentStuffNewGarage.jpg

Any ideas for changes or where good places to put the cabinets would be (if I do built in)?

1on1
10-28-2018, 12:59 PM
Nice man! If it was me, I would keep the garage clean from storing items; probably build a outside storage for items not being used within a month + security camera(s).

Just use the garage for working on the cars, tools and items you would use. Other than that, sweet layout and congrats!

2_Liter_Turbo
10-28-2018, 02:38 PM
I'm definitely going to try. I plan on building a storage shed outside at one point, so that'll help a ton!

brndck
01-09-2019, 07:59 AM
What’s your ceiling height inside the garage? I just installed a 2post lift and it baaaaaaaaarely clears my ceiling. We measured it 19 different times just to make sure it would fit.

If you don’t need to be walking under the car, then maxjacks might be a good alternative to a full on commercial lift.

https://www.maxjaxusa.com

If you follow Nigel (engineered to slide) or Stewart Leask, they both use this.

d9m13n
01-09-2019, 11:29 AM
Join the obsessed garage facebook group, really great ideas on there and some real friendly folks.

ehhhregartless
01-11-2019, 04:36 AM
This guy has all the garage ideas

https://engineeredtoslide.com/2018/07/machine-shop/

TheRealSy90
01-11-2019, 07:18 AM
All I want in life is a big enough garage... So jealous right now.

Dolph_KYAS13
01-11-2019, 08:26 AM
Have you thought about adding hot/cold water? having hot or warm water goes a long way when detailing.

exitspeed
01-11-2019, 08:50 AM
I don't see a urinal or a beer fridge...

crash n' burn
01-11-2019, 11:01 AM
You need to hit up Garage Journal.