PDA

View Full Version : Over Rev manga/comics (like Initial D)

ZK
10-26-2004, 02:36 PM
I don't know if you guys know but there are a lot of car racing kind of comic series out there besides Initial D.

I've been reading Over Rev, which is about this girl who gets into drifting and touge, gets an MR2 and starts beating people on the mountain roads... but she knows nothing about cars. (sound familiar?) It's pretty cool, the drawings arent as detailed as Initial D but not bad.

You can download the English translated stuff here:
http://www.mangacity.net/main.php?page=overrev

They also have a live-action movie which I found.

Just wanted to share...

rainier
10-26-2004, 02:45 PM
i read max boost.

KA24DESOneThree
10-26-2004, 03:29 PM
Man, the artwork (the cars at least) looks horrible. The great artwork is pretty much my entire reason for reading Initial D.

DRFT
10-26-2004, 04:13 PM
seen that before but didnt pay much attention to it, maybe ill give it another shot

ZK
10-26-2004, 05:19 PM
Man, the artwork (the cars at least) looks horrible. The great artwork is pretty much my entire reason for reading Initial D.

The artwork gets better later on... The series is made by a female writer so the concentration is not so much on the cars but characters and how they build their racing skills and relationships with each other.

I guess it's more for people who like anime and manga in general.

Bbandit
10-26-2004, 09:02 PM
Thanks for the link.. My Gf will surely enjoy this (She likes mangas)

HyperTek
10-26-2004, 10:29 PM
now if you can find Wangan Midnight!! that woudl be cool.. . theres like no info on the net about it.. rarely..

kazuo
10-27-2004, 01:26 AM
Over Rev is siiiiick

One of my LP people translated the first few volumes. :)

Where did you find the movie? Is it official? Hook it up!

240trainee
10-27-2004, 07:42 AM
cool, something else to watch. Hope it'll be good.

kungfucowboy
10-27-2004, 10:48 AM
i love overrev! where did you find the live action movie i have been looking around for that for a while?

ZK
10-27-2004, 02:44 PM
There is a Live Action Wangan Midnight too but I've only seen part 1 of however many of them there are. Boy gets 240Z from old guy and builds it to beat this guy in a R34 GTR.

I found the Over Rev movie at a local video rental place. It is not subtitled. I'll see if I can make a digital copy or something but it will be in Japanese only.

Spoiler:
The movie follows the manga loosely and shows how she starts racing. Sawako starts out with her Kouki S14 instead of the S13, her boyfriend has the R32 GTR and Danmaru has the S13 Silvia, the girl with the EG Civic (she is hot!) is in it as well. Plot: There's a bad guy going around racing people for car parts. If they lose, he takes their car , turns it back to stock and gives it back to them. The reason he is doing it is because he knew someone who got killed in street racing so he is punishing all the street racers for what happened and taking modified cars off the road. Apparently the guy can beat everyone on the mountain roads in a STOCK S13 Silvia. So the main character, pissed off that her friends lost their cars to him ,challenges him to a race, she loses because her engine blows on her during the race. She does an engine swap , the EG Civic girl trains her on how to race and comes back to challenge him again...

The movie ends but at the end there's a spoiler of a Part 2 or something where this all girl race team challenge her to a race.

aznpoopy
10-27-2004, 02:54 PM
i have the first 10 or 15 volumes of wangan midnight. the artwork kind of annoys me sometimes but its cool to see old cars driving around. its a 240z with a LS1 i think. his rival is this dude in a porche who's always driving around with this girl. i think he crashes that 240z like twice within the first 2 or 3 issues! lol.

over-rev kind of annoyed me. all you have to do to drift my s13 is go full speed, slam the wheel one way and then the other, and hold the gas down! oops, slid the car off a pier; no biggie, i'll just get a s14 now! also a girl who knows jack about cars suddenly gets a junkyard mr2 (not a easy car to work on) and fixes it up? you gotta be joking me. at least takumi had bunta to do the work for him early on.

the only other driving anime i can think of is ex-driver.

SilviaNinja240
10-27-2004, 05:02 PM
YAY!~ Thanks for promoting Over Rev :)
If you'll noticed I translated (SushiNinja = SilviaNinja) or was one of many translators that helped translate this series. I'm not working on the project anymore, just did the first couplea books!

kungfucowboy
10-27-2004, 10:53 PM
over-rev kind of annoyed me. all you have to do to drift my s13 is go full speed, slam the wheel one way and then the other, and hold the gas down! oops, slid the car off a pier; no biggie, i'll just get a s14 now! also a girl who knows jack about cars suddenly gets a junkyard mr2 (not a easy car to work on) and fixes it up? you gotta be joking me. at least takumi had bunta to do the work for him early on.

well frist of all it's called FICTION second her parents sent the junkyard MR2 to be fixed up to pass the 2 year inspection:D

ALTRNTV
10-27-2004, 10:57 PM
i read max boost.

lol.. we have an Improper Tuner reader here, haha, j/p man :hsdance:

ZK
10-27-2004, 11:01 PM
YAY!~ Thanks for promoting Over Rev :)
If you'll noticed I translated (SushiNinja = SilviaNinja) or was one of many translators that helped translate this series. I'm not working on the project anymore, just did the first couplea books!

Thanks! Help translate more! :) The series goes on a long ways past what has been done so far. They are translating it pretty slowly.

Any chance we can get a Wangan Midnight translation? :)