PDA

View Full Version : Where should I start? ka24de diagnosis

kmjavenger
01-24-2018, 11:52 AM
Basically I'm in way over my head. I just bought a completely gutted and drifted ragtag 91 s13 ka24de DOHC a month ago. It's got strange wiring, systems deleted, no exhaust, and it only will start and idle at around 1000rpm if the gas pedal is to the floor. When I let my foot off the gas it revs up to 3000 shortly and then immediately dies. Where do I go from here?

My first thoughts are vacuum leaks due to the deleted systems not being capped and maybe something wrong with the wiring of the fuel pump (I think it's been hardwired without a relay, but it's difficult to trace). What should my first course of action be to start diagnosing what is wrong with the car?

I'm 20 and extremely new to cars. I'm really just trying to learn. I probably should've started with something a little more complete, but I've always loved s13s and I couldn't pass this one up.

flartius
01-24-2018, 12:33 PM
To be honest, it sounds like you would be better off doing an engine swap. Due to unknown missing systems and a general unknown condition of the motor you can get a swap motor complete just looking for a home. Then just finish the exhaust and other systems that are missing or working improperly or not working at all.

My $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kmjavenger
01-24-2018, 12:34 PM
That's what I'm saving up for. Though I'd love to cart around in the mean time.

flartius
01-24-2018, 12:40 PM
Download the FSM from zilvia and start reading through it. Look for missing components and try to find them in the manual and replace everything how it’s supposed to be. Jump the obd port and read the CEL codes to see what the ECU knows is missing or malfunctioning. That’s about all the help we can be without physically being there to look. Once you have more specific questions post them and we’ll try to give you an answer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

afishysilvia
01-24-2018, 12:45 PM
OP...

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=431245

START WITH SEARCH. You will see it will be your best friend. The FSM will do wonders for you.

afishysilvia
01-24-2018, 12:47 PM
Also to start with the vacuum, start shooting some brake cleaner around the intake manifold and see if your rpm jumps. if so...start there.

majgoldfish
01-25-2018, 03:36 PM
Take pics of the bay showing what your engine, intake, and exhaust setup look like.
It's highly likely that there's issues with your MAF, vacuum, egr and other things.