PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my 240

Manie
11-25-2017, 10:42 PM
Ok so i bought a 92 convertibale 240sx stock ka its auto its been sitting for over 4 years before i bought it and it didnt start so i replaced the ignition switch and starter and bought a new battery and it started. So today i changed the oil and it started pouring out more then 5 quarts and it smelled like gas so i put new oil and new filter and changed spark plugs and it started right up but its leaking something from the bottom of the motor and smelled like gas but it looked like old oil. And the motor shook really bad at low idle. Is the motor bad? Does anyone knows whats wrong?

nisileighty
11-25-2017, 10:50 PM
Test compression

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blkvrtswp
11-26-2017, 08:54 AM
While running, unplug each spark plug wire and see if the sound of the engine doesn't change on any. Repeat test on injectors. If no sound change, that cylinder is not firing. This can identify a bad coil, distributor / cap / rotor, or stuck injector.

Gas in oil could be from a stuck injector or leaking injector o-ring which allows the fuel rail to drain out in the cylinder, then it seeps past the rings into the bottom of the engine. Gas dilutes oil and leads to a spun bearing so stay on top of it and change the oil if it smells like gas.

Manie
11-26-2017, 09:02 AM
Ok thanks ill give that a try

mechanicalmoron
11-26-2017, 10:29 AM
Yeah.

Get an injector o-ring kit.

Drain gas, filter, etc, if possible. Maybe some techron.

The shaking is a flooded cylinder. Don't run it that way.

Manie
11-26-2017, 10:36 AM
Where can i get the injector o rings? And would that stop the leak coming from under the engine

mechanicalmoron
11-26-2017, 10:40 AM
Where can i get the injector o rings? And would that stop the leak coming from under the engine

Auto parts store, of course.

The leak may or may not totally go away, but it's probably pouring that badly because of the oil being thinned by gas contamination.

Manie
11-26-2017, 10:49 AM
Ok ill try doing that

mechanicalmoron
11-26-2017, 10:56 AM
Ok ill try doing that

To be clear, you'll need to change the oil again, as well as fix the issue causing the contamination.

KA's like thick oil, and in fact spec up to 20w-50, if you read all the stickers and such. It's okay to use any diesel oil you find on sale (it's often like 12 dollars a gallon), if you need something cheap for fast changes until you get rolling - it's also got excellent wear protection and detergents, will help clean up your motor.

Manie
11-26-2017, 11:49 AM
Should i just replace the injector

mechanicalmoron
11-26-2017, 12:25 PM
Should i just replace the injector

If it continues to be a problem, or if you have extra money kicking around.

Injector is like 40-80 bucks parts store list price, and there's 4. o-ring kit is like 8.99 or something. I'd pull the rail and see what's leaking - but from your description, it's o-rings (maybe a botched injector job in the past caused it to be parked? Somebody didn't lubricate it and tore the lower ring).

Manie
11-26-2017, 06:20 PM
Whay size are stock injectors?

mechanicalmoron
11-27-2017, 11:53 AM
Whay size are stock injectors?

Whatever size they hand you when you walk into the parts store and tell them your car and the part you want.

Manie
11-27-2017, 12:59 PM
I was gonna order it online

apex128
11-28-2017, 12:58 PM
+1 for injector O-rings. My KA was doing the same thing when I bought it. I got O-rings for 20 bucks on Deatschwerks website. You might be able to find them cheaper.

Esserz
11-28-2017, 06:13 PM
Injector could also be stuck open, especially if it was sitting for a while. Crap and sediment form in the fuel that can clog it so it cant close.

Manie
11-29-2017, 01:51 PM
Is 275cc injectors good for a stock ka

apex128
12-01-2017, 12:30 PM
Yes it is, are you changing out your injectors? I would start with the O-rings first unless you somehow figured out that the actual injector is bad.

Sailor
12-01-2017, 12:47 PM
If you have a Multi-meter- a good way to check if any one of your injectors is to unplug the connector to each injector, stick two lead wires into the injector so that you can probe it, and test for resistance across it (ohms). It should read somewhere around 13 ohms if the injectors are indeed working. Another great way to test them has already been listed- testing for misfire in either the spark plugs (spark plug/dizzy/wire problem), and testing for a bad injector via unplugging while running. However these tests wont tell you that you injectors are clogged or damaged, and should be also visually inspected

Diagram to measure ohms just in case
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wi90kx32c10/maxresdefault.jpg

apex128
12-01-2017, 01:55 PM
You can also put a screwdriver on the sidefeed injector cap thingy and feel / hear it firing. When I had this problem, I took the injectors out and touched them to a battery to see if they squirted any residual fuel out.

apex128
12-22-2017, 09:41 AM
Update? Did you get it fixed?

Manie
12-22-2017, 09:55 AM
I replaced the o ring and replaced fuel pump car starts but now the motor shacks at low idle. When rev up to 1500 shake goes away but gas nd what looks like oil comes out from the exhaust.what could be causing this?

brandon519
12-22-2017, 11:23 AM
Honestly I would do what the first guy said and test compression. It's possible that the rings are just bad, or the valve stem seals are bad. For the rough idle I'd say check the ignition timing. Also do what others have said and make sure that injectors are firing properly. But if your car is burning that much oil its most likely either rings or valve stem seals.

mechanicalmoron
12-23-2017, 06:39 AM
I replaced the o ring and replaced fuel pump car starts but now the motor shacks at low idle. When rev up to 1500 shake goes away but gas nd what looks like oil comes out from the exhaust.what could be causing this?

But it doesn't shake the same way?

Your exhaust is going to be full of gas and oil and crud, it'll smoke badly a few miles - if the contaminated oil has been changed and it's running reasonably smoothly, take it for a little drive, and romp on it a bit, see what comes out the back.

Having some shake could come from a lot of things, unplug injectors to verify that each one makes a (similar) change in the idle.

IvoryWhiteS13
12-23-2017, 07:20 AM
I had this same issue with my s13 when i first bought it. Ended up being two stuck injectors. Whats happening is the injectors are double firing fuel and the excess fuel gets pushed out of the exhaust, and also goes into the oil pan. Im assuming you have white smoke coming from the exhaust? Best way to check is grab a multimeter and check the resistance of each injector. Factory spec should be about 11ohms if they are good.

Manie
12-23-2017, 07:29 AM
Ya it's white smoke coming from exhaust. Ill unplug injectors and see if there any change in idle and ill test the injectors today. Thanks for the advice ill let yall know what happens

IvoryWhiteS13
12-23-2017, 07:37 AM
Ya it's white smoke coming from exhaust. Ill unplug injectors and see if there any change in idle and ill test the injectors today. Thanks for the advice ill let yall know what happens

Ya keep me posted. you can get new ones at autozone for like $70 an injector

Manie
12-26-2017, 04:34 PM
I tested the injectors with a multimeter they all read 11ohms

mechanicalmoron
12-26-2017, 06:41 PM
Drive it around the block...

IvoryWhiteS13
12-27-2017, 06:02 AM
I tested the injectors with a multimeter they all read 11ohms

Ok, have you pulled the spark plugs yet to check if there is excess fuel in the cylinders? Its also possible you may have leaky injector o rings.

Manie
12-31-2017, 10:59 AM
I do smell gas when i check the spark plugs but i replaced the o ring in the injectors like a week ago

Manie
12-31-2017, 05:17 PM
I checked all spark plugs i did smell gas but i replaced i injector o rings about a weeks ago. And when i had it running i pulled spark plug wire on spark plug wire 1 there was no change on 2 3 and 4 when i unpluged the wires the car was wanting to die. And The motor still shakes at low idle.

apex128
12-31-2017, 06:17 PM
I want to help, but it's really hard to figure out what you are saying. At least put some periods in there every once in a while. Just saying.
Sounds like your car might be running on 3 cylinders. You should make sure there is no flooding of the cylinder.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Manie
01-10-2018, 10:43 AM
How do i cheack if theres flooding in the cylinders? And its only runing on 2 cylinders ima try to do a compression test today

Manie
01-15-2018, 10:36 AM
Compression was 85,70,75,80

mechanicalmoron
01-15-2018, 05:28 PM
Compression was 85,70,75,80

That's very low. To be clear, you should check compression as follows:

Make sure your battery is charged, and use any other starting assist device you can.
Remove all plugs (unplug coil, if you love it)
Install tester firmly/tightly onto cylinder to be tested
Crank and count ten compression strokes
make sure gage isn't dropping pressure (loose valve core in compression tester check valve), and record reading, repeat on remaining 3 cylinders.

If that looks like what you did, try it again, with a cap full of motor oil down each cylinder. If it jumps up dramatically, it's probably rings/rebuild time. But either way, it's probably that time.

That said, this is what these motors do. If you want to drive it, it's probably not about to disintegrate by any degree, you could drive it plenty while getting together another motor or overhaul plans/research for this one. Your rings are burnt up and will let lots of blowby, you'll have a smoky pos and will have to add lots of oil, but if you want to drive it go put a full change of 20w-50 with a quart of lucas, check it often, and keep pourin' it in... thickest cheapest stuff you can find, 20w-50 is in spec for a new KA (over like 55f or something), so considerably thickened from that won't do much harm in your motor, with it's excessive clearances. Obviously you will have to further isolate the miss to spark or fuel on cyl 1, and fix that.

Also, it'll leak really badly, because the blowby will overpower your old clogged pcv and push oil past all the seals when the crankcase pressurizes.

Prince of Saiyans
01-24-2018, 01:38 PM
When you injector 0-rings went bad my 240 shook like crazy. I replaced the injectors and a few days later is started again. The o-ring got ripped some how. So this time I only replaced just the O-rings. I took the fuel rail off but installed everything else and primed the system to see if any injector was leaking. Its nice to see the bottom of the rail to see if they are leaking

Manie
03-08-2018, 01:06 PM
I replaced fuel injectors with new ones and fuel filter it fixed the problem but now when the engine gets to running temp so much white smoke comes from the exhaust and engine where the headers are at. Any idea what this could be?

lunchmeat
03-08-2018, 02:20 PM
Spill something on the headers? Does it smell sweet?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Manie
03-08-2018, 02:26 PM
It smells like a burning

apex128
03-08-2018, 02:42 PM
You probably have a header leak and leaky o rings. Did you lubricate the seals when you put the injectors in?

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Manie
03-08-2018, 02:51 PM
Ya i luped the o rings before installing.

apex128
03-08-2018, 06:51 PM
They probably still broke somehow. I would check them to be sure. The smoke from the engine bay is just an exhaust leak that you need to fix.

Manie
03-09-2018, 09:52 AM
Would the piston rings make it smoke like it does? Somone told me to take out the plugs and pour marvel mistery oil into each cylinder and let it sit for a couple days

apex128
03-26-2018, 07:59 PM
What does the smoke smell like? "smells like a burning" is not exactly a good description.. Your compression numbers were super low, so it could be bad rings. I would do what mechanicalmoron said and report back.

Manie
03-30-2018, 09:21 AM
The 240 runs it still smokes a lil bit but not as bad. Theres oil coming out the exhaust. And also where would be a good place to order the power window amp?

brandon519
03-30-2018, 10:06 AM
Just drive it until it blows up.