PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!!! SR20DET timing light won't work

nisileighty
08-24-2017, 03:57 PM
Before you tell me to search I have, and I haven't found an answer.

I've had this timing light for years, used it for all my automotive timing purposes and it's worked great. Recently, I went to check my CAS timing on my SR and my timing light wouldn't work. I searched and found I'm supposed to use an inductive timing light, which is what mine is. I've tried putting the signal on the inductive loop and the #1 coilpack wires (tried all 3). Nothing worked. When I hook the timing light up to the battery and pull the trigger, I hear it make a high pitched whine which tells me it turns on and isn't broken. So my question is: is this the wrong timing light or is something not correct on my coilpack harness? My car runs good and I've checked to make sure all 4 are firing.

TIA!

cotbu
08-24-2017, 04:01 PM
Did you try the timing light on another vehicle?

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk

hanzbrady
08-24-2017, 06:24 PM
Take a coil out and stick a spark plug wire in the hole then connect the other end of the plug wire onto the spark plug. The inductive loop technique is horribly inconsistent. take the inductive pick up on your timing light and put it around the plug wire (make sure you have it on right these are directional) and you should be good to go. Haltech has a video on how to do this.

nisileighty
08-24-2017, 08:25 PM
Take a coil out and stick a spark plug in the hole then connect the other end of the plug onto the spark plug. The inductive loop technique is horribly inconsistent. take the inductive pick up on your timing light and put it around the plug wire (make sure you have it on right these are directional) and you should be good to go. Haltech has a video on how to do this.

Okay cool. I did a few searches on google and such and I can't find the video. Would you happen to have a link or something?

hanzbrady
08-24-2017, 08:26 PM
Okay cool. I did a few searches on google and such and I can't find the video. Would you happen to have a link or something?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d31iRGvpVJI

nisileighty
08-24-2017, 08:27 PM
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d31iRGvpVJI

Awesome thanks a bunch man!

SteeleBrothersDrifting_Mike
08-28-2017, 01:22 PM
If you have a wiring specialties harness there is a loop at the back of the head specifically for a timing light.

hanzbrady
08-28-2017, 06:58 PM
If you have a wiring specialties harness there is a loop at the back of the head specifically for a timing light.

Still doesn't work. I have a pro harness and couldn't get a clean signal setting the base timing on my aftermarket ECU. Haltech's method works the best.

cbeuglas
08-29-2017, 05:28 AM
I alwase use a KA24 plug wire. Pull the coil pack off the number 1 spark plug. Put the KA plug wire on the number 1 plug. The other end of the plug wire plugs into the number 1 coil. Place the timing light clip around the KA plug wire and it will work if your light is still good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

nisileighty
08-29-2017, 04:42 PM
I alwase use a KA24 plug wire. Pull the coil pack off the number 1 spark plug. Put the KA plug wire on the number 1 plug. The other end of the plug wire plugs into the number 1 coil. Place the timing light clip around the KA plug wire and it will work if your light is still good.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Ah I see. Okay thanks!

OutlawLui
08-29-2017, 05:17 PM
if you stick your finger in the plug and crank it you can feel the signal

hanzbrady
08-30-2017, 08:54 AM
if you stick your finger in the plug and crank it you can feel the signal

I've done this 10/10 don't recommend lol.