PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on car I'm looking at on CL

saltyvx
08-22-2017, 08:18 PM
I was interested in this S14 I saw listed on craigslist recently. I texted him today asking the following questions.

https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/1998-nissan-240sx-se-s14/6271615098.html

6 speed transmission or 5 speed?
Any VTC issues in the past or present?
Ever spin rod bearing?
Motor blow and need rebuild?
Did you build it or did a shop?
Do you have receipts for the parts on the car?

He messaged me back " 5 speed. No. No. No. Shop. But don't have receipts. Previous owner did the swap.

I reply " Still have contact info of previous owner? Know what shop built the motor? Any proof at all of engine internals?

He messaged me back " I do have the previous owners contact info but he hasn't responded lately."

My reply " I'd be more inclined to make an offer if there was proof of the engine internals."

His reply " Yeah unfortunately I don't. but you are free to check it out."

First off I'm thinking might be a sr20 from a s14a not the s15 since it has a 5speed transmission unless the 6speed was swapped out for one. Things seem a bit fishy here. Should I just not even bother and wait for something else to pop up? I feel like I could be passing up a clean car or just get completely fucked.

Almighty So
08-22-2017, 08:49 PM
IMO the price is way high for an SR kouki. Although it did have an extensive parts list I didn't bother to read lol.
Also s15 was offered with 5 speed and 6 speed transmissions for spec-s and spec-r respectively.
Try posting in this thread;

http://zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=609900

saltyvx
08-22-2017, 11:47 PM
Anyone else care to give their thoughts?

DJPimpFlex
08-22-2017, 11:53 PM
Make up your own mind. It is a lot of money. Looks well made and would cost you more to do it yourself.

saltyvx
08-23-2017, 02:36 PM
...thanks for the advice....

240sex_s14
08-23-2017, 03:24 PM
maybe its just the engine alone and has sr 5 speed trans attached to it. Also "so you don't even need to smog it again after you purchase. I also just paid registration so the tags are good till October 2019." that right there...you do have to smog it again, I just did mine yesterday for title transfer and the lady at the DMV said any time after transfer of new owner you need to smog.

saltyvx
08-23-2017, 06:08 PM
My worries here are no proof/receipts of engine internals.

240sex_s14
08-24-2017, 11:06 AM
My worries here are no proof/receipts of engine internals.

yeah with something like that, only thing to do is have a shop take it down and identify the parts then put it back together. I like to build my cars, I rather just avoid the whole sr swapped 240s and what not unless you're planning on rebuilding them due to the unknown treatment they went through.

I just picked up a bone stock 98 silver moss color for 6k. All original no rust or dents just paint peeling and that's it. took me a few months to find the perfect car due to me investing into it with a 2j swap that undergoing right now.

GL with your search! keep us updated on what you buy or have any other opinions on a car.

Extreme Dimensions
08-24-2017, 12:47 PM
He's diverting you..."he hasn't responded lately."

Sketch MeGetch.