PDA

View Full Version : Help me pick a new 3 row SUV daily

simmode1
08-02-2017, 11:56 PM
Hey guys, I need help picking out a new daily. I'm looking for an inexpensive (ie USED AF) SUV with 3rd row seating for the kiddos. All I've looked at so far have been the Pilot & MDX.

I'm trying to stay under $6k, so that's maybe 2006 vintage rides, I guess. What others should I be considering? I think Pathfinder & 4Runner are competitors, right? Who else?

!Zar!
08-03-2017, 12:29 AM
Pilot is a good choice. A 4runner is an option however they tend to be over priced due to “off roading tax” The Lexus GX470 is the platform of the 4runner, yet better priced.

Personally, I picked up an Armada recently to replace my Ford Explorer.

No regrets.

johnydoesit
08-03-2017, 12:43 AM
If mpg isn't a deal breaker for you a Suburban is hard to beat. My dad has a 2003 going on 200,000 miles now with nothing else than fluid and brake changes.

simmode1
08-03-2017, 07:46 AM
Pilot is a good choice. A 4runner is an option however they tend to be over priced due to “off roading tax” The Lexus GX470 is the platform of the 4runner, yet better priced.

Personally, I picked up an Armada recently to replace my Ford Explorer.

No regrets.
Any reason why you singled out the Pilot over the MDX? I was once given a 1st gen Pilot as a loaner car & while i liked it, it really seemed like a stripped down MDX in terms of available features.

The Armada's look cool as hell. I'm gonna look into whether i can fit one in the budget. Might have to settle for a V8 Pathy. Any issues Armada shoppers should be aware of?

Thanks for the Lexus heads up. The 4Runner is ugly AF to me. I'll check out the Lexus version.
If mpg isn't a deal breaker for you a Suburban is hard to beat. My dad has a 2003 going on 200,000 miles now with nothing else than fluid and brake changes.
Not a fan of that generation's styling. Too 20th century for what I'm looking for. The following gens looked nice, but they're more than i wanna pay. Plus, mpgs are increasing in importance to me since my work commute recently got a lot longer.

d9m13n
08-03-2017, 07:53 AM
Kind of left field, but I just picked up an 01 Land Rover Discovery 2. Its got 7 seats (fold in 3rd row jumper seats) and is surprisingly well equipped for an 01 car. Super comfy, super smooth v8, great visibility, all the amenities Id ever need in SE7 trim (highest trim level). Crazy capable and it tows up to 7700lbs which is great if you ever need to pick up a uhaul trailer for the day and bring the s chassis to the track (which ill be doing eventually) Picked it up for a touch over 2k with 160k on it. With your budget it makes me wonder if an lr3 or a later LR model would fit and make a great daily.

silnv
08-03-2017, 08:31 AM
Are you talking full size 3rd row? Or like jump seats if needed on occasion? We have an Outlander GT that has fold down 3rd row. It has been a great vehicle for us for over 2 years now.

d9m13n
08-03-2017, 08:36 AM
Are you talking full size 3rd row? Or like jump seats if needed on occasion? We have an Outlander GT that has fold down 3rd row. It has been a great vehicle for us for over 2 years now.

2 fold in jump seats, perfectly usable and stow away nicely yielding a ton of room in the back though

midnight zenki
08-03-2017, 11:34 AM
Watch out for certain years of the first gen armada without front camber bolts. If it starts eating tires you then have to fork over additional money to buy the adjustable camber bolts from Nissan to get it back in spec.

!Zar!
08-03-2017, 03:08 PM
Any reason why you singled out the Pilot over the MDX? I was once given a 1st gen Pilot as a loaner car & while i liked it, it really seemed like a stripped down MDX in terms of available features.

The Armada's look cool as hell. I'm gonna look into whether i can fit one in the budget. Might have to settle for a V8 Pathy. Any issues Armada shoppers should be aware of?
The Pilot and the MDX share the same platform. Meaning the Pilot is more or less no frills, while the MDX has all of the luxury options. Personally, I can live without all of the electronic bells and whistles. Less to go wrong down the road. I came extremely close to purchasing the Pilot, but ended up going with a V8 Explorer with third row due to the better towing capacity and ability to roll out to the snow with a bunch of friends.

I've been enjoying my Armada immensely. Gas mileage leaves a lot to be desired though. The only "common" problem is the headers are prone to cracking.

Thanks for the Lexus heads up. The 4Runner is ugly AF to me. I'll check out the Lexus version.

Not a fan of that generation's styling. Too 20th century for what I'm looking for. The following gens looked nice, but they're more than i wanna pay. Plus, mpgs are increasing in importance to me since my work commute recently got a lot longer.
If MPGs are important, the Armada might be a no for you. If that's the case, a 6 cyl is probably your best option.

Watch out for certain years of the first gen armada without front camber bolts. If it starts eating tires you then have to fork over additional money to buy the adjustable camber bolts from Nissan to get it back in spec.

2004 and 2005 Pathfinder / Armada have adjustable camber stock.

2006+ Armadas do not come factory with adjustable camber.

rawgarage
08-03-2017, 04:54 PM
Audi Q7 are going for the low

enkei2k
08-03-2017, 06:39 PM
Hey guys, I need help picking out a new daily. I'm looking for an inexpensive (ie USED AF) SUV with 3rd row seating for the kiddos. All I've looked at so far have been the Pilot & MDX.

I'm trying to stay under $6k, so that's maybe 2006 vintage rides, I guess. What others should I be considering? I think Pathfinder & 4Runner are competitors, right? Who else?

4Runners are optional 3rd row I believe? I could be totally wrong from that year but nowadays they are, so maybe hard to find.

Are you planning on sticking with Japanese brand or are you OK with US/Euro?

Maybe a Ford Explorer? I think those came with 3rd rows. Or if you want, maybe even a used Land Cruiser from 2000. Not sure how they are priced in your neck of the woods, but they can be had for pretty cheap if you're lucky. Will have a crapton of miles though.

example of used LC in Texas area https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/l-Used-Toyota-Land-Cruiser-Dallas-d299_L33702#listing=180790493

simmode1
08-04-2017, 01:52 PM
Wow, a lot of suggestions I never would have thought of. Thanks guys!

I don't really need a ginormous suv. My family is all short ppl...lol... Just want a little more room in case my mom & sister want to ride with me, my wife & 2 kids.

Japanese is my preference since that's what i know best, but I'll consider any product as long as its good. For example, i had no idea the Q7 even existed & i think i like it a lot. I think it's still a little more than i want to spend, but it might be worth saving up for a little more.

Gx470 - over my budget & don't like the styling
Range Rover Discovery - don't like the styling of that model but i got some homework to do on their other models
Explorer - Not until i can afford an Ecoboost one
Land Cruiser - didn't see pricing i liked locally & not in love with the styling

Honestly, I'm thinking besides the Pilot/MDX the 2005 to whatever Pathfinder is my new frontrunner, just from it being a familiar Nissan product. But I'm still open to suggestions. Where's Exitspeed at? Didn't he have one of these?

Maybe i should see if there were premium 1st gen Pilots sold that had some of the features I'm wanting from the MDX, but for less money...hmmm...

Standard
08-04-2017, 09:31 PM
Pilot is a good choice, something I've looked into with a growing family. My current daily is a trailblazer, and let me tell you, it's awesome. It's a 2002 that my dad bought with 20k on it. I bought it from him with 160k on it years ago. Today is has 307k on it, unopened original engine and trans. Hands down best, most reliable vehicle I've owned. Minor common issues, but easy to work on. The inline 6 4.2 is bulletproof. I've concluded that when this one dies I'm buying another one, for sure. Good luck with your decision, Toyota is also a great choice :)

Edit: also, had a v8 2005 explorer with 3rd row. Biggest piece of shit ever. Gave it away, fuck that thing

KiLLeR2001
08-04-2017, 10:32 PM
Speaking of SUVs, I just bought this.....

http://tehl33tsite.com/957ctt/20623262_1853285761356241_1281750951_o.jpg

My poor bank account is finished.

simmode1
08-05-2017, 01:14 AM
Thanks Standard. Great advice.

Killer, is that the Cayenne? I looked at those for a hot second before i realized that's out of my league right now lol

!Zar!
08-05-2017, 01:52 AM
Edit: also, had a v8 2005 explorer with 3rd row. Biggest piece of shit ever. Gave it away, fuck that thing

Funny you say that. Consumer reports rated it as the worst vehicle ever put on their list. But mine was awesome to me. Countless trips to the mountains though all sorts of snow storms. Even towed well.

I don’t miss it though.
https://i.imgur.com/tCsNFkA.jpg

Relplaced the explorer with the Armada because it can tow better, offera more passenger space, and feels much more solid.
https://i.imgur.com/5NKA60l.jpg

Sorry for the gargantuian pictures. imgur doesn’t resize. Oh well. Fuck it.

KiLLeR2001
08-05-2017, 12:40 PM
Killer, is that the Cayenne? I looked at those for a hot second before i realized that's out of my league right now lol

Yes, Cayenne Turbo to be exact. AWD 500+ hp V8 twin turbo. I figure if I'm going to own something with automatic transmission it needs to be fun. :naughty:

!Zar!
08-05-2017, 06:07 PM
Another option is the Toyota Highlander.

Felipe
08-06-2017, 12:59 AM
I would go with the mdx. Brother in law has a pilot, seats are hard af lol it sucks ass for long trips!

Not a 3 row... but might fit the budget.
Awd vw touareg?
(Pic of 2007)
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/VW_Touareg_front_20071125.jpg

exitspeed
08-07-2017, 02:30 PM
It's interesting because mid 2000's 3 row CUVs were popular but nothing like they are now.

As far as what was out then as options...

Tahoe
Suburban
Escalade
Yukon
Explorer
Pathfinder
Pilot
MDX
Pathfinder
Armada
QX60
Traverse
Acadia
Enclave
Tourag

Probably a few I forgot. Probably for a reason. I'd say if I had to choose a used one, I'd go bigger. Armada, QX60, Yukon Denali. I've had a '14 Pathfinder and now a '17 CX9 and while I LOVE the CX9 infinitely more than the Pathfinder, the only thing I wish I had was more space. That's my ONLY complaint.

That's my advice, go as big as you can afford.

Interiors really sucked back in the mid 2000's (mid recession) so don't expect as well appointed cars as today.

If you have the budget, maybe lease new? Heck my CX9 is only $422/ month. That's a LOT of car for such little cash.

simmode1
08-07-2017, 04:38 PM
Thanks Exit, lots of options there I never considered.

I'm trying to avoid leasing/carnotes. My wife & I were on course to buy a house back in january before I got laid off. But now that I'm working again & can resume looking, I want to keep my monthly expenses low for a while.

What's the thought process behind 'go big'? I'm thinking my wife and I are mid 5ft ppl with 2 tiny kids. And wifey is a tree hugger...lol... Don't really want to get more than I need and pay even more at the pump. But maybe I'm missing out on some unforeseen value...? I just want something my family of 4 little ppl can move around in & can also accommodate my mom and sister if they're in town (which ain't often). Plus something that can tow my next Nissan to the track...

exitspeed
08-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Thanks Exit, lots of options there I never considered.

I'm trying to avoid leasing/carnotes. My wife & I were on course to buy a house back in january before I got laid off. But now that I'm working again & can resume looking, I want to keep my monthly expenses low for a while.

What's the thought process behind 'go big'? I'm thinking my wife and I are mid 5ft ppl with 2 tiny kids. And wifey is a tree hugger...lol... Don't really want to get more than I need and pay even more at the pump. But maybe I'm missing out on some unforeseen value...? I just want something my family of 4 little ppl can move around in & can also accommodate my mom and sister if they're in town (which ain't often). Plus something that can tow my next Nissan to the track...

With two kids, you're fine. Have three and you're fucked. With anyone in the third row you basically have room for one large thing. Need the kids wagon AND a cooler? Tough shit. Maybe that's not in the cards (third kid) for you, but then you really don't even need the third row. We got along pretty well in our Murano when we had two kids. Again though you run into the cargo space. Most of the space behind any of the CUVs back seat (be it second or third row) is minimal because they all have a sloped window. When you go with a Yukon/Tahoe/QX80 you get way more cargo room because they are giant boxes.

simmode1
08-07-2017, 05:04 PM
Ahhh... I see. Cargo room. I didn't even think about that because we almost never drive anywhere more than a hour away. Further than that & we fly on wifey's flight benefits. But those are great things to pay attention when I'm test driving. Thanks!

turbronegro
08-08-2017, 11:16 AM
I have a 7.3 excursion...It's just my wife, my kid, and I. (I'm 5'8" and wife is 4,11"). It's overkill to the fullest but I love it. It does everything needed and can tow your life. Its awesome for track days because the fam can camp in the back while soaking up AC out of the sun while I have fun. I'm not suggesting you go absurdly big like I did, but I do suggest get what your looking for plus a little extra. But, thats my philosophy with trucks and SUV's.

I know as far as 'do it all family SUV's' that are reliable and can tow. You cant go wrong with the early to mid 2000's GM's (tahoe, yukon, suburban, yukon xl). No they dont get the MPG's most are looking for but they last forever and parts are cheap, which saves you money in the long wrong which might make up for the milage. I do think the Armarda gets even worse gas milage to be honest. Toyota Sequoia (spelling?), Ford Explorers, 06+ 5.4 Expoditions, Pilot, MDX, are all good choices as well. It doesnt seem like you're willing to accept domestic options though.

How often do you plan to drive it?
How much will it tow?
Whats your MPG goals?

simmode1
08-08-2017, 12:47 PM
^^^I'm open to domestic options, I'm just not sure I can afford the ones I want yet. I'm just wary of most pre-auto bailout domestic stuff. Stuff didn't have great reputation for quality. The 2007/2008/2009 stuff, styling starting getting cooler and quality increased. I'd probably feel more comfy with one, but I don't wanna spend that much. Maybe the slightly older stuff's bad reputation is overblown? I dunno. Been into imports too long...

turbronegro
08-08-2017, 02:18 PM
I'll tell you the GM stuff with the displacement on demand looks a lot better and has better quality but the engines arent as reliable. They did get the tougher auto trans while the older stuff got the 4L60e which is the ONLY major weak point for the GM truck/SUV of that era. They're a dime a dozen.

RB26guy
08-08-2017, 02:51 PM
Check out here:

RB26guy
08-08-2017, 02:56 PM
Check on here for a good deal, I just bought my X5 on here for a pretty decent price.

https://www.autolist.com/nissan-pathfinder-boston-ma#latitude=42.3600825&longitude=-71.05888010000001&make=Nissan&model=Pathfinder&buyer_intelligence=true&sort_new_cars_last=true&location=Boston%2C+MA&sort_filter=price%3Aasc&page=1&radius=100&price_min=6000&price_max=

Good luck with your search!

simmode1
08-08-2017, 03:21 PM
I'll tell you the GM stuff with the displacement on demand looks a lot better and has better quality but the engines arent as reliable. They did get the tougher auto trans while the older stuff got the 4L60e which is the ONLY major weak point for the GM truck/SUV of that era. They're a dime a dozen.
Good info. I'll take that into account.
Check on here for a good deal, I just bought my X5 on here for a pretty decent price.

https://www.autolist.com/nissan-pathfinder-boston-ma#latitude=42.3600825&longitude=-71.05888010000001&make=Nissan&model=Pathfinder&buyer_intelligence=true&sort_new_cars_last=true&location=Boston%2C+MA&sort_filter=price%3Aasc&page=1&radius=100&price_min=6000&price_max=

Good luck with your search!
I was about to trip out about those prices at first, they're quite a bit higher than what I've been seeing. But then the mileage on these are all low... pretty much all under 150k miles. That's not bad. I'll keep this in mind.

Matador
08-12-2017, 01:22 PM
A 1st gen Sequoia might be worth looking at since they can be had for a bit less than a comparable 4Runner or GX470.

simmode1
08-16-2017, 10:42 PM
I have a 7.3 excursion...It's just my wife, my kid, and I. (I'm 5'8" and wife is 4,11"). It's overkill to the fullest but I love it. It does everything needed and can tow your life. Its awesome for track days because the fam can camp in the back while soaking up AC out of the sun while I have fun. I'm not suggesting you go absurdly big like I did, but I do suggest get what your looking for plus a little extra. But, thats my philosophy with trucks and SUV's.

I know as far as 'do it all family SUV's' that are reliable and can tow. You cant go wrong with the early to mid 2000's GM's (tahoe, yukon, suburban, yukon xl). No they dont get the MPG's most are looking for but they last forever and parts are cheap, which saves you money in the long wrong which might make up for the milage. I do think the Armarda gets even worse gas milage to be honest. Toyota Sequoia (spelling?), Ford Explorers, 06+ 5.4 Expoditions, Pilot, MDX, are all good choices as well. It doesnt seem like you're willing to accept domestic options though.

How often do you plan to drive it?
How much will it tow?
Whats your MPG goals?
Started looking at more GM products. I'd love to get 2007+ police interceptor Tahoe, but that more than i want to spend right now.

I don't anticipate ever towing anything heavier than a Z32 right now. I really don't know what to expect in terms of MPGs. Is mid to high teens too much to ask for?
My current daily is a trailblazer, and let me tell you, it's awesome. It's a 2002 that my dad bought with 20k on it. I bought it from him with 160k on it years ago. Today is has 307k on it, unopened original engine and trans. Hands down best, most reliable vehicle I've owned. Minor common issues, but easy to work on. The inline 6 4.2 is bulletproof. I've concluded that when this one dies I'm buying another one, for sure.
Saw a Trailblazer EXT on the road today & got interested in it since you mentioned it in here. Holy crap, what a sleeper vehicle. I had no idea. 3 available engines, including a 4.2L inline 6 with 273hp?!? Do ppl turbo those? Bet it beats the dogshit out of the Pathfinder's VQ40... The 5.3l LM4 is the mid-level engine cranking 300hp with cylinder deactivation back in 2003?!? Dafuq!!! Plus i really dig the styling. Would look amazing with a modest drop, wheels & SS aero. I couldn't believe how cheap they are. They're basically free... lol... But reviews are pretty bad on them in terms of reliability & crash safety. Is that because of the v8's displacement on demand & transmission issues that were mentioned earlier? Apparently, this things got a shitload of twins from other brands. Are they any better options? What do you guys think?

Oh, looked at the Sequoia. Put me to sleep.

turbronegro
08-17-2017, 07:52 PM
Mid to high teens while towing?
I'm assuming mid teens maybe if you're light on it while empty lol.

Last 4 tanks on my excursion has been 17 to 18.5 mpg. 70% city and 30% highway.

!Zar!
08-17-2017, 08:43 PM
You are not going to get high teens while gas. You need a diesel for that.

American is cool. But all too often early to mid 2000’s have transmission issues.

simmode1
08-18-2017, 08:12 AM

Oh no, I won't be towing often enough to care about mpg while towing. I'm just hoping for mid to high teens are regular everyday driving. Your Excursion mpg gives me some hope.

Well, sniffing around the Trailblazer has led me to all their shared GMT360 & GMT370 chassis brethren. The Ascender, Bravada and Ranier make my stomach turn. I LOVE the upscale styling of the Saab 9-7X, but it doesn't seem to offer 3rd row seating. The leaves the GMC Envoy XL. The Denali version looks perfect for me in terms of styling & price, but they seem pretty rare. Might just have to look for a regular XL to test drive.

GM guys - correct me if I'm wrong, but my initial impression is that the 4.2L I6 Vortech is more reliable than the 5.3L V8 LM4... Yes or no?

!Zar!
08-18-2017, 03:05 PM

v8 gas, v10, or one of the diesel v8s? These numbers look like diesel.

turbronegro
08-18-2017, 04:47 PM
It's a 7.3 diesel. No gas v8 or v10 suv will get these number lol

simmode1
08-18-2017, 10:18 PM
It's a 7.3 diesel. No gas v8 or v10 suv will get these number lol
Oh, I'm not really interested much in the V8 right now. I'm hoping to get these kinda numbers from the 4.2L I6...:-/

Standard
08-19-2017, 07:52 AM
Well, sniffing around the Trailblazer has led me to all their shared GMT360 & GMT370 chassis brethren. The Ascender, Bravada and Ranier make my stomach turn. I LOVE the upscale styling of the Saab 9-7X, but it doesn't seem to offer 3rd row seating. The leaves the GMC Envoy XL. The Denali version looks perfect for me in terms of styling & price, but they seem pretty rare. Might just have to look for a regular XL to test drive.

GM guys - correct me if I'm wrong, but my initial impression is that the 4.2L I6 Vortech is more reliable than the 5.3L V8 LM4... Yes or no?

I would have to agree with the reliability statement from my experience, however both seem to be quite reliable. As far as fuel economy, I'm currently getting about 20mpg combined on my 300k+ mile 4.2 after doing a recent fuel system cleaning. I can't ask for any more from this thing, it's been so great to me so I'm glad you're looking into these :)

simmode1
08-24-2017, 10:03 AM
^^^Checked out some EXT Envoys. I really liked them, but they were tripping on those prices. $10k+ for 2003 to 2005 cars with 150k miles. I could kinda understand if they were loaded 5.3L EXTs... but nah these were just 4.2Ls... I might just have to stick with Pilot if I don't see prices I like. But then again, I'm not in a rush. Maybe I'll start checking out the local public auction houses.

Mikey213
11-28-2017, 06:00 PM
Just get an Offroad Xterra.(2ndgen) Throw away OEM Calsonic radiator and replace with CSF and you're good to go! I already got 220,000! and I beat the living $hit out of it!
Oh you said for kids N/M don't get it HAHAHA It's not exactly a comfort car. But it's a dirt beast for the price!

simmode1
11-29-2017, 07:32 AM
I'm pretty locked in on the GMC Envoy EXT SLs at this point.
Just gotta find a black one with decent mileage in my price range. No rush.
Plan to throw a modest lowering kit with replica Trailblazer SS wheels on it.