PDA

View Full Version : Noise from the back of the car

fiberwire
06-19-2017, 11:44 AM
Hi,

While driving on the freeway when I let the gas off I can hear a horrible loud and vibrating noise coming from the back of the car. As soon as I hit clutch it goes away. I release the clutch and the noise comes back. I step on the gas and the noise goes away.

Any ideas what could be wrong? The noise started after getting back my car from bush replacement...

ZaK687
06-19-2017, 12:37 PM
what kind of differential do you have? checked axles for wear? everything torqued down properly?

fiberwire
06-19-2017, 12:45 PM
Its the stock one. (Sorry forgot to mention, its an S13 sr20det). Well it was at the mechanic, I can only assume (and hope) that he torqued down everything properly..

Any ideas how to start ruling things out? Does the fact that there is no noise while driving at low speed mean anything?

ZaK687
06-19-2017, 01:09 PM
hmm, is your rear gutted at all on the inside? could be that your car is just resonating now that the subframe is solid. the fact that the sound is at high speed supports the idea that its resonating, check your driveshaft and diff mounts. Thats what I looked at first when I got vibrations from the rear.

Standard
06-20-2017, 11:04 PM
Check your u-joints and carrier bearing for excessive play

koukizhang
07-14-2017, 11:18 AM
If you have solid subframe bushings or differential bushings, it'll make that sound.

Jefro240
07-14-2017, 12:11 PM
Solid subframe bushings allow for the resonating frequency of the differential to be heard. But it is just noise. You should not have any vibration unless you have a drive shaft or axle shaft seizing up. ie, something out of balance. Unless a bearing in the diff is shot @ which point be careful because you do not want it blowing a part while driving.

fiberwire
07-14-2017, 12:41 PM
Solid subframe bushings allow for the resonating frequency of the differential to be heard. But it is just noise. You should not have any vibration unless you have a drive shaft or axle shaft seizing up. ie, something out of balance. Unless a bearing in the diff is shot @ which point be careful because you do not want it blowing a part while driving.

Exactly. If it was only noise I wouldnt mind. Its waaaay too much vibration. Above 100km I feel like the rear left wheel is going to come off. (at least that's where I believe it is coming from)

What the fuck could that f****cking mechanic have done wrong again :rant2::confused:

Jefro240
07-14-2017, 02:15 PM
Exactly. If it was only noise I wouldnt mind. Its waaaay too much vibration. Above 100km I feel like the rear left wheel is going to come off. (at least that's where I believe it is coming from)

What the fuck could that f****cking mechanic have done wrong again :rant2::confused:

Any impact marks on the rim or tire? Perhaps they took it for a joy ride. Slide into a curb & damaged the wheel bearing.

If you are sure its the left rear. Inspect the Wheel Bearing & Axle Shaft. Jack it up & turn it by hand etc & see if she grinds or makes any noise. Could have lost a wheel weight from the rim & now its out of balance.