PDA

View Full Version : Boring vs Fun Daily Driver?

FormulaDz92
05-26-2017, 12:10 PM
Hey guys and presumably some gals. My question to you all is given your vast car experience, is it better to have a fun daily driver which will cost more up front, cost more to maintain, require more maintenance and therefore take money away from my '89 S13 Hatch OR a boring daily and save money across the board and also make the Nissan feel more 'special'. What sort of dailys have you had? Did you regret any them?

Possible Fun Dailys: 2003-2006 WRX, Forester XT or Mazdaspeed 3

Possibly Boring Dailys: 2000-2007 Impreza/Forester/Legacy/Outback or Mazda3

Contributing Factors:

-Budget: 8k max
-Area: NYC's NJ Suburbs
-Past DDs: (all very slow) '98 Volvo 850 Wagon, '97 Mitsu Eclipse N/T, '05 Honda Civic EX Coupe, '89 Nissan 240sx, '94 Jeep Cherokee XJ (Current)
-Body Style: Anything easy to load unload Hatchback, Wagon, Small SUVs even small Pickups. Basically no sedans.
-Gas Milage: Just nothing worse than my lifted Jeep Cherokee's Measured 21 MPG average.
-Manual or die.
-Not RWD (all other cars in the family are RWD)
-Must be pre 2008. I don't want too much refinement... I don't like feeling isolated in the cabin.
-I like my XJ but will probably stay away from Trucks/Jeeps due to handling

Thanks!:)

*If there is another thread out there like this I apologize. I tried searching.

simmode1
05-26-2017, 01:39 PM
I feel that you can find a vehicle that challenges your definition of 'Fun' for a daily driver. In my case, I think a daily should give you all the utility you're going to need in everyday life. Support vehicle for your fun car, people mover, haul crap for DIY home/car projects, not completely bore you to death when you drive it. Something that will be perfectly fine stock or only lightly modded.

For $8k, I'd get a truck with fun potential like a lowered manual transmission 6 cylinder Frontier or Tacoma.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/c5/06/74/c5067403f5c59f6a45aca46e10b9384a.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dmsYiKa.jpg

I went with a lower budget and snagged a 5spd Honda Element. Surprisingly fun car with decent aftermarket support. (Not my car)
http://www.elementalmotorsports.com/system/images/BAhbB1sHOgZmIi0yMDEyLzAxLzMwLzE3XzAxXzU5XzUxMV9Bbm dsZWRmcm9udDIuanBnWwg6BnA6CnRodW1iIg02MDB4NjAwPg/Angledfront2.jpg

I really dig my Element. But I do have a number of trucks drawing my interest almost constantly.

Almighty So
05-26-2017, 02:01 PM
When I search for a daily driver I'm generally looking for comfortablity, reliability, and low maintenance costs.
Not saying daily drivers can't be fun, but it's not high on my check list.
Anyways, in my opinion, the whole reason for needing a daily driver is because you already have a car that's fun.
If you spread yourself too thin you either end up selling the original "fun" car or just sitting on two projects where neither can be built to your standards.

Future240
05-26-2017, 02:36 PM
Get a two door honda accord. Plenty of aftermarket and you can easily make it fun.

drift freaq
05-26-2017, 03:28 PM
Honestly Maxda 3's handle exceptionally well. The only rival to it in its class is its old sibling the Ford Focus. Which is actually a really fun daily as well. The manual gear box Focus is a dream to shift . The Auto's are good but suffer reputation wise from people's lack of understanding how a dual clutch car works and a manufacture grounding issues that is easily corrected. Once done the car is completely reliable and can be had cheaper than the Mazda due to the whole Japanese is better mindset. Which use to be true but of late is not completely.

Koukiii
05-26-2017, 03:50 PM
With that price range i'd get a boring reliable daily but thats coming from a guy who dailies a prius lol.

Do you want to wake up everyday and hope that your car will start and take you to work? I don't

exitspeed
05-26-2017, 04:55 PM
4th Gen Subaru Legacy Wagon GT 5MT.

Haha. JK. That's impossible.

Or go ahead and try and torture yourself.

spooled240
05-26-2017, 05:03 PM
I had a 5MT IS300 that was a great daily. The mileage kinda sucks(19/25ish) and they are pretty slow though.

KiLLeR2001
05-26-2017, 05:13 PM
Save enough money to get something that would suit your definition of "fun", for example, 06/07 WRX STi.

LoneStarSilvia
05-26-2017, 10:17 PM
E36 M3 sedan, 5MT ofcourse. Surprisingly affordable, and it doesn't go full on BMW in terms of maintenance costs.

Almighty So
05-26-2017, 11:50 PM
E36 M3 sedan

I wholeheartedly agree with this if it's within your budget. The only bimmer I've ever owned was terribly unreliable and quite expensive, but looked real cool in the process lol :o

JrDarknes
05-27-2017, 09:35 AM
I suggest 2000-2001 Audi A4

**My Opinions

-Leather Seats
-Heated Seats
-Sunroof
-AWD
-Turbo is optional engine
-Pretty fun to drive **
-Can look nice modified **
-Luxury Feel**
-Can be bought a reasonable price

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170527/363d58a31299e05e6b1a82ddee32b157.jpeg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170527/fd4edd2f17f2bf2d0c3a60c2601ef170.jpeg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

!Zar!
05-27-2017, 09:40 AM
Being as how you live in NY, you should probably get something AWD.

A Subaru is your best bet.

FormulaDz92
05-27-2017, 11:07 AM
Wow, it's great to see all the responses. I'll have to read through everything thoroughly when I get home but there is one main thing I'd like to add; I'm really looking primarily at hatchbacks, wagons and possibly small suvs as I want a car with a lift back of that style for ease of carrying mulch, snow boards, hockey gear etc. This pretty strongly rules out sedans. Thanks again for all the responses. I'll address them as much as I can later.

tb13
05-27-2017, 11:41 AM
I vote boring daily. I drive a 17 WRX as a daily and its a ton of fun, but I wish I would have just picked up a base hatch back so I could move shit around when necessary, save on insurance and keep out of trouble... I've also had an itch to modify it which isn't the greatest thing to do to your daily.

Save you money for a fun car that isn't you daily.

feito
05-27-2017, 12:57 PM
my rb'ed kouki makes the heck of a DD. Prior to upgrading my turbo I had the a/c working. Now it's just a matter of bridging a few wires on my new harness, just havent got to it.
Now it also has a rollbar, which makes the rear seats (full interior) useless.
Other than that, my kouki is a perfect DD. Love driving my car everyday. I look forward to it everyday when I wake up :-P
Fast, fun, comfortable (not slammed, hate that shit), plactical (plenty of space in trunk), this car can do it all! And whenever something's too big for it, I just get my f150...

RB25GUY
05-27-2017, 01:01 PM
Im in NY and my P10 neo VVL B14 SE lowered all year around and had no problem with snow at all, really depends on your tires.

All in all im in about 3800 with swap and the ad22vf calipers, full bolt ons blisten springs and kyb shocks, energy suspension bushing kit, jim wolfe ecu, msd window switch, Apexi WS2, Short throw, i know im missing a few things but made about 168whp, Gets 27 mpg if im not romping on it and 19-22mpg if im on it...

Super sleeper cops dont even look my way lol lost to a new gen civic with bolt ons by a fender. Gonna do N1 cams soon and a one piece header should get to 200whp but again its a DD so im not trying to dump money into it!

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15253525_10210299029290679_7339454617477414739_n.j pg?oh=72bd49a0a9efcef4d1aaa65f9ee364e6&oe=59E89B0D

spooled240
05-27-2017, 01:27 PM
Im in NY and my P10 neo VVL B14 SE lowered all year around and had no problem with snow at all, really depends on your tires.

All in all im in about 3800 with swap and the ad22vf calipers, full bolt ons blisten springs and kyb shocks, energy suspension bushing kit, jim wolfe ecu, msd window switch, Apexi WS2, Short throw, i know im missing a few things but made about 168whp, Gets 27 mpg if im not romping on it and 19-22mpg if im on it...

Super sleeper cops dont even look my way lol lost to a new gen civic with bolt ons by a fender. Gonna do N1 cams soon and a one piece header should get to 200whp but again its a DD so im not trying to dump money into it!

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15253525_10210299029290679_7339454617477414739_n.j pg?oh=72bd49a0a9efcef4d1aaa65f9ee364e6&oe=59E89B0D
+1 a properly built s14 can be a good daily. My ka-t s14 has full interior, a/c, heat, softer coils at a manageable ride height. Its fast, reliable and gets decent mileage. I take it to go snowboarding, get groceries and the track once in a while lol

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

!Zar!
05-27-2017, 08:02 PM
OP doesn't want an ancient car.

A newer awd wagon like a Subaru Legacy Turbo would be dope.

Almighty So
05-27-2017, 08:27 PM
P10 neo VVL B14 SE

This thing is radical :2f2f:

FormulaDz92
05-27-2017, 08:41 PM
All right, time to address some suggestions and questions.

simmode1 lowered trucks may be on the menu as they can be fun to drive, are cheap, make great support vehicles and can have 4 doors. 4WD would be preferred though as like I said I want to have something in the family that isn’t RWD. I like the pic of the frontier with the dirt bike. The element is also pretty cool but just isn’t my style. Are they fun to drive at all?

Almighty So I am leaning more towards this idea. Keep it cheap, simple, slow and functional.

Future240 I really want something that is easy to unload with a lift gate like a wagon, hatchback, not a sedan. I neglected to say that in my initial post.

drift freaq I do like the Mazda 3 and have also considered the focus and have heard very good things. When you say that Japanese cars used to be more reliable than US cars are you referring to GEN I Mazda 3’s?

Koukiii No I definitely do not want to wake up wondering that. I have a small bit of that with my Cherokee XJ right now but not too bad. I see your point though hence this post.

exitspeed 4th Gen Subaru LGT 5MT haha maybe. I’ve heard they shift like pigs though. My mom has a 2010 Impreza with 5MT and among the many things I hate about it is how it shifts.

spooled240 IS300... hmm Sedan or do those come in wagon too?

KiLLeR2001 I am a big saver overall but love to travel and my price range that I described in my first post take that all into account. It’s not a simple question of ‘save more’. An ’07-ish STI would set me back around $13,000 for a good one and they have exceptionally high insurance rates. Not to mention, it would be so much better than my mostly stock 240x track car is would be ridiculous haha.

LoneStarSilvia, E36 M3 is cool but is RWD and does not have the lift gate I am looking for. Additionally it’s front engine RWD layout is too similar to the S13 so I’d like more diversity.

JrDarknes Audi A4 while it is AWD and 4 door but, I’m not looking for that sedan body style and have heard that they are both expensive to maintain and reasonably unreliable. Correct me if I’ve been misinformed.

!Zar! I’ve had FWD open diff in 2 feet of snow and been fine however it is nicer and a bit more fun to have AWD, especially with around 50/50 power distribution and full time.

Thanks for all of the relies. I’ll try to address the rest later. I didn’t expect so much so fast. It seems like there’s a lot of people on each side of the issue.

BOROSUN
05-27-2017, 10:57 PM
ms3 with a thick rear swaybar.
or
super sleeper ms6 awd

same motor as the focus rs 2.3 ecoboost. not sure if has the same problem with cyl head bolt cracking on 1/2 cylinder.

mechanicalmoron
05-28-2017, 02:20 AM
I have an 88 rt4wd civic wagon.

It's fantastic. It can go places that many things with "jeep" badges mistakenly attached to them (at the factory) couldn't, it can carry a huge amount of stuff, it's got a very small outside footprint, it's a tallboy with excellent visibility, parts are plentiful and cheap, build quality is exceptional, work is easy, it never needs it anyway, it could take a cheap 2wd civic driveline if it had any issues with the basket case 4wd, it can take a longblock from a later d16, it spins more tires than your 240.

It's also about the world's slowest car. And it commands somewhat less respect than a yugo.

LoneStarSilvia
05-28-2017, 09:35 AM
If you're looking for a hatchback then, I'd suggest a 1st gen Mazda 3 hatchback with a manual, non-Mazdaspeed version. I have one and it's not powerful by any means but it does have very nice usable torque for daily driving. It has great steering feel for a very basic car. Low maintenance, great gas mileage, and still a nice aftermarket support out their for it.

FormulaDz92
05-28-2017, 09:59 AM
ms3 with a thick rear swaybar.
or
super sleeper ms6 awd

same motor as the focus rs 2.3 ecoboost. not sure if has the same problem with cyl head bolt cracking on 1/2 cylinder.

MS3 Gen 1 is nice and checks all of the boxes. I do worry about reliability though, mainly due to previous owners. AWD would also be nice but in a hatchback configuration.

I have an 88 rt4wd civic wagon.

It's fantastic. It can go places that many things with "jeep" badges mistakenly attached to them (at the factory) couldn't, it can carry a huge amount of stuff, it's got a very small outside footprint, it's a tallboy with excellent visibility, parts are plentiful and cheap, build quality is exceptional, work is easy, it never needs it anyway, it could take a cheap 2wd civic driveline if it had any issues with the basket case 4wd, it can take a longblock from a later d16, it spins more tires than your 240.

It's also about the world's slowest car. And it commands somewhat less respect than a yugo.

Sounds like an awesome daily but with a car that age I would always be worrying about reliability and corrosion. Not to mention finding one in nice condition wouldn't be easy.

If you're looking for a hatchback then, I'd suggest a 1st gen Mazda 3 hatchback with a manual, non-Mazdaspeed version. I have one and it's not powerful by any means but it does have very nice usable torque for daily driving. It has great steering feel for a very basic car. Low maintenance, great gas mileage, and still a nice aftermarket support out their for it.

That's good to hear. That's why I have it listed as a top contender. Is yours a 2.0L or 2.3L? Do you think there is that much of a difference between the two?

So far I like the idea of the Frontier, Mazda 3, MS3, Subaru Impreza/Forester and Legacy (but not GT) !Zar! is right I'm not looking for anything that old and the idea of driving a decent 240sx in the salty area I live in would kill me inside. I don't want to rust out another s chassis and I would always be wasting time trying to clean it. If I lived in the south it would be a different story.

drift freaq
05-28-2017, 02:39 PM
Earlier generations of the Mazda 3 had reliability as did the Fords they were sister cars. The thing is if your talking daily you are probably considering mileage and the previous gen 3 to the latest did not get nearly as good as mileage as current gen. Of course you can't get a Speed 3 now but if you really want that the Focus ST kicks butt and looks better. Lol

Though honestly if you are talking Hot hatch the king of the pile right now outside of the Focus RS is FiST aka Fiesta ST it's downright awesome in handling and feel and is not underpowered due to gobs of TQ 200ftlbs coming out of a rev happy 1.6.

It's rated above the Focus ST as well. Gets great mileage for a Turbo. Can be had with warranty even used used. There are Certified Pre Owned's floating around out there.

As for the person speaking up about the E36 M3 sedan they never came with SMT you have to put that trans in yourself and the conversion is not cheap unless you were trying to type out 5 speed manual.... Though with BMW SMT usually signifies the newer 6'spoed trans .

As for people talking about reliability of the M cars . I can speak personally about them. While they can be reliable that requires planned matinence. If you buy a car without the headgasket already done? You will replace it sooner or later. It does not come cheap either even if you do it yourself.
Do they drive great and are awesome? Yes, but the trade off is regular matinence and costs that come with it and that does cost more.
The myth that German cars are reliable to the point of saving money is just that a myth. Plus it will get ok gas mileage for a car of its stature but not fantastic.
City mileage actually bites on it. Freeway is about equal to 240sx mileage maybe a mile or 2 below.

In the end for what the OP is looking for it would not fit the bill in any way shape or form.

FormulaDz92
05-28-2017, 04:52 PM
drift freaq Yes if cost of any kind was no object I would get a Focus RS. Since 8k is my absolute ceiling then the RS along with the ST and Fiesta ST are out. There's no way they are that cheap even used.

future
05-28-2017, 05:51 PM
If they were not all beat I'd be in the market for a MSP 6

LoneStarSilvia
05-28-2017, 08:28 PM
That's good to hear. That's why I have it listed as a top contender. Is yours a 2.0L or 2.3L? Do you think there is that much of a difference between the two?

I've go the 2.3L. It's a 16hp and 18ft/lbs of difference. Not huge by any means, but it's a fairly compact and light car, so any difference would definitely help. I had no problems getting off the line and ahead of traffic, like I mentioned, the usable day-to-day torque is there. However making overtake on 2 lane roads does take some forward planning and momentum depending on the situation.

I'm actually selling mine (shameless plug), I'm downsizing from 3 vehicles to 2 in the household.

LoneStarSilvia
05-28-2017, 08:32 PM
As for the person speaking up about the E36 M3 sedan they never came with SMT you have to put that trans in yourself and the conversion is not cheap unless you were trying to type out 5 speed manual.... Though with BMW SMT usually signifies the newer 6'spoed trans .

If you're referring to me, I definitely put 5MT. And by SMT if you meant SMG, I would never recommend that ticking time bomb :eek:

FormulaDz92
05-28-2017, 09:26 PM
That's good to hear about the 2.3. My friend has the 2.0 but it's pretty beat and definitely wasn't maintained that well so it's not the best example what Mazda 3's are. I also had a chance to do the Skip Barber Racing School when I was 17 and I remember really loving the mazda 3's that we were all using. As of the Mazdaspeed 6 I would consider it if it were a hatch or wagon (I am aware there is a regular Mazda 6 Wagon).

BOROSUN
05-29-2017, 03:26 AM
drift freaq Yes if cost of any kind was no object I would get a Focus RS. Since 8k is my absolute ceiling then the RS along with the ST and Fiesta ST are out. There's no way they are that cheap even used.

focus rs owners are cracking blocks at the head bolt
x8ZxRn5K2IE

drift freaq
05-29-2017, 02:27 PM

Ah you did not state your financial ceiling. Here is my take on this. I own a 2012 Focus I picked up for $7250 with 33k on it. It is a daily driver and it's a blast to drive. It is actually a the dual clutch semi auto. Ya because of the grounding issue that is easily fixed the car has a black eye. People complaining about the trans.

I believe I already stated the simple ground issue fix that eliminates most if not all of the issues that people have been complaining about.
It's a no torque converter trans so it does actually behave like a clutch operated trans. I.e. Will go into neutral at stop lights might roll back slightly on a hill till you grab it with a light gas pedal tap.
This is disconcerting to the average driver who has never driven a manual trans car. Though to the ones who like to row our own it's not unusual in the action, only in the fact that so called automatic would behave this way in the first place.

Ya I picked it for the mileage. By the way the manual version shifts like a dream and is one of the nicest clutch and trans set ups of a modern car. The trans shifts smoother than most European cars and the clutch performs great.

I also have spent time behind wheel of the current gen Mazda 3 which came out in 2014. I would say the two cars are neck and neck in the handling department with a slight nod to the Mazda which has a little better handling at the expense of much more body roll. While the Focus has less body roll and slight less handling sharpeners.

Having said all that I can honestly say one would not get in a Focus and say it handles terriblyi. They don't they are a blast to drive and get awesome gas mileage. In my opinion I think a MS3 is going to be out of your budget as most owners selling then know what they have and ask accordingly price wise.

If you are going to pit a 2012 Focus and up against a pre 2014 3 the nod goes to the Focus for better handling and a car you can get into for a better price than a Mazda year and mileage wise.

People around here treat 3's like they are gold when it comes to selling them. Whereas the Focus can be had for a song thanks to all the bad press from the DCC quirkiness that can be easily treated.

Seriously at 8k or possibly a bit less, I you can get into a 2012 -2013 Focus with a manual trans and around 50-70k miles.

The Mazda from the same time period will cost most and it's not as nice a car. If you are talking 14 and up 3's they are a bit nicer than the Focus. Though I like the looks of the Focus better even with the rally type pre Aston Martin grill front.

Looks wise to me the Focus wins over the Mazda. Features wise it's a trade off depending on generation same with handling.

This is first hand experience with both cars, putting mileage on both.

If you're referring to me, I definitely put 5MT. And by SMT if you meant SMG, I would never recommend that ticking time bomb :eek:

Ah my bad I was tired when I typed that. It's all good and we agree about the trans not so much about the fail safe reliablility I could tell you all kinds of stories like the fact that BMW bolts there diffs up with 3 bolts instead of 4. One front two rear. Ya you can and do break the front diff mount bolt if you do any type of aggressive driving I.e. Drift and donuts type stuff lol.
Or about the way they put coolant hoses underneath the intake mani that are nearly impossible to replace without removing the intake mani. Did I mention it's fricken huge?
Or the plastic radiators that can and do blow up at a moments notice causing you to either stop immediately and get towed or risk immenient cooling system head gasket issues.
Or the plastic water pump ( breaks too) or the plastic thermostat housing. Oh and what about that infamous oil pump bolt that can back out and lunch your engine.
Ya fun cars amazing pieces of performance nowhere hear bullet proof as people would have you believe though.
Nissan hands then their ass in that department. Hell Ford does as well as most Japanese cars. Oh and ya modern Nissan is pretty Yawn. Lol

silverarrow27
05-30-2017, 12:14 AM
Hyundai Veloster Turbo is a fun car with great gas mileage. Throw on the Pierce Rear Torsion Brace with a new set of "stickier" tires and it's a fun little car. Visually though, it's an acquired taste from what I've noticed with majority of people.

simmode1
05-30-2017, 12:55 PM
All right, time to address some suggestions and questions.

simmode1 lowered trucks may be on the menu as they can be fun to drive, are cheap, make great support vehicles and can have 4 doors. 4WD would be preferred though as like I said I want to have something in the family that isn’t RWD. I like the pic of the frontier with the dirt bike. The element is also pretty cool but just isn’t my style. Are they fun to drive at all?
Well, Car and Driver called the Element "Surprisingly fun to drive". I'd be inclined to agree with that.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/honda-element-first-drive-review

But, to be honest, the appeal of the Element isn't about performance driving. It challenges what you mean by "fun" by being fun in other ways.
It's about filling a niche you didn't realize you needed filled. It's about giving you a lifestyle vehicle.
Something you can take camping. Something you can easily load your snowboards or whatever in...
Hell, you can even fit a damn motorcycle in it.
http://s3files.core77.com/blog/images/585285_81_61976_xGeytYiom.jpg

Look at this damn thing. Plastic lined floor makes it easy to keep cleam.
Perfect for pets. Easy as hell to access EVERYTHING. All seats fold all the way down and the rears fold out of the way or can be pulled completely.
http://s3files.core77.com/blog/images/585290_81_61976_pZNZ6LaKQ.jpg
http://s3files.core77.com/blog/images/585276_81_61976_o3PmymRn3.jpg

Some Element enthusiasts will quit a job, live out of their shit and travel the world in it... haha
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/H1j9HWEXQcA/maxresdefault.jpg

But you don't have to be all extra extra with it. They can be cheap AF.
I got my 5spd for $3500, but it was a little rough. But 4wd is also available.
It works well as a support vehicle or you could just make it look nice and chill.
(But disclaimer though: this one got like 263hp and mods out the ass...)
http://www.elementalmotorsports.com/system/images/BAhbB1sHOgZmIjgyMDEyLzAyLzAzLzE3XzQzXzU2XzE3NV9kYX J0aF9yYWlkZXJfZnJvbnRfc2lkZS5qcGdbCDoGcDoKdGh1bWIi DTYwMHg2MDA+/darth-raider-front-side.jpg

My favorite Element activities? Taking my family to the Drive-In with the rear clamshell all open. Picnics and camping at festivals. Roadtrips, parking it on the beach, loading the bikes up and hitting the trails, etc...

But if you're still single with no kids... you got plenty of room to roll a chick around in here...lol

FormulaDz92
06-01-2017, 06:56 AM
Ah you did not state your financial ceiling. Here is my take on this. I own a 2012 Focus I picked up for $7250 with 33k on it. It is a daily driver and it's a blast to drive. It is actually a the dual clutch semi auto. Ya because of the grounding issue that is easily fixed the car has a black eye. People complaining about the trans.

I believe I already stated the simple ground issue fix that eliminates most if not all of the issues that people have been complaining about.
It's a no torque converter trans so it does actually behave like a clutch operated trans. I.e. Will go into neutral at stop lights might roll back slightly on a hill till you grab it with a light gas pedal tap.
This is disconcerting to the average driver who has never driven a manual trans car. Though to the ones who like to row our own it's not unusual in the action, only in the fact that so called automatic would behave this way in the first place.

Ya I picked it for the mileage. By the way the manual version shifts like a dream and is one of the nicest clutch and trans set ups of a modern car. The trans shifts smoother than most European cars and the clutch performs great.

I also have spent time behind wheel of the current gen Mazda 3 which came out in 2014. I would say the two cars are neck and neck in the handling department with a slight nod to the Mazda which has a little better handling at the expense of much more body roll. While the Focus has less body roll and slight less handling sharpeners.

Having said all that I can honestly say one would not get in a Focus and say it handles terriblyi. They don't they are a blast to drive and get awesome gas mileage. In my opinion I think a MS3 is going to be out of your budget as most owners selling then know what they have and ask accordingly price wise.

If you are going to pit a 2012 Focus and up against a pre 2014 3 the nod goes to the Focus for better handling and a car you can get into for a better price than a Mazda year and mileage wise.

People around here treat 3's like they are gold when it comes to selling them. Whereas the Focus can be had for a song thanks to all the bad press from the DCC quirkiness that can be easily treated.

Seriously at 8k or possibly a bit less, I you can get into a 2012 -2013 Focus with a manual trans and around 50-70k miles.

The Mazda from the same time period will cost most and it's not as nice a car. If you are talking 14 and up 3's they are a bit nicer than the Focus. Though I like the looks of the Focus better even with the rally type pre Aston Martin grill front.

Looks wise to me the Focus wins over the Mazda. Features wise it's a trade off depending on generation same with handling.

This is first hand experience with both cars, putting mileage on both.

My financial ceiling / max budget can be found in my first post under "Other Considerations," but I may have added that after the fact. The older focus is now definitely on my list though. The E36 BMW for sure is not.

In response to the other comments the Hyundai Veloster Turbo is definitely way out of my budget although I do agree that it is a very nice can and I actually enjoy the look of the thing. The Honda Element also looks really cool and clearly has an amazing amount of versatility but I still can't see myself in one.

*When I say $8k is my max budget I mean that is the ablolute max I would pay for a fun/fast/premium car. If I were to stay with the slower side of things and get a N/A impreza, Focus, Mazda 3, Fiesta etc. I am looking at more of a $5k max since this option should be the one that allows me to spend the money saved on my 240sx (which is back on the road again :) )

spooled240
06-01-2017, 09:20 AM
spooled240 IS300... hmm Sedan or do those come in wagon too?

They did, but they only came in auto and they are pretty rare. They are called the sportcross is300.

collegekid
06-01-2017, 10:35 AM
Okie dookie

I have my 240sx and then my DD is a 2000 Impreza Rs coupe 5 speed. Stock besides suspension and clutch. I have a CEL on for maybe injectors but not 100% sure. I havent done shit besides oil changes so it could even be spark plugs or wires or a leaky hose or something (smells like fuel) It gets 22-24 combined mpg which is the same as my girls 2010 mazda 3 auto.

Pros of owning a fun dd
-Fun to drive
-my mpg is ok, slightly less than my moms 06 honda accord (4 cyl auto)
-Fuck it looks sexy
-Can eventually swap it ( I will as soon as I graduate and get a big boy job)

Cons
-Scared to get hit by some incompetent driver
-Car gets dinged no matter how far you park, someone actually went out of their way to hit my car and drove off (dented my fender)
-Every sporty/fun car has some kind of issue with it that you think about (like the Ej engines headgaskets)
-Being annoyed by douchebags who always bug you to buy your car and sometimes leave love letters on your windshield
-Parts are generally more expensive for sporty cars or hard to find
-You always worry about it getting stolen
-You will also most likely die if you are T boned

The others who have posted recommendations above are cool
-I like the Element because of its practicality, I'm really diggin the idea of a small v6 toyota or nissan truck. Getting a subaru wagon would serve you well but you have your XJ Cherokee. Are you going to get rid of that?

I'm personally against getting any fords. I just got back from a road trip with a friend in her 2016 Ford focus 4 cyl auto (not ecoboost) that she bought new, now has 11k miles on it.
Her windshield rubber stripping is coming off on both sides and you can see pollen/mold accumulating underneath, same with her trunk near the taillights. Interior-wise her headliner was half assed and her plastics were getting loose and one came off. Rear right strut was already clunking and the roads near her house are pretty nice. Engine did not seem smooth on power delivery when I drove (felt like turbo lag without the turbo) and it would constantly go up to 3-4000 rpm. We were on the highway so the gearing was something like 2000 rpm at 60 mph and 2750 rpm at 80mph. Gas mileage wasn't that great (compared to my moms honda driving the same) at 70 or 80 mph. This girl takes care of her shit and is not a dirtball or idiot driver. She actually knows to turn the car on and wait a little instead of flooring it like everyone else seems to do.

So my recommendations would be
-Get a boring daily as cheap as you can but still good quality. Don't spend all the money and not have anything left for repairs. 3-5000 should be enough.

-I'm gonna recommend a 2006 or 07 Honda accord sedan, 4 cylinder auto or manual.
My parents bought theirs new in August 05, Haven't done shit besides oil changes, spark plugs once, 2 batteries and a starter. Pretty sure its the same fucking radiator fluid from 12 years ago. You can also get a Camry or corolla/civic too.

I like the idea of a v6 truck, I would get auto but you do you booboo

FormulaDz92
06-01-2017, 11:53 AM
They did, but they only came in auto and they are pretty rare. They are called the sportcross is300.

Bummer about the auto.

Okie dookie

I have my 240sx and then my DD is a 2000 Impreza Rs coupe 5 speed. Stock besides suspension and clutch. I have a CEL on for maybe injectors but not 100% sure. I havent done shit besides oil changes so it could even be spark plugs or wires or a leaky hose or something (smells like fuel) It gets 22-24 combined mpg which is the same as my girls 2010 mazda 3 auto.

Pros of owning a fun dd
-Fun to drive
-my mpg is ok, slightly less than my moms 06 honda accord (4 cyl auto)
-Fuck it looks sexy
-Can eventually swap it ( I will as soon as I graduate and get a big boy job)

Enjoy your time before the big boy job. I graduated 1 year ago and got a big boy job right away and although school was rough it was nice to be more flexible with my time. 8:30-5 gets to be a drag.

Cons
-Scared to get hit by some incompetent driver
-Car gets dinged no matter how far you park, someone actually went out of their way to hit my car and drove off (dented my fender)
-Every sporty/fun car has some kind of issue with it that you think about (like the Ej engines headgaskets)
-Being annoyed by douchebags who always bug you to buy your car and sometimes leave love letters on your windshield
-Parts are generally more expensive for sporty cars or hard to find
-You always worry about it getting stolen
-You will also most likely die if you are T boned

The others who have posted recommendations above are cool
-I like the Element because of its practicality, I'm really diggin the idea of a small v6 toyota or nissan truck. Getting a subaru wagon would serve you well but you have your XJ Cherokee. Are you going to get rid of that?

My XJ gives me a ton of fear of getting T-boned. And yes I would be getting rid of the XJ for the new car. Once I fix a few odds and ends it should be worth 3-4 k. It runs very well and is 4.0L 4wd and a good model year.

I'm personally against getting any fords. I just got back from a road trip with a friend in her 2016 Ford focus 4 cyl auto (not ecoboost) that she bought new, now has 11k miles on it.
Her windshield rubber stripping is coming off on both sides and you can see pollen/mold accumulating underneath, same with her trunk near the taillights. Interior-wise her headliner was half assed and her plastics were getting loose and one came off. Rear right strut was already clunking and the roads near her house are pretty nice. Engine did not seem smooth on power delivery when I drove (felt like turbo lag without the turbo) and it would constantly go up to 3-4000 rpm. We were on the highway so the gearing was something like 2000 rpm at 60 mph and 2750 rpm at 80mph. Gas mileage wasn't that great (compared to my moms honda driving the same) at 70 or 80 mph. This girl takes care of her shit and is not a dirtball or idiot driver. She actually knows to turn the car on and wait a little instead of flooring it like everyone else seems to do.

Funny, my girl has a '17 Ecoboost Mustang with the same mileage and loves it to death. It's been super reliable we even roadtripped it down to Atlanta from NYC area and had zero complaints. Either you're unlucky or I'm lucky. I think drift freaq would argue your gf is unlucky.

-I'm gonna recommend a 2006 or 07 Honda accord sedan, 4 cylinder auto or manual.
My parents bought theirs new in August 05, Haven't done shit besides oil changes, spark plugs once, 2 batteries and a starter. Pretty sure its the same fucking radiator fluid from 12 years ago. You can also get a Camry or corolla/civic too.

I'm really against a sedan as I said in the first post as well as coupes due to not being able to load them very easily.

I like the idea of a v6 truck, I would get auto but you do you booboo

Auto? I'd sooner die hahaha. I've owned 5 cars so far and no autos. I'm not starting down that dark path now.

collegekid
06-02-2017, 07:00 AM
1.Enjoy your time before the big boy job.
2.My XJ gives me a ton of fear of getting T-boned.
3. I think drift freaq would argue your gf is unlucky.
4.I'm really against a sedan as I said in the first post as well as coupes due to not being able to load them very easily.
5.Auto? I'd sooner die hahaha. I've owned 5 cars so far and no autos. I'm not starting down that dark path now.

1. Thanks man, I start my internship Monday lol! Need money for car stuffs!
2. Holy shit, if you are scared in your jeep then I'm definitely fucked.
3. It was my gf's friend with the focus. We went from PA to TN. My gf has a Mazda 3 Hatch that she loves. I don't like it because of some electronic control unit in the glovebox that went bad and something with the trans control unit ($800 part covered under warranty,some recall, but thinking about the next time itll fail) Also electric steering makes me feel weird.
4. I knew I read that but I forgot to include a subaru wagon in my recommendations.
I'm actually looking to get into a 85-87 GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado or any old ass truck/SUV.
5. Driving auto is a snoozefest but it's more so my own desires coming out instead of telling you to buy it. I would rather avoid a column shifter on a dinky old truck, but you're getting something newer and with a floor shifter. Idk about your wife/Gf but maybe for a daily having auto would accommodate for her.

bardabe
06-02-2017, 11:17 AM
A boring daily will save you a ton of cash if it's reliable. I've been driving a 2015 sentra for two years now. it'll be three in September. I've had absolutely zero desire to mod this thing. it's too slow to get in trouble and over all a good gas saver. However i will not make this mistake ever again. i feel a little part of me die every time i drive that pile of crap. do yourself a favor and buy something you enjoy driving.

I used to have a GSR Integra i used to daily that thing was a fun driver, not sure honestly why i sold it and got into this sentra other than the AC not working and the typical B18 oil burning.... i miss it.

FormulaDz92
06-02-2017, 11:50 AM
SoCal and no AC? I can understand why you changed from the GSR. Here in NJ it getts pretty hot and humid in the summer too but I've skipped AC for the last 1.5 years and haven't minded too much. Sounds like based on your recommendation I should find something in between boring and fun/fast rather than staying on one side of the spectrum or the other.

drift freaq
06-02-2017, 04:29 PM
Indeed I will say college kids friend of a girlfriend either got a car made on Friday or does not maintain her stuff as much as you would like to believe. One can wash a car constantly and keep it clean looking but abuse it mechanically and trash an interior .

My 2012 Focus had 33k on it when I bought it and was religiously maintained by the previous owner. I've put 6k on it already with no problems and that's in 3 months. It drives like a new car, smells like a new car, looks like a new car. When I was looking for it I came across quite a few 100k plus Focus's still running fine and while they might have had a few more dings and dents or trashed interior they for all reasons where still going strong.
Seriously give me any car and I can return it broken and destroyed in short order if I abuse the hell out of it.
I have also seen supposedly reliable long term rental cars specifically Mazda 3's 2015 completely trashed at 50k due to hard driving abuse.
I have no faith in Collegekids second hand info based off a road trip as regardless of cosmetics he does not really know how that girl might have taken care of it.

Oh and the Focus and Fiestas are world cars and quite popular in the UK and Europe meaning they sell a lot and would have to be reliable.

KiLLeR2001
06-02-2017, 06:38 PM
Here is my suggestion:

Ford Explorer Police Interceptor. AWD with all the bells and whistles.

https://carfax-img.vast.com/carfax/-1823081509448624438/1/640x480

https://www.carfax.com/search#vdp=1FM5K8AR3DGA02541

"The PI Utility is available only in all-wheel drive and takes advantage of larger disc brakes, more advanced ABS and traction control systems, a more efficient cooling system and other standard police equipment."

FormulaDz92
06-03-2017, 09:51 PM
Here is my suggestion:

Ford Explorer Police Interceptor. AWD with all the bells and whistles.

https://carfax-img.vast.com/carfax/-1823081509448624438/1/640x480

https://www.carfax.com/search#vdp=1FM5K8AR3DGA02541

"The PI Utility is available only in all-wheel drive and takes advantage of larger disc brakes, more advanced ABS and traction control systems, a more efficient cooling system and other standard police equipment."

I appreciate the post/suggestion but it violates statute VI Section III of my Rules to Live By: Thou Shalt Not Diveith Automatic Under Pain of Death:2f2f:

KiLLeR2001
06-03-2017, 11:13 PM
I appreciate the post/suggestion but it violates statute VI Section III of my Rules to Live By: Thou Shalt Not Diveith Automatic Under Pain of Death:2f2f:

I use to be like you, swore off automatics till I die. As I write this post, I have never owned an automatic vehicle in my life. However, now that I'm older, I've come to the realization that I need at least one vehicle with an automatic. With that said, my next car purchase will be an automatic.

ps, it will also be extremely fun. :naughty:

Almighty So
06-03-2017, 11:39 PM
^ I still daily a 5-speed but my old auto Cressida was the shit and I see nothing wrong with automatic for a daily driver

FormulaDz92
06-05-2017, 02:17 PM
I use to be like you, swore off automatics till I die. As I write this post, I have never owned an automatic vehicle in my life. However, now that I'm older, I've come to the realization that I need at least one vehicle with an automatic. With that said, my next car purchase will be an automatic.

Yeah it's possible when I'm older and my circumstances change that I'll eventually daily an auto but right now I'm only 24 and I can't see any reason to. I never spend time in traffic and don't drive in the city almost ever so there's need.

lunchmeat
06-05-2017, 04:11 PM
I've got 14 years on you and was the same way long time ago. Now, if the car will be a daily, it'll be auto. Just makes dealing with traffic easier.
I'll keep a stick in the fun car.

drift freaq
06-06-2017, 02:12 PM
I've got 14 years on you and was the same way long time ago. Now, if the car will be a daily, it'll be auto. Just makes dealing with traffic easier.
I'll keep a stick in the fun car.

I can completely relate to this. Fun car stick daily stick or auto but auto does have some advantages.

KiLLeR2001
06-06-2017, 03:52 PM
Yeah it's possible when I'm older and my circumstances change that I'll eventually daily an auto but right now I'm only 24 and I can't see any reason to. I never spend time in traffic and don't drive in the city almost ever so there's need.

I'm only 29. I'm not trying to say I would daily an auto (I wouldn't). What I'm saying is that having an automatic vehicle as an option has its perks. 99% of the time I'm choosing manual.

lunchmeat
06-06-2017, 04:02 PM
The other reason I went auto daily was because I fucked up my left knee when I was a teenager. Years on down the road and it started giving me problems. Having to mess with the clutch in rush hour traffic played hell on it. Getting old just sucks out loud.

FormulaDz92
06-07-2017, 02:09 PM
I'm only 29. I'm not trying to say I would daily an auto (I wouldn't). What I'm saying is that having an automatic vehicle as an option has its perks. 99% of the time I'm choosing manual.

Oh haha my bad.

The other reason I went auto daily was because I fucked up my left knee when I was a teenager. Years on down the road and it started giving me problems. Having to mess with the clutch in rush hour traffic played hell on it. Getting old just sucks out loud.

Yeah my left leg plays up sometimes and its a pain to use a heavy clutch sometimes. Serves me right for playing hockey half my life. I don't think its about getting older, It's just results of having fun and being unlucky.

TheSnail
06-08-2017, 09:23 PM
My DD has changed drastically over the years. Being in ATL traffic, I have honed in on just driving my beater B3000 for the past 15 years. The toy cars are just for weekends having fun, such as this new one I picked up a few weeks ago.

I will say that it really depends on the commute. My previous commute was 3 miles and that car was an e92 m3. With 9.5 quarts of oil, I could drive to work and back before the oil temps would reach the point where I could push it. Driving it to work like a grandma... whats the point? I might as well drive the old B3000.

On the contrary, my new commute is 25miles. However it is 25miles of ATL traffic. That amounts to 2-3hrs of commuting a day. I just bought a new GTR, but have yet to drive it to work. Why should I? To roll 5mph hours on end in ATL traffic, mixed in with retarded people? Yeah no thanks. I'd rather drive the beater to work and have the toy for the weekend.

To answer your question, it really depends on where you live, and how far your commute is. If your commute is enjoyable, then get buy and drive the car that would bring you the most happiness. Otherwise, just drive a beater to work and enjoy the "side" car that you bought for enjoying.

My 2cents anyway

https://scontent-atl3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/18342293_944290981895_203640391381183031_n.jpg?oh= bd2927c1ff86e23deaa7770e21a358d7&oe=59E3C4E3

mechanicalmoron
06-08-2017, 11:24 PM

There's lots of vehicles that don't need to be, or shouldn't be, manual.

For example, most diesels should be manual, but 6.9 and 7.3 fords are an exception. IDI and PS both.

And, after some dozens or hundreds of thousands of miles of commuting, you really lose your desire to shift every damn time. And after working on and driving some cars, you realize it really all depends on a lot, and often doesn't even matter that much. After all, having a toy car is why you have a daily, right? For taking you places, because driving a toy places is sometimes miserable, even if you could manage.

FormulaDz92
06-09-2017, 11:00 AM
There's lots of vehicles that don't need to be, or shouldn't be, manual.

For example, most diesels should be manual, but 6.9 and 7.3 fords are an exception. IDI and PS both.

And, after some dozens or hundreds of thousands of miles of commuting, you really lose your desire to shift every damn time. And after working on and driving some cars, you realize it really all depends on a lot, and often doesn't even matter that much. After all, having a toy car is why you have a daily, right? For taking you places, because driving a toy places is sometimes miserable, even if you could manage.

True but I'm thinking of the times I come upon a perfect road and, instead of being is a car that I can enjoy it with I'm stuck in a wallowey lifted Cherokee or some automatic that is constantly shifting when I don't want it to. For that reason, and because I am lucky enough to commute without much traffic has pretty much made up my decision to get something that isn't necessarily fast but something that at least handles reasonably well and is fairly low to the ground. I'm fairly set on something in the neighborhood of a Focus/Fiesta/Impreza/Forester/Mazda3 i.e. subcompact, hatch/wagon that most likely isn't turbocharged unless the right WRX/XT/MS3 falls into my lap.

FormulaDz92
06-15-2017, 12:47 PM
My preferred car of the day is a 2004-07 ish Focus SVT. They're cheap, low miles and sound just the right amount of fun and speed for a daily driver.

simmode1
06-15-2017, 01:32 PM
My preferred car of the day is a 2004-07 ish Focus SVT. They're cheap, low miles and sound just the right amount of fun and speed for a daily driver.
Last i heard, an Ecoboost swap kit was being developed for it...

FormulaDz92
06-15-2017, 01:54 PM
Lol there's even a V8 swap kit I heard, but as my daily it would stay pretty stock. Just wheels tires and coil overs.

Check this out: https://southjersey.craigslist.org/cto/6172967476.html

Also this looks pretty mint: https://newjersey.craigslist.org/cto/6177881378.html

Bubbles
07-06-2017, 01:01 PM
When I search for a daily driver I'm generally looking for comfortablity, reliability, and low maintenance costs.
Not saying daily drivers can't be fun, but it's not high on my check list.
Anyways, in my opinion, the whole reason for needing a daily driver is because you already have a car that's fun.
If you spread yourself too thin you either end up selling the original "fun" car or just sitting on two projects where neither can be built to your standards.

Spot on.

I want to do things and go places, not be worried about scraping this, overheating that, kids leaning, haters scratching, etc....

One for fun and cruising, one for depending on and shutting off your brain.

spooled240
07-06-2017, 04:31 PM
Im about to park my s14 again after dailying it the past few months. It was fun, but I feel like its going to get hit, stolen, reffed and/or get thrashed going over all the steep driveways and speed bumps. Not to mention its been developing annoying suspension sounds lately.

Gonna pick up my dads 2014 chevy cruze. Auto, turbo and great mpg ftw.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

FormulaDz92
07-07-2017, 06:46 AM
The plan right now is an Impreza Wagon, Forester, Protege5, Mazda3, Focus or Fiesta in manual with hopefully 90k or less from the 2000-2008 era. Still working on the Jeep so it can be sold for 3-4k.

HyperTek
07-10-2017, 12:36 AM
i bought a (new at time) 2015 tundra 5.7 with trd off road package. never thought id be a truck person....

But its a clean ride, decently fast for what it is, and i dont have to really worry about theft like i would with a car...

Its nice having a daily that is nice, yet not have to worry about. just my opinion

FormulaDz92
08-19-2017, 08:28 PM
Well I figured I'd go and finally update this. Today I finally drove home a 2003 Ford Focus SVT and I'm pretty damn happy with my choice so far. It was previously owned by a very knowledgable ford tech who also runs a pretty serious drag racing team. He prepped the car for his daughter to use when she got her license but she ended up going with a different car so all of the work he put into making this thing safe got inherited by me. It has 138 k on it which is higher than what I was looking for but I know this guy has gone through the car top to bottom and it literally needs nothing. Additionally, it has ford racing wheels, new tires, Ford Racing/Magnaflow Exhaust and Ford Racing Suspension and 4 Spare wheels for the winter.

What I did wrong is that I bought this before selling my jeep haha so now there's 4 cars when there should be 3 in the driveway. Oh well