View Full Version : Bosch pump whining sound

owcarps13
05-03-2017, 04:53 PM
Hi to all,

I have a problem with Bosch 040 pump.
Setup:
Sr20det, ecu EMU, 370ccm, t28 ball bearing.

I replaced fuel pump (previous died) for Bosch 040. I put full tank and drive maybe 200miles and it start to whine like previous one. Right now I got 3/4 of fuel. After 10 minutes of driving whining becomes louder and car goes up to 3000rpm, after another 5 minutes 2000rpm is not possible so going from second to third gear is a dream. But when I let it rest for 5 min or so it starts to work propperly, but after 5 minutes whining and no power starts again.

Any ideas what is wrong? What to check?

anti tyler
05-03-2017, 05:47 PM
Have you opened the tank cover to confirm the level matches the gauge? Sounds like the float may be off or something. I'm not familiar with this specific pump.

Can you confirm the sound is coming from the fuel pump and not something else like the differential?

Can you use your phone to take a clip of the sound/issue? That may help.

Sileighty_85
05-03-2017, 07:12 PM
Did you replace the fuel sock? If not what color was it?

owcarps13
05-04-2017, 01:56 AM
@ anti tyler

100% noise is from pump. Fuel level is ok because gasket under tank cover was torn and gas was on top of tank due to little leak.

@sileighty

Fuel sock is oryginal I think. At least I did not change it.

c-los13
05-04-2017, 06:14 AM
I had the same issue
My fuel tank was filled with rust clogging the fuel sock therefore making the fuel pump work extra hard to pick up fuel
I had my fuel tank cleaned and coated. it still gets kinda loud but at least it runs like its supposed to
Im running walbro btw
Good luck

owcarps13
05-04-2017, 01:40 PM
I had the same issue
My fuel tank was filled with rust clogging the fuel sock therefore making the fuel pump work extra hard to pick up fuel
I had my fuel tank cleaned and coated. it still gets kinda loud but at least it runs like its supposed to
Im running walbro btw
Good luck

My 180 was build from scratch so tank was cleaned before it went on a car. However I will make some checks.

Little update. I have replaced fuel pump and fuel filter for new one. After 60 miles pump is whining again and no power. I have connected pump directly to battery same situation. When we put camera in to the tank pump is cover with petrol. We have removed fuel pressure regulator. Whining stoped but after 10 minutes of driving pump whines again and no power.

It seems that our ideas are out. Any tips guys?