PDA

View Full Version : Memory Steer Problem

patsajak
03-12-2017, 03:04 PM
So i'm getting some memory steer on the right side of my 89 s13. I have new FLCA buhings and ball joints, new rack bushings and fortune 500 coilovers with a few thousand miles on them. I tried lubing up the bushing on the upper coilover and got an alignment but im still getting the memory steer. Any ideas? it driving me crazy

Surffer227
03-14-2017, 05:48 AM
Rack bushings mabey, could be pulling the whole rack left or right while turning. I just ordered a set for my car because the front end was feeling real sloppy while sliding, but I would also feel a small amount of what your talking about while driving, we'll see if it helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apex128
03-14-2017, 11:49 AM
It could be the pillow ball bearing in the coilover mount. Do you hear or see the spring binding when turning at low speed / a stop? I'm in the process of replacing one of my pillow balls. I'll let you know if it fixes my memory steer. Also, make sure your toe is set correctly and that you have a proper alignment.

patsajak
03-14-2017, 12:40 PM
It could be the pillow ball bearing in the coilover mount. Do you hear or see the spring binding when turning at low speed / a stop? I'm in the process of replacing one of my pillow balls. I'll let you know if it fixes my memory steer. Also, make sure your toe is set correctly and that you have a proper alignment.

when moving no but when the front end us jacked up you can hear the right side --side with memory steer-- coilover make some noise

patsajak
03-14-2017, 03:32 PM
Rack bushings look good. Just greased the pillow balls and there's no difference

apex128
03-14-2017, 03:49 PM
Can you look to see if the coilover spring is binding when you turn the wheel? make sure there is tension on the suspension when you do this. So basically make sure the car is on the ground or you are lifting from the control arm. If it is binding, the pillow ball is probably bad. Greasing it will not help if it is completely seized.

patsajak
03-15-2017, 12:43 PM
Can you look to see if the coilover spring is binding when you turn the wheel? make sure there is tension on the suspension when you do this. So basically make sure the car is on the ground or you are lifting from the control arm. If it is binding, the pillow ball is probably bad. Greasing it will not help if it is completely seized.When turning the wheel with the car on the ground the coiliover assembly and springs all turned together without binding.

apex128
03-21-2017, 09:31 AM
Well I replaced my pillow ball yesterday and the issue is still there. Probably going to try greasing and doing rack bushings. Any luck with yours?

Surffer227
03-21-2017, 09:36 AM
Get under the car and have someone turn to full lock, if your rack is shifting then the bushings are bad, just checked mine and they where pretty bad, I'm doing lca bushings, rack bushings and changing my front subframe cause of a bent mount, I'll let you know how it feels after

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

apex128
04-24-2017, 07:51 AM
Just as an update incase this helps anyone: I put antiseize on my pillow ball bearings and now the issue only happens when it is cold outside. Even then it is much better now. Memory steer gone. I did arguable buy a 75$ pillow ball for no reason, but the coilovers did come with the car after all..
Moral of the story is grease the pillow ball bearings before buying new ones, they might not be bad.