PDA

View Full Version : Need Some Help With My S14!

Jake240
01-20-2017, 01:19 AM
Hey everyone, i have a 1997 240sx, recently purchased. For some reason the kid before me cut the passenger side headlight harness and did his own "relay" from the driver headlight to the passenger headlight. so the other day i installed HIDs and the passenger side wasnt turning on every time, so i got a real relay harness and installed it. Once the harness was grounded, the lights worked, but when i tried to start the car, i turned the key, nothing happened, then it blew my 30 amp ignition fuse, replaced it. tried again with a different ground spot, still happened. Then i completely removed the harness and grounded it in a different area and my 75 amp fuse blew randomly! has anyone ever had this problem before or is the car rigged to the point where i should sell it and pick up another one? i have offers, so selling it and finding one that isnt messed with isnt out of the question. opinions please.

summary, if i try grounding something to the front of the car, whether it be engine bay or just the radiator support,my 75 amp fuse blows, or my 30 amp fuse blows when i try starting it. thanks again for the help! :picardfp:

firejackal
01-20-2017, 01:49 AM
Your going to have to trace the wires. If the previous owner messed with the headlights, who knows what else he messed with.
But I'm guessing the reason why he did that was because the passenger wire was causing shorts.
I'm guessing a positive wire is touching a ground somewhere.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Jake240
01-20-2017, 01:53 AM
yeah most likely that could be it. im just sketched out because i know he also ate through some of the wire harness in the driver side wheel well and "his dad" repaired it and tucked it up higher so it wouldnt happen again, so im kinda scared to check and see what that looks like. car has no issues right now but who knows

firejackal
01-20-2017, 02:08 AM
When I got my s14 the previous owner had the headlights wired to a relay which also went to the radiator fan, which then went to a switch inside the car, which ran power through the switch (facepalm). And had the alternator wires switched, and kept blowing the radio fuse. Too me a while to fix all of that.

Since you mentioned the wires are tucked, I'm going to guess some have rubbed bare, so you probably should check that out. Wiring can be nightmare, get familiar with the fsm, it will help a lot.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Nissan2nr22
01-20-2017, 08:14 AM
Its pretty easy to find front end wires with a voltage meter and another person flipping switches inside the car. Start with that.

The reason why its not turning on is probably lack of voltage, bad ballast which could prob be from exposing it to water etc or bad wiring somewhere.

Jake240
01-20-2017, 02:04 PM
thanks for the help guys

s14fanboy
01-23-2017, 07:16 PM
yeah most likely that could be it. im just sketched out because i know he also ate through some of the wire harness in the driver side wheel well and "his dad" repaired it and tucked it up higher so it wouldnt happen again, so im kinda scared to check and see what that looks like. car has no issues right now but who knows

i've heard about this before last night in a video matter fact about how when you lower the 240sx you need to relocate the wire in the wheel well upper above the lip of the fender if not you can shred wires etc. check there. With wires you must take your time have a beer don't rush.