PDA

View Full Version : Trying a simple fuel pump wiring setup

Chrisw
01-19-2017, 02:58 PM
long story short... I tucked the wiring harness in the driver side front wheel well since it was rubbing with the new track rims. Now, when I take Right turns at speed, the chassis seems to twist just enough to short out my fuel pump. That's my best theory right now anyway.

In order to diagnose the problem 100 percent, I was going to run the following wire to see if it fixes the problem:

Battery --> Switch --> Fuse --> Fuel Pump --> Ground

Does that make sense or am I missing something? If that eliminates the problem I will rewire the car properly.

I know there are 5 wires running to the fuel tank. My understanding is that the 3 wire clip is only for the fuel guage, and the 2 wire clip is simply + and - for the pump.

Is that all right?

dbeiler
01-19-2017, 06:17 PM
I'm assuming you mean the fuel pump fuse is blowing. Pull the pump out of the tank and check the wiring. The idiot who wired mine a few years ago did a terrible job. After it started blowing the pump fuse, I pulled the pump out and saw uninsulated, parallel wire splices! WTF! Replacing the splices with insulated ones fixed the issue, obviously.

Chrisw
01-19-2017, 07:12 PM
I'm assuming you mean the fuel pump fuse is blowing. Pull the pump out of the tank and check the wiring. The idiot who wired mine a few years ago did a terrible job. After it started blowing the pump fuse, I pulled the pump out and saw uninsulated, parallel wire splices! WTF! Replacing the splices with insulated ones fixed the issue, obviously.

Sadly I don't.. and maybe I'm misdiagnosing it... Basically, when I'm heading into the corner, all is fine. During the corner the engine sputters and seems like it's getting no fuel... once I'm out of the corner it's back to normal. It only happens on Right turns. I think it might be pulling the wiring. Does that even make sense?

Fuse stays in good shape.

tgd89
01-19-2017, 08:24 PM
Full tank of gas and it'll do this?

Chrisw
01-19-2017, 08:27 PM
Yep. It feels and sounds like fuel starve, but the tank is full. Hence why I think it is the FP cutting out.

Nissan2nr22
01-20-2017, 08:00 AM
Start by taking the wheel off and sending us a lot of photos of what it looks like under there

Then we can diagnose this better

That harness does not flex unless its still rubbing on the tire when turning.