PDA

View Full Version : Importing a 19 year old japanese spec car

drewc
01-12-2017, 07:11 PM
I currently came in possession of a 1997 subaru impreza sti. It is rhd and Japanese spec. Does anyone have any information on legal ways of importing a Japanese spec car to america. I know there is the 25 year rule I keep hearing about. But considering this car is 19 years old I am more or less hoping there are other ways of doing this.

silverarrow27
01-12-2017, 08:57 PM
Keep it in storage for another 6 more years is my suggestion.

drewc
01-13-2017, 05:49 AM
I am wondering if I register the car as a race car and trailer it to storage would I run into problems with get the car legally titled ? I would refurbish the worn out parts and use it on the track until it was road legal.

Nissan2nr22
01-13-2017, 06:23 AM
Keep it in storage for another 6 more years is my suggestion.

that would matter youd still need deregistration/come in legally
car would have to be shipped back out then back in

onehundredoctane
01-13-2017, 08:09 AM
People. . . please do your research on these topics and stop clogging up forums. Geezus.

Has to be imported as a race car, or at least 25 years old, or a collector car of less than 500.

Otherwise it's not legal.

drewc
01-13-2017, 10:47 AM
I have been doing research. The only thing I have found is importing through a agency which you have purchased the car. I live overseas and already own the car but will be returning to america shortly. If I had found someone in my situation trust me, I would not be asking for advice. More importantly, I am looking for someone who has actually imported a car from germany. I know there are a few people on here with chasers and s15's.

Goofs
01-13-2017, 02:04 PM
There's no way of "legally" doing this. If you want my opinion if you really want to do this your best bet is to buy a clean titled USDM GC8 as a donor vehicle. Register that and use the tags on the STI, than pray no one catches on that you're driving an illegally imported vehicle.

I don't know how strict GA is with things like this, or emissions. That can also cause an issue. But either way unless the car is 25 years old every way you do this the car will be subject to being taken away from you.

spooled240
01-13-2017, 03:14 PM
If it were a 22B you may be able to being it over under a show and display title, but since your car isn't on this list then you have to wait 6 more years to be fed legal - end of story.

https://icsw.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig120115.pdf