PDA

View Full Version : Overhaulin....how dare you

rancid240
10-06-2004, 04:32 PM
They were finishing up a Ford Falcon last night, and decided it was too high.
So they preceeded to cut the springs.

I almost thought I was watching "Pimp My Ride" for a second.

ThatGuy
10-06-2004, 04:39 PM
That was a common practice with older cars like that. When was the last time Tein offered coilovers for a Ford Falcon. :rofl:

-E-
10-06-2004, 04:44 PM
I doubt he's ever gonna go AutoX

KoukiMonster
10-06-2004, 04:54 PM
They were finishing up a Ford Falcon last night, and decided it was too high.
So they preceeded to cut the springs.

I almost thought I was watching "Pimp My Ride" for a second.

your point is? i don't think its going to be doing any performance driving.

if it was on the european falcon then that would have been another story.

rancid240
10-06-2004, 05:02 PM
your point is? i don't think its going to be doing any performance driving.

if it was on the european falcon then that would have been another story.

How dare they!

rainier
10-06-2004, 05:05 PM
who cares if they cut the springs. they spent all that other money on everything else.

AKADriver
10-06-2004, 05:06 PM
Someone I know has been autocrossing since before some of us were born. He had a daily driver/mild custom early '60s Falcon, and he cut the springs by something like 4"... the car not only sat low but it actually handled better.

Cutting springs DOES increase the spring rate! Those cars have a lot of suspension travel to spare.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/cvetters3/falcon1.jpg

holisticbeatz
10-06-2004, 05:18 PM
I cut the springs on my S13... big effing deal~!

My next door neighbor put Euro lights on his Civic... big effing deal~!

Chip Foose cut the springs on a Ford Falcon... big effing deal~!

Get over it

the head
10-06-2004, 05:49 PM
it is not that big of a deal on straight rate springs i had to cut 1 and 1/2 turns out of my 67 mustang's springs due to and extremely high spring rate (850 lb/in) and a lighter motor than was meant to be used with said springs without doing that the car looked like there was no motor in it and now that it is all levled out the thing handles great

Chernobyl
10-06-2004, 09:22 PM
Cutting springs DOES increase the spring rate! Those cars have a lot of suspension travel to spare.

I'm glad someone here actually understands physics.

Nothing wrong with cutting springs. The practice just got a bad reputation from ricers overdoing it.

KoukiMonster
10-06-2004, 11:11 PM
I cut the springs on my S13... big effing deal~!

My next door neighbor put Euro lights on his Civic... big effing deal~!

Chip Foose cut the springs on a Ford Falcon... big effing deal~!

Get over it

yea~!

rancid240
10-06-2004, 11:33 PM
<----hides in dark cave

KoukiMonster
10-07-2004, 02:27 AM
and stay there~!

sykikchimp
10-07-2004, 09:44 AM
A cut spring is still a spring, but there can be other implications. It really depends on the application whether or not it will be beneficial or not. Cutting springs on your 240, and then running around on your soon to be blown oem struts is a bad idea. And doing the same to that Falcon could be a bad idea if the struts are not built to handle the lower shortened stroke, and possibly higher rate. Although the springs they cut looked like they may have been linear rate springs. In that case, rate would not have changed, but the lowered height could still cause problems if the suspension was to bottom out.

Of course I know nothing about Falcons, so I would leave the implications to the guys who built that beautiful car. They seem to know what they're doing.

S14DB
10-07-2004, 09:50 AM
They were Ford Racing springs. It's going to ride like crap anyways. May as well make it look good.