PDA

View Full Version : Is my vlsd toast?

BAR7MAN
12-20-2016, 05:38 PM
I just picked up a 91 180sx with super hicas two weeks ago. The car only has 78k miles on it. I did a burnout the other day and noticed only one black line from the left side tire.

I did some reading about the vlsd and what I've gathered is that the fluid needs to be hot enough in order for it to lock. I was driving the car around for like 10-15 minutes before hand (albeit I'm in NY and it's about 20 degrees fahrenheit).

I jacked up the rear the put the car in neutral and spun one of the wheels and watched the other. The other wheel did in fact turn the same direction, just slower. I then just jacked up one side and was able to spin the wheel but definitely needed to apply more force.

You guys think my vlsd is toast? Or something else? Would shimming it help? First s chassis car so bear with me.

Thanks!

e1_griego
12-20-2016, 05:59 PM
This is one of the most literate first posts I've seen on here, complete with punctuation AND correct spelling. Hooray!

It's probably toast. They're not great to begin with. Depending on what you want to do with the car you can either upgrade to an s15 helical or some sort of clutch type LSD. Or a welded :(.

BAR7MAN
12-20-2016, 06:08 PM
This is one of the most literate first posts I've seen on here, complete with punctuation AND correct spelling. Hooray!

It's probably toast. They're not great to begin with. Depending on what you want to do with the car you can either upgrade to an s15 helical or some sort of clutch type LSD. Or a welded :(.

Wanted to make a good first impression :naughty:

I'm not planning on racing or drifting the car. Just a fun weekend car.

e1_griego
12-20-2016, 06:18 PM
Even better.

Get an s15 helical and call it. Not good for drifting, great for a full-time street car.

BAR7MAN
12-20-2016, 06:23 PM
Even better.

Get an s15 helical and call it. Not good for drifting, great for a full-time street car.

Cool deal, I'm going to look into that. I'm going to do research on it, but off hand do you know if this is a pretty straight forward swap?

e1_griego
12-20-2016, 06:36 PM
Yes it is. Well documented on here.

Good tip: You can use google to search on here, just use "site:zilvia.net" at the end of your search string.

BAR7MAN
12-20-2016, 06:39 PM
Yes it is. Well documented on here.

Good tip: You can use google to search on here, just use "site:zilvia.net" at the end of your search string.

Got it, thank you!

feito
12-20-2016, 06:49 PM
Yeah, even thought I don't agree that this topic requires its own thread, it sure is refreshing to see a noob using proper grammar.
Ditch the diff and keep the grammar.

240KA
12-20-2016, 08:20 PM
hey e1_griego, since we're on the topic of s15 hlsd - i thought of something the other day: how/why are people buying/selling these s15 hlsd without the output shafts? have read multiple times that these things have a unique spline count, so i'm just curious as to what these people are doing with just the differential.

i guess maybe they already had an hlsd installed with the output shafts and it blew up on them so they're buying a replacement? but i've read that these things are pretty indestructible.

e1_griego
12-20-2016, 08:31 PM
Yeah, s15 output shafts are 30 spline and I'm pretty sure specific lengths, so basically if you don't have those it's junk.

jedi03
12-21-2016, 12:58 PM
shim it and it will lock great!

Future240
12-21-2016, 02:41 PM
Even better.

QFT.

I have one in my S14. Great street diff. No chatter, wheels lock just find. Like e1 said though, its not a drift diff. Not saying you cannot, just not what a torsen is for.

BAR7MAN
12-22-2016, 08:49 AM
QFT.

I have one in my S14. Great street diff. No chatter, wheels lock just find. Like e1 said though, its not a drift diff. Not saying you cannot, just not what a torsen is for.

Yeah this is my plan. This will be a street car so seems like the best option.