PDA

View Full Version : Sr20det fuel smell

LilRebel57
12-11-2016, 12:36 AM
When driving my s14 with an s13 SR in it I get a lot of fuel smell in the cockpit and outside the car. Almost to the point to where it's unbearable. Any help from anyone else who has had this problem to maybe help me find the source of this?

LilRebel57
12-13-2016, 02:58 PM
Nobody knows what it could be??

doc_octo
12-13-2016, 08:22 PM
its a fuel leak. not enough information to determine anything else.

jr_ss
12-14-2016, 05:44 AM
Did you remove the charcoal canister? If so, did you block off the hardline on the passenger frame rail?

CHiNo4ReaL
12-14-2016, 05:48 AM
Check the fuel filter hoses, one time mine bottom fuel hose started to leak!

Nissan2nr22
12-19-2016, 02:31 PM
99% of the times ive ran into fuel smells it was either the gask tank gasket or the gas tank leaking

If thats not it track down all your fuel lines and somewhere you will find a leak or cracked hose ready to light your car on fire

As for the charcoal canister line I thought it was supposed to vent in the atmosphere and not close it off ? I've always cut mine half way down the car and pointed it downwards to vent off

jedi03
12-20-2016, 07:52 AM
last time I had this was the fuel pump o-ring in the top of the fuel tank...theres lots of leak potential in the whole fuel system...look for dirt or fuel buildup an that's probably where it is

jr_ss
12-20-2016, 12:12 PM
99% of the times ive ran into fuel smells it was either the gask tank gasket or the gas tank leaking

If thats not it track down all your fuel lines and somewhere you will find a leak or cracked hose ready to light your car on fire

As for the charcoal canister line I thought it was supposed to vent in the atmosphere and not close it off ? I've always cut mine half way down the car and pointed it downwards to vent off

If I remember correctly, the S13 vent line has to remain vented to atmosphere because of the lack of an additional vent. However, on the S14, it has a vent in the filler neck, so the hardline to the front can be capped.

LoSt180
12-22-2016, 10:51 AM
S14s also have that problem where the fuel tank itself cracks. Do you smell gas when you fill it up? If so, check for leaks.

LilRebel57
12-22-2016, 06:23 PM
S14s also have that problem where the fuel tank itself cracks. Do you smell gas when you fill it up? If so, check for leaks.

The gas tank isn't cracked. I would see a puddle in my garage if it was. It's only when starting up and the first couple minutes of driving. Looking into the o ring on the pump and the charcoal canister after Christmas.

cbeuglas
12-22-2016, 06:43 PM
Gaskit for the fuel pump. Also I have had mine leaking at the fuel lines before. One can the line cracked the other time the clamps needed to be tightened.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

yes im a newb with a 240
12-28-2016, 04:36 PM
i had the same issue. replaced the fuel lines on the underside of the diff with new lines (they are just short lines from the hardlines to the top of the fuel pump assembly), replaced the O ring gasket on the fuel pimp assembly, and put actual legit thick ass weather strip for the cover itself.

but this was on an S13 with S13 SR and I had hella fuel fumes coming from the trunk. S14 should be same idea. but your info is kinda vague. you could have something horsed up in the engine bay obviously and the fuel is traveling back to underneath the cabin. check all the fuel shit you did when you did the swap is the only idea I got for ya if that doesn't work