PDA

View Full Version : How me design my drift tire setup! (I have odd wheel sizes)

Tjk2world
12-08-2016, 09:33 PM
I drive a KA-T and I want to start drifting.
I have four 17x7.5 (grey ones) sport comp wheels running tires:
215/45's
I have two 17x9.75 (black ones) xxr wheels running
255/40's

I have no idea whatthe offsets are but i have pictures included to try and give you guys an idea.

My plan is to daily the car and drift it here and there. I'm assuming i would run the wide rims in front and the skinny ones in back. Since i would have 4 skinny ones i could swap them out when i burn them.

Is this tire setup ideal? Should i change the tires (i have to stick to the wheels i have)?
Is there a more common tire I could use on the wide ones? Everywhere I talk to says the are a very uncommon size.
Should i change to 255/45 to match the back? 245/45? 245/40? Im lost when it comes to tire science. Thanks in advance.

Yes I searched, but i need someone to help me work with what i have.
Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/C75rU

zombiewolf513
12-09-2016, 12:20 AM
Just burn up cheap tires thatll fit on the rims for now youll figure out the rest as you go

I know it isnt the answer you wanted, but its the answer you clearly need

gaz_moose
12-09-2016, 08:07 AM
I would daily with a pair of 7.5's on the front and the 9.75's on the back and drift on the other pair of 7.5's just to give you better grip on the road

basically you want to drift with equal tyres all round or wider on the rear

having wider on the front and skinny rubbish tyres on the rear will give a poor handling car.you will just spin out a lot.

or do as you say drift on the 9.75's

I use 215 40's up front on a 9" rim and 225 45 on the back with 9 or 9.5" rims

If I was you I would look to getting some nicer wider front rims and use all your FWD spec 7.5's as drift rims.

bmaddock
12-09-2016, 08:45 AM
Tire science is a tricky topic. You need to determine the desired slip angle at all times during a drift to choose your tire size. First take the width of your wheels and convert to mm. Subtract 25% of the width and that will give your tire size. Your aspect ratio is found by calling each manufacturer and asking for the corning stiffness of each compound to control how much your car oversteers or understeers.

Good luck!

bmaddock
12-09-2016, 08:48 AM
..kidding. What zombiewolf said, don't think about it too much and drift on what you got. For your first event just play with tire pressures if anything.