PDA

View Full Version : book recommendations?

kingsol
10-05-2004, 04:07 PM
i was just wondering if you guys have recently read any interesting books that you would recommend. i'm finishing chuck palahniuk's books (which are great by the way) and i wanted to start on some more modern authors, or just any other really good book.

mrmephistopheles
10-05-2004, 04:20 PM
modern? dunno.. Palahnuik's stuff is the most modern stuff I read.
Stephen King is always a good read.. I'm into Asimov and Herbert. Crichton can write a good novel is he's not looking for a movie deal... there's too many great wordsmiths.

kingsol
10-05-2004, 04:38 PM
yeah, i haven't come across too many modern authors, and i guess palahnuik's stuff has got me interersted as to where modern authors are going with their writting. I love the old stuff. my favorites: flaubert, kafka, joyce, marx... yup, marx, but i'm interested in the more modern writers right now... but if you guys have a book that's just really dope, don't hold back

Heartwork
10-05-2004, 05:06 PM
REAL Ultimate Power: The OFFICIAL Ninja BOOK

Phlip
10-05-2004, 05:17 PM
http://www.zilvia.net/f/showthread.php?t=46082

pallamas
10-05-2004, 06:59 PM
David Sedaris:
"Barrel Fever"
"Me Talk pretty One Day"

cali240sxdrifter
10-05-2004, 09:54 PM
tom clancy books are always fun to read.

am going to BnN tomorrow to get a book on che guevara.

citizen
10-05-2004, 10:30 PM
anything by Neal Stephenson. You could try Snow Crash for starters or anything else for that matter because they are all awesome.

Andrew Bohan
10-05-2004, 10:55 PM
everyone should read "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn. changed my life

kazuo
10-05-2004, 11:35 PM
Palahunik is awesome of course. (Choke, Fight Club, etc etc)

Snow Crash (Stephenson) is a GREAT GREAT book... Dune (the Frank Herbert ones, not the crappy ones written by his son or some fanboy or whatever) is also a great series as well, worth the read.

Shibumi (By TREVANIAN.. my favourite-est book evar next to l'etranger)

Neuromancer (William Gibson) is also a good read...

THE STAND is a good book alas it is huge... that one's on you :P

THE STRANGER by Albert Camus is a MUST...

Also, in a non-fiction capacity, "GAME OVER" is a must read if you're a gamer.. its a great great book about Nintendo, the company, the employees, etc etc (mostly focuses on Arakawa and Howard Lincoln).

If you only look at one or two of my recommendations, I demand you read The Stranger and Shibumi...

Happy reading

kingsol
10-06-2004, 12:22 AM
cool, i'll check out most of those books, thanks. I've read a ton of Che books and for those of you that are interested check out www.che-lives.com and for those of you who want to learn more about Palahunik check out www.chuckpalahniuk.net. Albert Camus is cool too, but i find his philosophies a bit too inconsistent... but yeah, i can't wait to start some new books!

Drunk Bastard
10-06-2004, 03:34 AM
The Maltese Falcon. that and the Club Dumas. let me know how they turn out.....i gotta write a 5 page paper on each. FUN.

EvaPrototype
10-06-2004, 08:21 AM
"Breakfast of Champions" - Kurt Vonnegut - Great book, and you gotta love the illustrations. I thought it was better than Slaughterhouse Five & Hocus Pocus.

"The Catcher in the Rye" - JD Salinger - Funny how this one was banned in quite a few places!

"Support Your Local Wizard" - Diane Duane - I've never read any book that made me seriously wish magic was real...this one pisses you off that it's not.

"Hellburner" - C.J. Cherryh - Pretty cool sci-fi book about politics, space colonies, and secret projects.

"Arc Light" - Eric Harry??? - Great military novel about nuclear war and the military aspects and the politics of it.

Those top my list :)

crioten
10-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Palahunik is awesome of course. (Choke, Fight Club, etc etc)

Snow Crash (Stephenson) is a GREAT GREAT book...
Neuromancer (William Gibson) is also a good read...

THE STAND is a good book alas it is huge... that one's on you :P

strongly agree....

im reading cryptonomicon by stephenson right now, and so far its really badass...

my favorite author is iain m banks, he has amazing sci-fi and fiction novels....he will literally blow your mind (i suggest reading "the use of weapons"...my favorite book) only book ive read 20+ times

great authors:

timothy zahn, stephen baxter, alastair reynolds, jack chalker, carol berg, jeffery carver, the list goes on...

91rusty240sx
10-07-2004, 01:43 AM
Dragon Lance is a very good saga to get into if your into fantasy... especially when the authors are margaret weis and tracey hickman. Raistlin RULES!!!

citizen
10-07-2004, 01:49 PM
crioten you should start reading the Baroque cycle after you're done with cryptonomicon and recomend me your favorite book by iain m banks.

crioten
10-07-2004, 09:22 PM
i dunno, you should read it.....ill even buy it for you if you want me too lol

citizen
10-07-2004, 10:07 PM
im not one to turn down a free book lol, gimmah! please =)

nocomedown
10-07-2004, 10:24 PM
i want to read machiavelli. not now though. i dont think id remember! i drank too much of the vodka and beeeeeeeer!!! hahahahaha