PDA

View Full Version : SR20DET Help!!

z31andrew
12-01-2016, 02:59 PM
Hey Zilvia! So i am not new to the forums, been a long time lurker! I finally got my hands on another sr swapped 240sx, and i am loving it but of course there are a few quirks!:hsdance: lol

Specs:
1990 hatch
blacktop s13 sr
tomei poncams
2871 spec jb turbo
walbro 255
greddy catch can
type s style recirc bov
fmic
greddy intake
z32 maf
custom tune
off brand adjustable fpr (running about 50 psi)
550cc sard injectors

I have had some issues with idle/fuel, i have a wideband afr gauge i am going to be installing in the near future, which should help me track down that issue.

However, last night i was driving home from work, and my car started running like crap. As i came around a corner, i gassed out of it like anyone would do into a small amount of boost and right when it actually hit boost, it just sputtered and had no power at all. Just after, i tried to venture into boost slowly, and i was able to climb rpm's but if i got on the gas hard (big boost) it just sputtered again. I pulled over to do a quick inspection, and nothing seemed out of the ordinary, nothing was unplugged, i didn't see any loose couplers, no leaks or anything but i noticed a loud ticking noise. First thought it was an injector, sounds like the type of clicking an injector would make. Another thought, was maybe a valve hitting to valve cover? Or the timing chain? It still seems to drive okay in low rpm's, idle is rough however. Another thing i noticed after this went down, was that the fuel pump has not been priming the system prior to cranking, as it usually does (takes about 10 seconds before turning off and then i crank). Tonight i am going to check for boost leaks and vacuum leaks, and i am waiting on a vc gasket to come in before i pull the valve cover off this weekend to inspect. Also thinking about getting a new walbro fuel pump to replace mine. I am still chasing the idle problem, with it not staying at a consistent rpm, idling between 8-1400 rpm. Any other ideas on what this could be? Could i maybe be misfiring? What should i check? Is it okay to drive the car in the meantime out of boost completely? Does it sound like a fuel issue? Just looking to get some more expert insight, this car is my daily driver i need to figure this out quick!

jedi03
12-01-2016, 03:28 PM
could be rocker arm jump for the ticking or injector...the sputtering probably boost leak or spark plug not firing correctly...check spark plugs and also swap ignitor position to see if noise moves

z31andrew
12-01-2016, 04:01 PM
I will be checking under the valve cover this weekend, and will check for boost leaks & plugs tonight for sure. What exactly do you mean by switching the ignitor position? Like switch coil packs to different plugs?

Karlhammer
12-01-2016, 08:08 PM
Try cleaning the maf too.

z31andrew
12-01-2016, 09:45 PM
First thing i did was clean the maf, no difference.ijust changed all spark plugs, gapped them to .27, no change.. i looked for immediate leaks but did not see any..

zylvia213
12-01-2016, 10:27 PM
swap the maf with another one. I had this problem on my redtop. Symptoms sound very similar. Also check all the plugs/connectors look for corrosion. GL

97SerevoSX
12-02-2016, 07:27 AM
You might check your igniter. Could also be bad gas or injector.

Nissan2nr22
12-02-2016, 09:02 AM
Just check ALL the couplers carefully, flex them, use some strenght and see if they are loose

I had this issue once and all my couplers were bolted down right, but one coupler was opening up under boost, it was some kind of isis manufacturing defect in the coupler/clamp cause it was flexing and i could feel the vaccum leak with my hands when i changed the coupler and clamps to a new one everything was ok

if thats not it it really sounds timing/fuel related honestly

z31andrew
12-02-2016, 03:01 PM
trying to find a Z32 maf in socal right now sucks! I work at a store where all we sell are parts for Z's but of course we have none in stock -_- Any one know where i could score a z31 maf in Orange county area?? I will bring beer!

z31andrew
12-03-2016, 03:52 PM
Found the issue! Weird really, my car is running solid motor mounts, so it vibrates like crazy. The chip actually vibrated itself out of the ecu! So i opened the ecu up just to check and be sure, sure enough the rom for my tune was pushed up and was not connected. I now have insulated my ecu from vibration, hopefully doesnt happen again!