PDA

View Full Version : Low oil = bad

Trap Star
11-17-2016, 01:43 AM
2003 350z

Yea, pretty obvious right? I knew better but got lazy and let a leak go unfixed for a while. Dropped the oil pan to replace the gasket (finally...) and found a decent bit of copper. Fun. Anyway, I've been told its likely my bearings. I'll be towing it up to my current home in order to fix this shit on sunday. I have two uncles coming into town for thanksgiving who are very experienced mechanics but not really familiar with Nissans and not going to be here for that long meaning time is of the essence. So my question is what should I be looking for in replacement bearings and is there anything specific to the VQ35DE that we should be looking for during teardown? I haven't ordered bearings yet, or even pulled the motor, but I need suggestions on whether to go OEM or aftermarket, sizing, etc as well seeing as I really need to order things on Monday.

All help is appreciated, especially since its killing me that I'm surrounded by the great mountain roads of North Carolina and driving a Wrangler instead of my Z. Seriously, the rollover risk, and the fact a 4.0L 6cyl makes like half the horsepower of a VQ, is literally killing me.

Actually, now that I think about it the woods around here are on fire too so maybe I've just gone to lack-of-Nissan hell?

Trap Star
12-13-2016, 07:35 PM
Motor is out, main bearing 3 is shot and I'm probably going to be needing some machine work done due to grooves in the crank and shit. Unfortunately my work has come to a halt before I could get anything else removed since I fell and thoroughly fucked my right wrist...again. I think this is number 4 or 5 for my right one. Anyway, here's a couple of pictures and as usual I'd appreciate any tips/advice.

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u292/baconbitz99x/Busted%20Ass%20S4%20Backup%20426_zps4meknyk8.jpg

http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u292/baconbitz99x/Busted%20Ass%20S4%20Backup%20429_zpsiz6h2etg.jpg

Still possible I'll find more damage as I continue but literally everything looks brand new other than this. Couldn't even see this damage until I removed the main caps.

jr_ss
12-19-2016, 07:02 AM
Of course you couldn't see that damage until the main cap was removed, it's on the face of the bearing/journal. You might as well tear it all the way down and have high comp pistons and cams thrown in it. The block oil galleys will need to be thoroughly cleaned.

librilz32
12-29-2016, 04:41 PM
That really sucks, sorry to hear man.