PDA

View Full Version : Video/Computer gurus/nerds (Micro SD card Help!)

BlackZenkiS14
10-13-2016, 08:52 PM
So my rear tire let go at Street Driven Tour this summer, taking my GoPro with it, at about 105mph wheel speed, and about largest piece I found of it was the memory card....mostly in tact. Problem is I cant get anything to recognize the card and transfer files. Have a bunch of family video, and a few hours of some of the best tandem I've ever run in my life from some rad new camera angles. Would really like to get this opened and files transferred from it. Card appears to be cracked at the seam in the back for the thumb groove, but not all the way through, and if you look at one of these dissected, that's not a part of where the memory lives...I think.:picardfp:

Have any of you dudes dealt with this before? Help?

http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p5pb14045844/p5pb14045844.jpg

lunchmeat
10-13-2016, 09:18 PM
Hate to tell you, but if multiple devices can't read it, it's done. A disaster recovery service might be able to salvage something.....might.....for a price.

BlackZenkiS14
10-13-2016, 09:38 PM
Right, that's kinda where I'm at. I'm trying to see if anyone has had experience with that kind of service, has reccomendations, or can give me an idea of what to expect

lunchmeat
10-13-2016, 09:47 PM
Can't help you there. Everywhere I've worked, it's been the infosec dept taking care of that, and I wasn't high enough on the ladder to be involved in that.
Good luck though.

rawgarage
10-13-2016, 10:00 PM
Some one might offer the services on ebay

KAT-PWR
10-13-2016, 10:03 PM
Did this card also contain information about Hillary Clinton?

Malik
10-13-2016, 10:58 PM
the crack looks pretty serious, i dont think you can recover that.

unless you send it to a data loss company but like someone said above, that costs a pretty penny.

Hoffman5982
10-14-2016, 12:50 AM
Did you turn the GoPro off and turn it back on?

heychris
10-14-2016, 02:17 AM
Other than what those right on point 2 other dudes said you might try sliding it into an Android phone micro SD slot...if it'll read you can then hook the phone up to a cpu to transfer the files

Good luck OP..let us know how it turned out

Ch

sent from knee deep in snow

lunchmeat
10-14-2016, 02:39 AM
Maybe hold it down to close the crack, then use tape to hold it together. Maybe any broken connections will touch and let you transfer data. SWAG(scientific wild ass guess) at this point. And not a bad idea about the android phone. Use one that has the hold down clip, not the spring loaded slot type.

EnemyS15
10-14-2016, 08:24 AM
Could you take a pic of the other side? See how it looks on that as well. I have a friend that does data security, shredding, & recovery. I could show him this and see if he thinks he could salvage anything from it. If he says anything that could help you, we can go from there.

BlackZenkiS14
10-14-2016, 09:15 AM
Could you take a pic of the other side? See how it looks on that as well. I have a friend that does data security, shredding, & recovery. I could show him this and see if he thinks he could salvage anything from it. If he says anything that could help you, we can go from there.

Awesome, thank you. I'll put a pic up later today! Thanks!

hellaslows13
10-14-2016, 03:53 PM
I second trying to tape up the card as best as possible and try to get the contacts to touch.

cotbu
10-21-2016, 07:33 PM
There's small circuitry running along that part of the chip, a crack there make it unusable. Can data be extracted yes probably, maybe not all, but it will be expensive. Smash construction first, fit all the pieces together tightly and perfectly, then smash the chip back together. The real data extraction come from the dots, and if they are intact, data can be transferred usually. It's a delicate process that's why it's expensive. I've only done 2 and the cards weren't that fucked up.

BlackZenkiS14
10-21-2016, 09:42 PM
There's small circuitry running along that part of the chip, a crack there make it unusable. Can data be extracted yes probably, maybe not all, but it will be expensive. Smash construction first, fit all the pieces together tightly and perfectly, then smash the chip back together. The real data extraction come from the dots, and if they are intact, data can be transferred usually. It's a delicate process that's why it's expensive. I've only done 2 and the cards weren't that fucked up.

Well, you wanna take a crack at it?

cotbu
10-21-2016, 10:00 PM
I was debating it, but naw it would eat me up if it didn't work the first couple of times and it would become life.

BlackZenkiS14
10-22-2016, 09:01 PM
I was debating it, but naw it would eat me up if it didn't work the first couple of times and it would become life.

If you were successful, I'd be willing to pay, but no idea what you would want for it. Or what you think the liklihood of being successful is.