PDA

View Full Version : 2016/2017 NBA Season Thread

Goofs
10-10-2016, 02:49 PM
Let's keep the streak going of popping up a new thread for every season!

We've definitely had an interesting off-season with KD heading to the Warriors, as well as other shake ups such as Wade getting shafted by Miami and leaving for Chicago!

This year should be an entertaining one with so many young players developing. (D.Russel, KAT, Turner, Porzingis, Jabari, and the 2016 rookie class) Sadly Ben Simmons might miss a nice chunk of time with his foot injury.

Teams that I think will have a good year:
1. Celtics
2. Nuggets
3. Knicks

Teams that I think will drop off:
1. Heat
2. Memphis
3. Thunder

Players that should have a good year:
1. Harden
2. Westbrook
3. KAT

BOROSUN
10-10-2016, 03:14 PM
I'm ready.
go knicks.

so excited what our bench can do.
kuzminskas
randle
hemangomez
ndour
sasha

MJenkins1101
10-10-2016, 04:11 PM
I'm anxious for this year. I don't think excited is the right word, for me. It's going to be the first year that I will watch without seeing #21. When I was young we didn't watch sports, so this is going to be a major adjustment. I am excited about some of the growth of our young guys, and new acquisitions, but change is always.

BOROSUN
10-23-2016, 02:03 AM
smh knicks waives randle. idiots.

BOROSUN
10-25-2016, 08:17 PM
another embarrassing nationwide broadcast game.

Goofs
10-26-2016, 10:31 AM
another embarrassing nationwide broadcast game.

To be fair, LeBron wasn't going to lose on ring night.

I think you guys will be fine, should get into the playoffs at least.

Nice seeing the Warriors lose by 30 as well.

Phlip
10-27-2016, 07:22 AM
Lakers in rebuilding mode, off to a 1-0 start. We're about to go 82-0!

DrtyRat
10-28-2016, 03:27 AM
LOL-Heat fans are saying the same thing.

greddy2die
10-28-2016, 07:06 AM
Dwayne Curry last night... damn lol

I know it's not going to be a normal thing for him but geez.

Phlip
10-28-2016, 07:57 AM
LOL-Heat fans are saying the same thing.

I know a Heat fan who is saying that. I laughed at him.
FTR, I am aware that the Lakers will miss the playoffs.

DrtyRat
10-28-2016, 08:27 PM
I know a Heat fan who is saying that. I laughed at him.
FTR, I am aware that the Lakers will miss the playoffs.

Heat fans are also aware that we won't make it 😭 #bigthree

BOROSUN
10-28-2016, 09:04 PM
Man, okc vs phx was a great game. Westbrook is the goat

BOROSUN
10-30-2016, 07:38 PM
dayum, westbrook on a mission.

mission: destroy the evil organization !

BOROSUN
11-02-2016, 08:38 PM
1-3
yo ,coach

FkJQR95RJxI

today, scored 6pts w/ 5mins wtf.

bring back randle. drop vujacic. I swear if the knicks had drafted curry. they would have sent him to the D leagues. fucking retards.

ZenkiKid
11-03-2016, 06:32 AM

I call .500 at most. This is coming from a Laker fan too.

Win or lose this new young roster is fun to watch. Im just glad that Nick Young is proving to everybody that Byron Scott didnt give him a fair shake. Dudes playing as good as he was back in 2013 when he was the best player we had.

enkei2k
11-03-2016, 09:08 PM
GSW vs OKC right now....Russ is ridiculous to start this season, MVP if he keeps it up.

rawgarage
11-04-2016, 12:21 AM
Russ pregame outfit was too funny

Phlip
11-04-2016, 12:35 PM
I call .500 at most. This is coming from a Laker fan too.

Not even that good, homie. 30 wins should be seen as an AMAZING season right now.

enkei2k
11-05-2016, 09:34 AM
Not even that good, homie. 30 wins should be seen as an AMAZING season right now.

but Lakers just beat the Warriors and held Curry to 0-10 in 3 point attempts.

And is it just me, or did the NBA schedule it so that OKC have a higher chance of losing to GSW? Conspiracy theories...

OKC played LAC the night before (playoff intensity) and then GSW in the second game of a back to back...not a lot of rest.

GSW played OKC with a rest day in between...and what happens to GSW on the second game of a back to back? They in turn get blown out by the Lakers.

Phlip
11-07-2016, 01:37 PM
4-3, look out NBA! The Lakers are BACK!!!

(totally bullshitting, the collapse is coming)

ZenkiKid
11-13-2016, 07:28 PM
Lakers about to lose by about 20 to the wolves thanks to the refs timberwolves had 42 FTA's tonight.

Officiating overall has to be the worst so far this season.

Malik
11-14-2016, 12:08 AM
Go Knicks,.. im expecting an above average season, but we havent started out so hot

Goofs
11-21-2016, 12:31 PM
Man people are really freaking out about this T.Ross waived off GW.

Personally I don't think he would've got it off in time if the clock started at the correct time; however they definitely shouldn't have penalized the Raptors for it. Should've let them play it out in OT

Riq
12-04-2016, 04:24 PM
Heat fans are also aware that we won't make it �� #bigthree

Sadly I don't see the Heat winning over 30 games this season. For every good offensive play they make, there are 2-3 bad turnover/ wannabe Hero ball mistakes to shoot themselves in the foot. Last night was a winnable game until Dragic tried to channel his inner D-Wade clutch game.... He failed.... Badly :picardfp:

However, I will say this season has been fun to watch so far. Lots of potential on the Heat's roster, they just need their basketball IQ raised by a few notches (except for Dion Waiters... he will always make dumb plays). Hopefully that will come with time.

greddy2die
12-05-2016, 11:16 AM
I havent been able to watch as much basketball this year as I would like. Too much adulting lately. It's quite upsetting as it's my favorite sport to watch, grrrr.

BOROSUN
12-27-2016, 12:47 AM
warriors fans got to be the mostly salty fans ever.

ZenkiKid
12-27-2016, 08:57 AM
Kyrie to golden state is what Kobe was to toronto. He gets them almost every time.

BOROSUN
01-29-2017, 11:08 PM
I want nate robinson back to the knicks. if they want to trade melo for nothing.

Goofs
01-31-2017, 09:18 AM
Was in Denver over the weekend and saw the Nuggets play.

Jokic was a beast, should be the next Marc Gasol

BOROSUN
02-19-2017, 05:43 PM
the chOkeland chronicles saga continues.

http://ww2.hdnux.com/photos/57/25/26/12408229/3/920x920.jpg

Phlip
02-20-2017, 06:44 AM
Boogie Cousins to the Pelicans
Cousins and Davis together could spell DANGER in the Western Conference

Dutchmalmiss
02-21-2017, 11:40 AM
Jim Buss and Mitch Kupchak fired.

Magic is now Pres of Operations for the Lakers.

Trade deadline in 2 days. Anything can happen now haha.

Phlip
02-21-2017, 11:43 AM
Yo, this is crazy...
I thought Jim would last at least to the end of the season.

Phlip
03-02-2017, 10:56 AM
New Orleans is 1-3 in the Boogie/Brow era. they're gonna need to learn to use them together and tie together an impressive win streak if they want to call this experiment a success, because I am pretty sure Cousins will move on to greener pastures of they don't at least have the playoffs in view soon.

Phlip
04-18-2017, 01:38 PM
Nothing new under the sun, looks like we're gonna have Cleveland against either Golden State or San Antonio again.

ZenkiKid
04-18-2017, 03:31 PM
Agreed.

My only other prediction is that the Clippers wont make it past the Jazz. One of my Bosses thinks that Doc Rivers is done for after this season. I think the whole team is done for since anybody relevant has a player option.

Phlip
05-11-2017, 05:54 AM
These playoffs are painfully boring.
I have decided to take up working out again and basically just fucking avoiding them. I have not watched but two games yet.

Phlip
05-17-2017, 08:05 AM
The draft lottery is fucking rigged.
The craziest scenario would be the Celtics, Lakers and Sixers at 123
Celtics being the #1 seed and the Lakers ONLY losing their pick to the Sixers if it fell outside of the top 3...

... and it fucking happens.

ZenkiKid
05-17-2017, 10:10 AM
Embiid was hilarious throughout that whole thing. He had no idea what was going on up until he realized they got number 3.

Phlip
05-23-2017, 07:10 AM
All this talk of “The Warriors are the first team to enter the finals with a perfect 12-0 record.”
This neglects the fact that the first round changed from best-of-5 to best-of-7 in 2003. Those of us who were paying attention remember the 2000-01 Lakers sweeping through Portland, Sacramento and San Antonio (the last time this actually happened to Popovich, for the record). The most any team COULD have won in the first three rounds before 2003 was 11 games. Crown them as only the second team to sweep the first three rounds, but don’t do like ESPN does LeBron and pull obscure bullshit out of the air and call it a “record.”
Yes, this is to discount what they have done against two creampuffs and a San Antonio team without its best player.

Goofs
05-23-2017, 05:00 PM
I really enjoyed the regular season, but these playoffs have been a huge disappointment.

Warriors have faced 0 adversity and are going in to the Finals as high favorites, just as expected.

The two MVP favorites have had terrible Playoff showings.

Very few competitive series's, only one's I can think of are Utah/Clippers and Wizards/Celtics.

Speaking of Wiz/C's, the Wizards completely blew that which is a shame cause I am a huge Wall fan.

Overall, just hoping for a great final. If the Cavs can somehow manage to win again than LeBron has a real case for GOAT. Also would love for JR to get another ring.

Phlip
05-24-2017, 06:02 AM
I am having a hard time fathoming why Boston didn't at least TRY to put fouls 5 & 6 on LeBron, what with a whole second half to do it.
I have a hard time understanding WHY the fuck they kept shooting jumpers and missing while still ahead in the game.
I REALLY wish I could hear what the call from the league to the game officials to discuss LeBron's first half foul trouble sounded like.

BOROSUN
05-25-2017, 09:20 PM
grats on bron. The GOAT.

time to make the bay area rain with tears again.

Phlip
06-02-2017, 07:08 AM
Was it rust?
Was the Warriors D really that good?
Why in the FUCK were the Cavaliers defenders running out of KD's way on the way to all those dunks?
(note, I know the answer to this one... it is still stupid considering that closing out on shooters on a team of shooters leaves an uncontested lane and higher percentage shot)
We're getting the finals matchup we expected, but we were not expecting blowouts of the best player in the universe.

RB25GUY
06-02-2017, 09:50 AM
Was it rust?
Was the Warriors D really that good?
Why in the FUCK were the Cavaliers defenders running out of KD's way on the way to all those dunks?
(note, I know the answer to this one... it is still stupid considering that closing out on shooters on a team of shooters leaves an uncontested lane and higher percentage shot)
We're getting the finals matchup we expected, but we were not expecting blowouts of the best player in the universe.

It was the turnovers 16-4, Warriors being the only team to get 4 or less turnovers in a finals game EVER.

Phlip
06-02-2017, 10:35 AM
It was the turnovers 16-4, Warriors being the only team to get 4 or less turnovers in a finals game EVER.
Try 20...
LeBron had 8 by himself. That was very much uncharacteristic of his game too. GS scored 17 points off of those alone. Assuming less of a backswing (i.e. Cleveland actually converting some of the live ball possessions they instead turned over), I still don't think this game is decided by fewer than 10 points.
Tristan Thompson is going to have to break up with that Kardashian or they're getting swept.

BOROSUN
06-02-2017, 10:47 AM
They really needed bogut. He's the difference maker going thru gsw.

RB25GUY
06-02-2017, 12:23 PM
Tristan Thompson is going to have to break up with that Kardashian or they're getting swept.

Haha so on point!

Goofs
06-02-2017, 01:05 PM
Lots of over-exaggeration going on.

Series doesn't start till someone looses at home.

Phlip
06-02-2017, 02:33 PM
Lots of over-exaggeration going on.

Series doesn't start till someone looses at home.

Game one blowouts of the best current player in the league tends to beget overreactions like this.
Hell, we could all be wrong and that is the fun in a 7-game series.

BOROSUN
06-04-2017, 08:36 PM
tired seeing gsw keep getting moving picks after moving picks.

silicon valley money at its finest.

Goofs
06-04-2017, 09:22 PM
I don't know about the picks, mostly confused why the cavs are trying to outscore the warriors. If they want a chance scores gotta be under 100

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Phlip
06-05-2017, 05:57 AM
The Cavaliers tore their ass trying to score with the Warriors.
The situation can ONLY get worse when Curry is flinging 30-footers and turning back to get on defense before it even goes down, THEN Klay finds his rhythm.
I am beginning to think that LeBron is a bit rattled too, every time they got close, GS went on an damn near effortless run. They have no offense when LeBron isn't on the floor except Kyrie and Golden State is apparently willing to take that so long as no one else gets hot.
This is not at ALL looking like last year. If Cleveland doesn't win game three, this series will not make it to six games.

tricky_ab
06-05-2017, 06:08 AM
No way the Cavs can play small and expect to keep the Warriors under 120. If I'm Cleveland, my adjustment is starting Shumpert in Smith's spot and have him guard Durant. Put LeBron back on Green and put all their defensive focus into slowing down Curry, Green and Thompson. Durant will go off on Shumpert but he's the Cavs second best option on him and you have to give up something. Thompson needs to make a bigger impact because they need to play him more so they have at least some rim protection most of the game.

Phlip
06-05-2017, 06:21 AM
Funny how we're getting the NBA Finals that EVERYONE said we would get as soon as the last ones ended, but it is more of the same ol shit we've watched all playoffs long.

greddy2die
06-05-2017, 06:43 AM
Cleveland can't win trying to play GSW style basketball, 100+ FGA per game isnt gonna help them.

drift freaq
06-05-2017, 12:04 PM
tired seeing gsw keep getting moving picks after moving picks.

silicon valley money at its finest.

Hahaha you really hate GS! Personally I would love to see GS take it. Clevleland won last year and to be honest while LeBron may be the best player in the Universe? GS deserves this win and has the better team in my opinion.

Phlip
06-07-2017, 01:20 PM
Scrolling through my FB feed, LeBron Stans are up in arms again...
Alternating between "LeBron has no help" and pussyaching about how Durant had to join the team that beat him in order to win.
Durant is playing at a rate that would damn near give him the series MVP even if the Warriors manage to lose. He got out of a shit situation and into a cherry one that would allow him to win right away. Can't be mad at that.
Meanwhile, LeBron is playing with the same help he had last season. Last season, y'know, when they WON the championship? Perhaps his support system wasn't so great after all.

I was reading an article today opining that this Warriors team is better than expected and that the NBA's league-wide adjustment to that will eventually get us better basketball overall, but not before they peel off one hell of a run.

FRpilot
06-07-2017, 01:51 PM
Lol at "LeBron has no help"

This was one of the arguments I saw on one of the debate shows yesterday (or it might have been NBA The Jump) when someone argued that LBJ has no help and someone else pretty much refuted that "you make it seem like Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love are scrubs"

That and LBJ was pretty much gifted Kyle Korver for peanuts and was able to bolster their roster by signing all these coveted solid veterans/role players mid-season (Derrick Williams, Deron Williams, AND Andrew Bogut who broke his leg but they were able to turn him into Larry Sanders) like it was nothing without other contenders even being able to snag one of those guys.

BOROSUN
06-07-2017, 09:54 PM
gs deserves nothing from the bball gods.

cavs needs to play dirt. time to jalen rose someones ankle.
who is this guy trying to punk shump? after he smacked lebrons arm?

ZenkiKid
06-07-2017, 11:02 PM
Kyrie traveled almost every drive to the basket and K.Love tried to hook every time he went for a rebound under the rim.

Thought they had the game but they just couldnt hang on to close it.

Phlip
06-08-2017, 06:02 AM
Cleveland did everything as right as you can do it last night, including getting some help from the refs.
Still blew it.
I hate to see a finals end in a sweep, but I think their soul has been taken

RB25GUY
06-08-2017, 06:57 AM
lmaoo James can't even take a 120 sec break.... without coming back on the court and being down, unreal how good the warriors are playing man.

Goofs
06-08-2017, 08:06 AM
Sweep for sure sadly. At least it's good to be a rebuilding team right now. Gives me hope for teams like the Nuggets & Lakers, shit even the Bulls.

tricky_ab
06-08-2017, 02:33 PM
Cleveland did everything as right as you can do it last night, including getting some help from the refs.
Still blew it.

Ugh just end it now please... LeBron can't do everything himself, and if the other players go cold, it's a wrap.

FRpilot
06-08-2017, 05:24 PM
Still blew it.

I agree that they probably did lose their souls. This is an exchange between a friend and I during the closing minutes that details those exact thoughts:

Me: need to win this to demoralize them
Me: cleveland playing their hearts out
Friend: Yeah they are
Friend: Probably going to ot
Me: warriors need to win to crush their spirits
Me: like what trump did by winning the election and crushing all those hilary supporters' spirits
Me: tried so hard and were so close but NOPE
Friend: Lmao watch them lose the next 4 games straight
Me: then i will be crushed lol
Friend: Lol

FRpilot
06-08-2017, 05:41 PM
Ugh just end it now please... LeBron can't do everything himself, and if the other players go cold, it's a wrap.

That's the thing. LBJ did get help last night for the most part and they still lost!

I turned on the game with less than 6 minutes left in the 4th and it was a close game. With a little under 5 mins to go, they brought up a screen with the leading scorers for both teams and LBJ had 37pts and Kyrie had 38pts EACH!! KD only had 24pts and Klay had 30pts. I thought "this is resembling that night when LBJ and Kyrie both had 41 pts each to take Game 5 last year (which was the beginning of the end of last year's 3-1 Warriors collapse) and that tonight might be a losing night." LBJ makes another 2fts & JR makes a 3 to keep things interesting, but then somehow KD runs off 7 straight points to win the game in the end.

I mean, when I looked at the box scores it looked like JR was being his usual streaky 3pt killing self making 5 of 10 threes and KLove had a bad shooting night but he still finished with 9pts, 13rebs, and had 6stls!!! Korver did what you expected him to do which is be a 3pt threat and make a few threes a game, which was what he did. Can't say much for the rest of the team. Tristan Thompson didn't show up again (and taking out LeBron didn't help either) and you can't expect much from their old vets, but that kind of doesn't really matter since LBJ and Kyrie were playing out of their minds and you'd want to up their usage by putting the ball in their hands instead of the old guys' hands, which was what Cleveland did.

Cleveland did all they could.

Phlip
06-09-2017, 05:33 AM
LeBron apparently kicked Iguodala in the bawls on that blocked shot possession at the end of the game and got away with it.

The water cooler conversation of yesterday was about why he passed to Korver instead of doing it himself.
With a lead
At the end of the game

I explained to someone yesterday that Korver is a career 43% 3-pt shooter and him wide open like that SHOULD be money. Passing to him there was the right move.
Alas, he missed.
But they were still UP in the score at that moment. A stupid foul and an undefendable 26-foot shot did them in.

greddy2die
06-09-2017, 08:56 AM
lmaoo James can't even take a 120 sec break.... without coming back on the court and being down, unreal how good the warriors are playing man.

Seriously, LBJ went out & they were what, +7? He goes out for almost 2 mins and then the +/- dropped to -12.

Phlip
06-12-2017, 11:06 AM
So what's it gonna be?
Will Cleveland have another once-in-a-generation game and prolong this or will Golden State finish them?

Goofs
06-12-2017, 11:11 AM
So what's it gonna be?
Will Cleveland have another once-in-a-generation game and prolong this or will Golden State finish them?

http://i.imgur.com/QnfJIKI.jpg

drift freaq
06-12-2017, 09:36 PM
http://i.imgur.com/QnfJIKI.jpg

Loll and GS is going to call it shortly. Cleveland played well but this is coming down to a Dub championship

Goofs
06-12-2017, 09:45 PM
What a game

Can we agree JR is one of the greatest 3pt shooters of all time?

drift freaq
06-12-2017, 10:12 PM
What a game

Can we agree JR is one of the greatest 3pt shooters of all time?

Ya he was pretty amazing. I really have to respect Cleveland they played well. They helped make it that much sweeter. Especially the Sat night game. This in my mind was a fair Championship between by far the two best NBA teams. I would not be surprised to see these guys go head to head again next year.

Phlip
06-13-2017, 08:24 AM
J.R. Smith is a bit of a kook and has a very apparent problem as a motorist, but he has the 15th most 3-pointers in NBA history. There's a real chance he passes Dirk, Rashard Lewis, Kobe Bryant and Chauncey Billups next year.

Phlip
07-01-2017, 08:57 AM
New NBA business officially commences on July 1 at 12:00:01am, so the last two posts have been turned to the new NBA thread.
:lockd: