PDA

View Full Version : HKS Hi Power vs. Sport Catback exhaust- S13 sr20det

DiscountPirate
09-11-2016, 05:36 PM
I discovered that two of the 4 catback exhaust mounts on the s13 pighatch are snapped off. One thing I've discovered over the years with various set ups is that the s13 with sr can be finicky with exhaust systems as far as cracking anywhere between the exhaust manifold and muffler (in the long term). The exhaust that is on the car is an unknown jdm one I got from an importer almost 10 years ago and it has the perfect combination of size, shape and sound. I used all 4 exhaust mounting points plus the downpipe mount to tranny, and I had full urethane mounts for past 5 years or so. I'm gonna pull it off and swap in a new HKS exhaust system until I can fix it. The two options are for the Hi-power or the Sport. I've searched a lot and basically narrowed it down to two questions I have between the two. Is the Hi-power a big and loud fart can that has clearance issues? Is the Sport able to tuck up well and not hang too low and is it restrictive at all?

DiscountPirate
09-19-2016, 05:56 PM
Still been searching trying to decide between the two but most likely just gonna get the Sport. The only thing the Hi-Power has going for it is bigger diameter. I've looked at as many pics and vids as I can but have not seen one angle that the Hi Power looks good from.

jedi03
09-20-2016, 07:41 AM
buddy had the 4 inch version...super quiet

DiscountPirate
09-29-2016, 08:42 PM
I went with the sport, got it already. It's gonna go on the hatch for a while until I weld up the current exhaust, then it's gonna go on a silvia. I have a new JIC titatium for the hatch but that's a fairly bug one too.

DiscountPirate
10-16-2016, 04:41 AM
Put on the Sport and totally satisfied for $350 shipped. Perfect fitment, no fart can to attract attention. It's louder than my prior exhaust but not loud at all, barely anything at idle and no resonating. It has a bit too much of that horn type brrrp sound with straight pipe but that might mellow out, otherwise a resonator in place of straight pipe would do the trick.

anti tyler
10-17-2016, 10:20 PM
Can you post a video? I have a friend looking to buy one, we've got a few laying around but need feedback on a video of that one.

Dboyizmlg
10-17-2016, 11:49 PM
Can you post a video? I have a friend looking to buy one, we've got a few laying around but need feedback on a video of that one.

It's deff a very nice cat back!
A friend of mine has one and it's not annoying loud, does how ever get louder when it's under WOT.
Very stock looking when mounted also, low key

HKS did a nice job with this piece

derass
10-18-2016, 01:17 PM
A new video would be great! I think the HKS Sport is one of the best choices for a street/daily driven 240SX: quite and a factory-looking muffler. The only thing that could make it better would be if HKS added a middle muffler, similar to the Hi-Power. That should make it even more quite.

Anyways, here's the only sound clip of the Sport on an SR I've ever found:

1GH9oEqN0Hc

DiscountPirate
11-12-2016, 08:45 AM
Yeah you would think in today's internet age it would be easier to find vids and info but I searched way too long trying to compare the two. I'll see if I can get a vid sometime soon.