PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Ventura

Mr.Doback
07-20-2016, 12:34 PM
So I just accepted a position in Ventura County and beginning my plan for the move while I wait for my clearance paperwork and hoped some locals could help me out on a couple things.

1. Any recommendations on living in downtown Ventura? Looking for a garage and found a few things on craigslist, but any other tips would be great.

2. I currently daily a R32 GTR and hoped to bring it with me but smogging it seems to be an issue. Since the car was tagged/titled/registered in VA since it landed in the states, will that help in being able to register in CA? Is there any loopholes for getting past smog? I know it is a longshot but I was hoping since I already have a VA title that it would help the process. The car is mainly stock, except for a cat-back exhaust, but I assume even the stock cat isn't anywhere near up to par with Smog.

3. Is it feasible to ride around on VA plates for a while? Not sure how Cali is on out of state plates, but in VA no one cares.

Looking forward to getting out that west soon!

Sonic Motor
07-20-2016, 01:00 PM
1. No real recommendations for Ventura, all I know is it's a beautiful city that I would love to move up to.

2. I doubt you're going to have any luck registering that vehicle here in CA. I would call the DMV first to see if they'll allow the vehicle to be registered here, but to my knowledge, it ain't gonna fly.

3. Will you still have a VA license? Run the car with out of state plates and show them your VA license also if you get pulled. Lot of the RHD cars out here run out of state plates.

I'm sure others will have some better information.

brndck
08-04-2016, 03:48 PM
I highly recommend you get a PO box in VA and just leave the car registered there. Keep your VA license.

SOME importers HAVE managed to obtain legit CA registration and emissions compliance on R32, but its expensive. (ballpark $10k)

I've had vehicles with FL plates in CA for almost 6 years and never had an issue. I also don't drive like a dickhead, and I feel like that counts for a lot.

Mr.Doback
08-18-2016, 08:14 AM
Thanks guys! Seems like it might be ok, especially if I grab Montana plates or something for the long term.

Fingers crossed im out there in the next two months. :hsdance: