PDA

View Full Version : troubleshooting: fried cpu..cant figure out

that180guy
09-26-2004, 06:06 PM
so i friend my cpu a few weeks back. i just picked up a new replacement one today, along with some other goodies. so i perform the standardly mediocre task of swaping them out.
plug in, turn on....same shit happens!?!?!?! :wtf:

meaning, i boot up...i can hear the harddrive check run, but no beeps and all of my prehiperal dont turn on( ie; cdrw, dvd, etc) monitor says "no signal"

so my theory is that, my motherboard overheated my cpu and then my cpu fried both itself and my mobo.
so im not completely sure and i dont have any voltage testing equipment availble to me.
there fore, im sitting here on my moms HP posting about it
u guys got any good feed back or guesses about what could be wrong? or what i should do? c'mon where are the GuRu's :bowrofl: im not l337 enuff to figure this out...lol

btw: my hardware:
cpu - athlon xp 2600+
mobo - soyo kt400 black dragon ultra platinum (its a hot running mofo)

MakotoS13
09-26-2004, 06:34 PM
till you post something that'll help anyone diagnose anything check the following:

monitor
VGA plug plugged into video card
video card
FSB settings
physical memory

and if all else fails flash the bios.

p.s. you might've ordered another CPU for nothing. next time get a barton 2500+ and save your money. i'm running at 3200 speeds no prob

Bbandit
09-26-2004, 06:49 PM
Something similar happenned to me in the past..
My power supply blew (yes.. I saw thick smoke) and in that process.. it took out my mobo, my processor, and my hard disk at the same time.
How did I know?
I went to my buddy's apt and brought my computer... tested each single parts on his computer.
So yea I ended up buying all of those stuff..
Well you should upgrage anyways.. get a different mobo like a KT600 or something.. I heard bad things about soyo KT400s..

MakotoS13
09-26-2004, 07:04 PM
my old raidmax psu took out the 40 gig hdd and my geforce card. i pushed the overclocking thing a WEE bit too far.

i have since got a massive 480watt thermaltake psu (550watt max)

that180guy
09-26-2004, 07:05 PM
till you post something that'll help anyone diagnose anything check the following:

monitor
VGA plug plugged into video card
video card
FSB settings
physical memory

and if all else fails flash the bios.

p.s. you might've ordered another CPU for nothing. next time get a barton 2500+ and save your money. i'm running at 3200 speeds no prob

ive flashed the bios.
video card id fine
physical memory is fine.
what idiot doesnt plug in the vga all the way :ghey:
fergot 2 metion my new cpu is a barton 2600+

what would all the video shit tell me about my computer not running?

bBandit : yea, ive heard shit about my mobo...but its lasted just a bit under a year n a half

i stop overclocking after my K6-2 died

MakotoS13
09-26-2004, 07:09 PM
you're running a 3200+ processor with a 2600+ stamp on it. once i unlock my chip i'll hit 3500+ speeds no prob.

p.s. unless you've tested all those components in other machines you can't say they are fine.

S14DB
09-26-2004, 07:14 PM
Considering how cheap mobo's are. Buy an new one. I fried many before taking out a CPU.

that180guy
09-26-2004, 07:20 PM
s14db: i work minimum wage needa new helmet and tools and in college....80 bucks....is alot :(

makoto: u are right...but i hate doing that shit...soo damn time consuming. and how did u "unlock" you chip. i havent been up to date on the new stuff...i just pay attention when i need somthing new :doh:

MakotoS13
09-26-2004, 07:23 PM
if you don't want to do it the right way don't bother asking me for help.

tastyratz
09-26-2004, 07:34 PM
then swap parts with a friend to find it but im willing to bet its your power supply thats the problem or caused it. i just had 2 dead ones, my grandmothers died, and my friends died all within the past 2 months..... yea they suck these days and fall apart so thats my guess...

S14DB
09-26-2004, 07:39 PM
Cheap or Fast. Pick one.

that180guy
09-26-2004, 07:50 PM
makoto: dude, i never said i didnt wanna do it rite right way, i said its annoying and time consuming. and if you dont want to help out, doesnt bother me

and im starint to think its my supply also. i dunno, ill get to tesing it later this week after i get more prioritiezed shit dun

but yea, thx for saygin shit and giving me idears about my damn problem

citizen
09-26-2004, 09:09 PM
soyo is shit. they were selling their p4 mobo for $70 with $70 rebate a week or so back. so basically they give em away for FREE. anyways, frying a cpu there is a strong chance you fried your mobo too. but just do the standard troubleshooting to make sure. i remember i fried my athlon tbird 1ghz and it melted the mobo with it. hell that cpu went through 2 mobos before that. memories..