PDA

View Full Version : Fitment on body kit.

BadazzSr20
06-28-2016, 09:41 AM
Hey guys I searched and found a few helpful threads but they were little older. So I wanted to see if anyone can tell me some info. Basically I'm repainting my car and I really like the look of the origin stylish front bumper with the origin race line rear bumper.

I just wanted to ask how would fitment be out the box with these kits I'm hearing good things and some bad it's like 60/40 on fitment. I would like for it to fit like oem and I'm sure it can with the right amount of time working on these bumpers. I'm not trying to pay a body guy 5k to fit these like oem. So can someone tell me are they pretty good like the body lines line up to the oem body lines. I seen some people saying they fit really good then showed pictures of them looking like shit lol.

If anyone can share info or pictures I would deeply appreciate it guys!

KAT-PWR
06-28-2016, 10:06 AM
I would probably budget 3-4hrs per bumper

BoostyMcZface
06-28-2016, 10:29 AM
Are there any companies that make like-oem quality fitting aero I wonder? I'm curious about this too.

brndck
06-28-2016, 10:38 AM
Are there any companies that make like-oem quality fitting aero I wonder? I'm curious about this too.

C-west/drft is amazing fit, and extremely durable/flexible material. They use PFRP and its almost as good as oem polyurethane. Real vertex fit is excellent as well, but you're gonna pay vertex price.

mogli9000
06-28-2016, 10:44 AM
If you don't have a quality bang for your buck body guy then expect to pay almost the cost of the bumper to get things lined up legitimately.

LockOn!
06-28-2016, 10:53 AM

My vote goes to Shine Auto Project. I had one of their very first Goodline replicas for ae86 back in 07. Shit was spot on and super durable. I'm not sure what type of martial blend they use but I know it is not your traditional fiberglass/gel coat. As far as I know they have kept the quality level high as well.

They are they guys who make the Sexy Style replica, super dope. http://www.shineautoproject.com/portfolio/240sx-s13-spec-s-full-aero/

KAT-PWR
06-28-2016, 11:06 AM
With most fiber it's luck of the pull. You could get a piece that fits near perfect needing an hour or less of work to be fit properly.
The quality control for higher priced kits usually fall into this area.

You either pay up front, or possibly pay more on the back end.

Take the cost of the panel, and the cost of your body guy into account and you'll be able to make the best choice for you.

DJTTon
06-28-2016, 11:07 AM
I hate the origin kit that's on my zenki. Shit is spider crackin everywhere and some actual cracks are developing on the side skirts. I don't scrape. This is on my daily that has coilovers and a relatively bumpy commute everyday

Sent from my SPH-L720T using Tapatalk

driftsucky
06-28-2016, 11:12 AM
My vote goes to Shine Auto Project. I had one of their very first Goodline replicas for ae86 back in 07. Shit was spot on and super durable. I'm not sure what type of martial blend they use but I know it is not your traditional fiberglass/gel coat. As far as I know they have kept the quality level high as well.

They are they guys who make the Sexy Style replica, super dope. http://www.shineautoproject.com/portfolio/240sx-s13-spec-s-full-aero/

I LOVED my Shine auto on my car, but it wasn't a drop on fit right piece. It took a little massaging. But, once on, it was top notch. I droved a slammed car through 6 states and dragged an animal for 2 of them and all I needed was some soap and water to get things back awesomeness. I've had friends with shine stuff on various cars as well, and it's normally worked out (drifting aside of course).

BadazzSr20
06-28-2016, 11:31 AM
This is all great info and I do really Appreciate this. You guys are really helping me decide and to be honest I'm thinking about staying oem just because I'm looking for that perfect fit. I have the usdm spec bumper now I'm thinking just do the modification as cutting out the center little to see the intercooler. I seen some photos and that does look really nice to and I'm still able to get that oem fit. I don't think I want to deal with the headache and price tag to make this work

driftsucky
06-28-2016, 11:34 AM
TBH, I've never had any aftermarket kit fit OEM perfect on ANY car, foreign or domestic. I've had plenty that I've been able to make work, and only a few that I should've never touched. But, yeah, if you're anal about fitment and working on a budget, kits aren't for you. Solid kits will definitely take LESS to fit, but almost all will take something.

BoostyMcZface
06-28-2016, 11:46 AM
C-west/drft is amazing fit, and extremely durable/flexible material. They use PFRP and its almost as good as oem polyurethane. Real vertex fit is excellent as well, but you're gonna pay vertex price.

I was wanting to go with real vertex lang actually. so that's good to know, thanks!

brndck
06-28-2016, 12:01 PM
chargespeed is also pretty nice fit, but again, $$$.

VROOOM
06-28-2016, 12:24 PM

Very true i had a Cwest front bumper on an S13 many years ago and it fit perfectly

brndck
06-28-2016, 12:49 PM
Very true i had a Cwest front bumper on an S13 many years ago and it fit perfectly

I currently have a drft front bumper and its amazing.

jsu1012
06-28-2016, 01:38 PM
Vertex fitment and quality was top notch. I've had the kit for almost 6 years now, its taken a beating and its still in great shape. I have new aero coming just to change the look of the car a little and I'm nervous it wont be as good of quality as vertex. If it isnt im selling it lol.

BadazzSr20
06-28-2016, 10:06 PM
Thanks again guys for all the info

WPN-X7
06-29-2016, 02:36 AM
to be honest I'm thinking about staying oem just because I'm looking for that perfect fit.

i ran origin aero on my last s14, while it fit up OK. it was by no means perfect (keep in mind i literally just slapped it on, cable tied front/rear bars and tek screwed the sideskirts as it was just a drift car) while it passed the 10ft rule, up close it wasnt overly great.

im now running a pretty random assortment of aero (BN kit, DMAX front fenders, origin 50mm rears) and the DMAX stuff fits like factory, the genuine BN fits like shit, and the origin is passable.

id stick with OEM with a lip kit

XMcEvilson
06-29-2016, 03:00 AM
on the topic of fiberglass, are Duraflex s13 front fenders bad? I can not find anything else in stock ready to ship

BoostyMcZface
06-29-2016, 03:41 AM
duraflex is bottom of the barrel, every car I've seen with duraflex anything it looked absolutely terrible or they paid so much to have it fitted they might as well have bought the real deal. they make dumpster lids and even those fit terribly lol

s13silvia123
06-29-2016, 06:16 AM
I have Final Konexxion kit.
Fitment is perfect but my fenders were shitty so i had to fix my fenders a bit to work with the kit. everything else fit well.

I also reinforced my kit with carbon fiber a bit to make it a little more rigid as well on spots where i knew will have issues.

LockOn!
06-29-2016, 08:00 AM
duraflex is bottom of the barrel,

I agree in terms of fitment yes, Duraflex is often fucked, especially twisted up sideskirts. For durability though, its better then the generic no name gel coat reps, doesn't explode as easily.

corkscrew
06-29-2016, 08:58 AM
I've had good luck with version select kits. But as stated, expect at least trimming/sanding with any aftermarket fiberglass part. Body work is pretty straight forward man. I'd suggest fitting the kit yourself if you're mechanically inclined at all. i.e - if it's rubbing somewhere, sand it down, notch it, etc.

red240
06-29-2016, 10:53 AM
You really get what you pay for, that said if you buy cheap you will pay as much to have it fixed as buying good stuff or it will look like crap
My GP Sports kit fit awesome, the DMax stuff was ok,

DJTTon
06-29-2016, 07:03 PM
You really get what you pay for, that said if you buy cheap you will pay as much to have it fixed as buying good stuff or it will look like crap
My GP Sports kit fit awesome, the DMax stuff was ok,

Can you elaborate on what needs to be fixed? Say I ordered a Duraflex front bumper and sideskirts, what type of fitment issues do you think I may experience?

Hint hint, this is what Im considering.

KAT-PWR
06-29-2016, 07:06 PM
Can you elaborate on what needs to be fixed? Say I ordered a Duraflex front bumper and sideskirts, what type of fitment issues do you think I may experience?

Hint hint, this is what Im opting for.

Wow okay if you're going DumpsterDimensions™ you're in for hours of work. This will range from making new mounting tabs, fixing every place the panel lines up with another panel, door gaps, bumper gaps, hood edge of the panel, almost the entire headlight surrounding area.
Then you will need to move on to fixing the major depressions and absent details that get lost.

Side skirts you can at the least expect to be cutting along the front edges because the skirt will be too short or too long, re-glassing to allow it to fit. Filling gaps between the skirt and body. Lots of time with the heat gun
I would expect to sand and block with high build primer 2-3 times minimum.

DJTTon
06-29-2016, 07:36 PM
FML, my current setup is shit. Im just tired of it. Maybe I should leave it since Ill be posting the car up for sale in 2 months anyway

:/

Bnr32gtr
06-29-2016, 09:28 PM
C west is amazing mine had pre drilled holes and all lines up perfect! I have a shine auto ss fits grate n love it. Fine line tuneing fits grate as well! My only experience with origin was with fenders and they fit good was not mad with them at all. As for fitting just take your time trimming, it's a bitch to put back. Really helps to have a buddy help hold/mock lots of on and off. if u get frustrated Ez or don't have patients it will look like shit. My fealings with spider cracks be it is what it is, they all do it.its fiber glass not matter bad it is it CAN be fixed. Some one please make/stock bn sport non wide body type3 for s14 I need this now!

LockOn!
06-30-2016, 09:35 AM

Hint hint, this is what Im considering.

Hope your not looking at winning any shows.

I've seen plenty of people run them, but they definitely have the 10 meter rule lol. If your just going to cover it in vinyl or spray paint then smash around a track at drift days go for it. I much prefer running over a $250 bumper then a $500 bumper.

But if this is a car you want to hard park and look clean AF, then pony up the cash man. Duraflex will not make you happy.

STR8 H8N
06-30-2016, 09:47 AM
origin lab

BadazzSr20
06-30-2016, 10:16 AM
Ok so from my understandings from everyone comments is pretty much on the good kits you will only need sanding and trimming. I owned a car where I had to cut the top half of the oem bumpers and cut off the top half of the body kit I bought and merged the oem top to the after market bumper. I don't want to do this again. This is what I'm asking when I ask if they fit?

Will the origin lab stylish line need just some sanding here and there but will fit for the most part or is it going to be a hack job for it to fit? If it's just some sanding here and there to make the body lines line up then that's not to bad. But if u have to start hacking up the kit to fit the lines then that's not what I'm looking for.

KAT-PWR
06-30-2016, 10:33 AM
You probably won't have to re-glass it if it is a quality brand.

Jorgs_7
06-30-2016, 10:56 AM
Ive had first hand experience with Rocket Bunny composites, as well as Joshua Ramos (or w.e JP fiberglass).

RB overs are TOP notch, gel coated, strong lay ups. I only had to block sand the edges. (550$ for 2 overs)

JP fiberglass... NEVER again will I buy that. The fiberglass was pourus, so many pin holes, required a ton of trimming and blocking from bad cuts, even needed filler in some areas that the layers of fibers delaminated.

I probably spent 6 - 8 hours of true prep time (plus urethane primer) for 2 Navan rep skirts, and 2 Navan rep valances. (280$ for the set)

Hopefully that helps a little bit, but Ive also seen JP fiberglass have good parts to be fair. Its an absolute crap shoot.

Definitely comes down to little to no quality control for the lower budget brands.

XMcEvilson
06-30-2016, 08:38 PM
where do you guys order good quality fiberglass? just wait 9 months or what

red240
07-01-2016, 06:38 AM

I waited 3 months for my GP Sports kit, but again it was worth it because it fits great and all the lines are crisp and look right.

STR8 H8N
07-01-2016, 06:48 AM

9 no 3-4 yes

bmaddock
07-01-2016, 06:49 AM
Not a popular opinion with JDM-purists but my roommate and I just ordered two VIS B-Speed kits and the out of the box fitment was pretty good. I haven't installed mine yet but my roommate did his and it turned out nice.

Front bumper for his sat comfortably on stock silvia crash bumper, skirts were almost perfect but a little on the tight side and the rear needed some heat to remove the slight outward bow. It does have a little rear bumper sag but show me an aftermarket rear bumper that doesn't sag in the middle. The corners of the front bumper are showing hairline cracks already but Richmond streets aren't the best for such a low hanging kit, I feel like this is inevitable regardless of the kit manufacturer. We plan on finding a way to get it to sit closer to OE style gap. I'll post pics when I get around to doing mine (likely not till August or so)

LockOn!
07-01-2016, 09:24 AM
Not a popular opinion with JDM-purists but my roommate and I just ordered two VIS B-Speed kits and the out of the box fitment was pretty good. I haven't installed mine yet but my roommate did his and it turned out nice.

Problem with this is consistency. You may have gotten lucky with a new master mold. A handful of kits from VIS and companies like them will always come out great, but there will be a far higher percentage with the expected flaws of a rep and likely also a few that are so fucked you can't even use them.

I've had BN rep skirts before that looked like two guys had tried to twist them up like a candy cane. Fuckin pain in the ass.

red240
07-01-2016, 10:25 AM
[QUOTE It does have a little rear bumper sag but show me an aftermarket rear bumper that doesn't sag in the middle. [/QUOTE]

lol my GP Sports doesn't sag, maybe I got a good one but it fits like stock
Had to trim down the foam insert to get it to fit in but it does.

bmaddock
07-02-2016, 09:49 AM
Problem with this is consistency. You may have gotten lucky with a new master mold. A handful of kits from VIS and companies like them will always come out great, but there will be a far higher percentage with the expected flaws of a rep and likely also a few that are so fucked you can't even use them.

Yeah I believe it, just speaking to my positive experience so far with them. I was skeptical to buy rep fiberglass but it was hard to argue with the price.

Here's a pic of my roommate's car, paint coming soon:
http://i.imgur.com/3Ijj9le.jpg

I'll have to take a pic of the rear. It sagged a bit when we were first mocking up but maybe it wasn't as bad as I'm making it out to be.

BadazzSr20
07-02-2016, 01:51 PM
So I'm thinking I kinda like the jdm bumper and since I had the usdm for so long maybe it's time for a change? What you guys think this is something kinda like the goals I'm looking to get. It won't be this stance or these wheels but the general idea is for the front clip look.

This pix
http://i869.photobucket.com/albums/ab256/Thenoob2/image_zpsl68tgfuh.jpeg (http://s869.photobucket.com/user/Thenoob2/media/image_zpsl68tgfuh.jpeg.html)

Then I seen this pic and I really want to no where can I get that add on lip we see here I seen this on a few jdm bumpers now what lip is this?

http://i595.photobucket.com/albums/tt37/Bmok916/6C7FFFB8-5EC0-4AFB-92F9-743AE662168B-2995-0000020744BD0704_zpsbceda85a.jpg

I'm worried if I don't slam the car it won't get this aggressive look. I don't plain on slamming it like this maybe the most will be a lower spring up front.

tricky_ab
07-13-2016, 07:07 PM
I have a friend who recently purchased the aggressive kit (Origin) for his car, and he said that it fit well out of the box. Their stuff has improved a lot. Much better then how DMAX is (now I'd consider it hit or miss depending on the piece in question).

Rustys14
07-13-2016, 08:42 PM
Ive had first hand experience with Rocket Bunny composites, as well as Joshua Ramos (or w.e JP fiberglass).

JP fiberglass... NEVER again will I buy that. The fiberglass was pourus, so many pin holes, required a ton of trimming and blocking from bad cuts, even needed filler in some areas that the layers of fibers delaminated.

I probably spent 6 - 8 hours of true prep time (plus urethane primer) for 2 Navan rep skirts, and 2 Navan rep valances. (280$ for the set)

Hopefully that helps a little bit, but Ive also seen JP fiberglass have good parts to be fair. Its an absolute crap shoot.

Definitely comes down to little to no quality control for the lower budget brands.

Since someone brought up JP Fiberglass, has anyone had any experience with their BN Type II Replica kit? I have a smashed authentic kit sitting in storage but would honestly rather just spend $800 on the JP rep then deal with the hassle of repairing it if someone can verify that the fitment with the JP kit is reasonably close.

To add to the conversation I've owned/installed kits from Origin, Version Select, and Shine Auto. The Origin Kit fit pretty bad IMO (not horrible but for what it cost I expected better), Version Select was pretty decent but the Shine kit is far and away the best I've ever dealt with. Fitment was spot on and whatever flex agent Shine makes their kits with is tits, I can literally fold the side skirt in half and it wont break.

I've also purchased OEM replica skirts and valences from Dorki Dori and Forcewerkz. Skirts from both fit well, the Forcewerkz Type X Valances that I got do the job but fit and look so-so.

STEEZxIT
07-14-2016, 08:59 AM
I have a friend who recently purchased the aggressive kit (Origin) for his car, and he said that it fit well out of the box. Their stuff has improved a lot. Much better then how DMAX is (now I'd consider it hit or miss depending on the piece in question).

uh-oh. do you have recent experience with dmax?

i'm local to dmax usa (frsport), and have been waiting for their container to arrive.

side note:

i bought an extreme dimensions navan bumper a couple weeks ago, with plans to cut up and do a few modifications that i couldn't bring myself to do to an oem bumper. However, i couldn't even get the bumper on the car. it was so warped and brittle, it cracked a little bit when i tried to just line it up. the sides of the bumper were so wide it wasn't even close. they were very good about taking it back though. i wouldn't recommend extreme dimensions, but paul martin was a good guy so if you're a gambler, go through him at ED.

tricky_ab
07-14-2016, 10:01 AM
uh-oh. do you have recent experience with dmax?

i'm local to dmax usa (frsport), and have been waiting for their container to arrive.

Nothing recently but last year my friend imported a kit and hood. The hood fitment was off, but the kit fit well out of the box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

STEEZxIT
07-14-2016, 10:20 AM
but the kit fit well out of the box.

sigh of relief

fingers crossed the overfenders fit well

red240
07-14-2016, 10:34 AM
sigh of relief

fingers crossed the overfenders fit well

My DMax hood fit bad, took a lot of work to make it look good :P

Renelovesnike
07-14-2016, 12:47 PM
I'd also say to give Origin or Fineline tunning a try! All the origin I've owned fit perfect with only a little blocking needed at the edges where it meets the wheel wells and Fineline is a good alternative for the price just a bit thin like vis.

STEEZxIT
07-15-2016, 10:45 AM
can anyone chime in on PS Duce aero fitment?