PDA

View Full Version : M50 s13 swap.

jared420sx
06-07-2016, 03:07 PM
Does anyone have any info, ive tried searching and cant find anything deffinitive or useful.
What i need to know.
Wiring lol?
Fitment and location of tranny and where it would sit if im using a zf.
Fitment of engine?
Any misc info anyone else may have.
Dont tell me to get a sr. Dont tell me to get a v8. Dont tell me that im doing it to be "different" or "unique" i could give a fuck less about that gay shit. Dont tell me to sell my car. And dont tell me to get a short bus pass. Thank you.

yzrider450f
06-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Sell your car

KAT-PWR
06-07-2016, 04:34 PM
You should get an SR

jared420sx
06-07-2016, 04:43 PM
I already have a short bus pass so ill j save someone their broadband usage.

lunchmeat
06-07-2016, 05:12 PM
Found this, but that's really it.
http://www.driftworks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=233983

Looks like it would be an absolute pain in the dick. But with a sawsall and big enough hammer, you can get anything to fit.

l adam l
06-07-2016, 08:45 PM
150hp and 141tq ...more weight(probably), with less horsepower. even if it were the 2.4 you'll do all that work for only 189hp.

can someone ask why?

jared420sx
06-07-2016, 09:13 PM
150hp and 141tq ...more weight(probably), with less horsepower. even if it were the 2.4 you'll do all that work for only 189hp.

can someone ask why?

Gr8 question.
Iron block
Low commpression
Head gasket/studs/td06 20g/ecutune/injectors. 550whp.
Can buy a low mile motor set for $600 everytime.
I6
Bc ppl would be salty everytime.

bataangpinoy
06-07-2016, 09:14 PM
How good of a fabricator are you? Cause you're not going to be able to get this done without some kind of MIG or TIG welder. If not, you're in for a world of hurt.

Custom motor mount arms and a trans brace will be necessary.... I would not even bother trying to adapt/modify the OE BMW mounts. Start from scratch. Also, you'll have to keep that factory slant that the engine sit at. Otherwise, factory intake manifolds won't fit, oil pans/pick up tubes won't fit or work properly.. More than likely, you'd probably need to eliminate your brake booster to fit the intake manifold. You'll also need a front sump oil pan from the e34 m50's.

You're not ready for BMW pricing. Clutches are not cheap, and neither is the single mass flywheel replacement and matching kit (1000 bucks for a kit from ECS tuning). Tuning the Motronic or Siemiens ECU's are not cheap, and you MUST do it to eliminate the EWS from the late 95 and newer cars. You will need to be damn good at wiring as the e36 engine harness has a lot of stuff in it that you won't need. So you'll have to cut and slim out the harness to make it "plug-in" to your s13. You won't have a speedo reading anymore, as the e36 and many other BMW's have their speed sensors mounted in the diffs.

What are you going to to for exhaust stuff? Actually, forget the exhaust stuff.. How are you going to mount the shifter? The s-chassis doesn't have a receiver for the shift carrier bushing the ZF320 uses. You'd need to make (TIG welder required) an Group N style shift carrier that sits in the car and then make a custom shift lever/selector rod.

And you're an idiot if you leave it N/A. The M50 is a fucking boat anchor, and so are the s50/52. I have an S50 in my e30, and its such a disappointment.
Would only be worth it if you were going to boost it, but come on man... You'd still spend another 3k just to make 350whp.

Look at this mess and how TIGHT it is the the bay of my e30.

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j427/sideofhill/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsp5mblohg.jpg (http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/sideofhill/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsp5mblohg.jpg.html)

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j427/sideofhill/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskvovwjdg.jpeg (http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/sideofhill/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpskvovwjdg.jpeg.html)

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j427/sideofhill/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqzm8vnp5.jpeg (http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/sideofhill/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqzm8vnp5.jpeg.html)

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j427/sideofhill/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqf3ym3p0.jpeg (http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/sideofhill/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsqf3ym3p0.jpeg.html)

http://i1085.photobucket.com/albums/j427/sideofhill/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnks1sfi5.jpeg (http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/sideofhill/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsnks1sfi5.jpeg.html)

can someone ask why?

Never. If you want an m50 so bad, just buy an e36 LOL

KAT-PWR
06-07-2016, 09:16 PM
Looks like we're seeing some conflicting power numbers

jared420sx
06-07-2016, 09:22 PM
Looks like we're seeing some conflicting power numbers

You want a dyno sheet :)
I can get that for ya.

bataangpinoy
06-07-2016, 09:44 PM
You want a dyno sheet :)
I can get that for ya.

HA! Ask your boy how much $ he spent on it. A dyno queen can make any number you want for ONE run. A TD06 20g would be at it's limit to make 550 whp.And why would you even want that archaic bullshit?

Not to mention that high boost on a stock bottom end is foolish, especially when the stock compression ratio is 10.5:1. Dork. At the very least you'd have to get a thicker head gasket and keep the boost to no more than 12-14 lbs. Stock bottom end M5X's don't last long when seeing high boost, FACT.

jared420sx
06-07-2016, 09:45 PM
Less then a 2j and for wayyy more power.

jared420sx
06-07-2016, 09:56 PM
I said headgasket reading is essential.

bataangpinoy
06-07-2016, 09:58 PM

:picardfp: Dude, I don't know who you hang out with, but stop listening to them. I bet you don't even have the specialty tools to lock the cams and lock out the VANOS when you time the cams..

jared420sx
06-07-2016, 10:02 PM
Thank you bataangpinoy. If anyone else has any info please feel free to drop it down here.

l adam l
06-08-2016, 10:34 AM
Seems like lots of work for minimal gains. I wouldn't be 'salty' about it. Doesnt really matter to me anymore what motor people choose. Anyways good luck with it.

CompleteXen
06-08-2016, 12:04 PM

You obviously have never built a 2J then. :picardfp:

Even an S54 would be a bad choice. Do what you want, but you NEED fabrication skills to take on this project or atleast the money to pay someone to do so.

A built M50 to handle any decent power numbers is going to be pricey. Goodluck to you, if you had the skills to make this happen you wouldn't be sitting here looking for info to be handed to you.

Also what idiot would be salty about an M50 in the car? Ofcourse you have your obvious low IQ idiots who think "Its not SR/RB/JZ/LS", but they are just a spec of the community. Making this motor work in your car would take a large amount of fabrication skills that can only be applauded.

jared420sx
06-08-2016, 12:34 PM
I would be coming at about the same price as if i went 2j or ls for that same power. The hard part is the unknowns. Its not money its just hard work and dedication to the build. And if anyone has driven a m50t you know how it is. A 2j motor set thats not molested w 5sp tranny comes in at $3500. And then you have to refresh it and make sure everything is not fucked before your drop it and have a nightmare. Not to mention that you might as well do some bolt ons while its out and apart. It adds up quick. The saving alone from j the motorset and not having to refresh as much helps alot. Not to mention the minimal boltons you can do to get nice reliable power. And when situation comes that i blow it i can go to junk yard and get a new block for $150 lmfao.

Again if anyone has any knowledge, comments, expierence on the m50 and mating it to a s13 feel free to add.

Also does anyone know if m50 can be attatched to a more s13 friendly tranny. Iv heard some stuff ab 350z tranny but nothing solid.

Matej
06-08-2016, 02:49 PM
Do a Mercedes M103. You can get them at junkyards for 200$.
hLBVrM0wJvE

Or M104.
http://turbobandit.com/image/cache//data/intakem104_5-500x500.jpg

bataangpinoy
06-08-2016, 03:44 PM
I would be coming at about the same price as if i went 2j or ls for that same power. The hard part is the unknowns. Its not money its just hard work and dedication to the build. And if anyone has driven a m50t you know how it is. A 2j motor set thats not molested w 5sp tranny comes in at $3500. And then you have to refresh it and make sure everything is not fucked before your drop it and have a nightmare. Not to mention that you might as well do some bolt ons while its out and apart. It adds up quick. The saving alone from j the motorset and not having to refresh as much helps alot. Not to mention the minimal boltons you can do to get nice reliable power. And when situation comes that i blow it i can go to junk yard and get a new block for $150 lmfao.

Again if anyone has any knowledge, comments, expierence on the m50 and mating it to a s13 feel free to add.

Also does anyone know if m50 can be attatched to a more s13 friendly tranny. Iv heard some stuff ab 350z tranny but nothing solid.

Why does s13 friendly matter? You have to make mounts and need a custom driveshaft regardless, might as well just use the ZF320 or G420 (e46m 6 speed). Allows you to use off the shelf clutches and flywheels.

My point is if you're looking for bolt on stuff for an M5X into S13 that comes in kits, it doesn't exist yet.

bb4_96
06-08-2016, 04:01 PM
Good swap. Do it. Save some trouble and go standalone. Find shop if you can't fab.

jared420sx
06-08-2016, 04:11 PM
Why does s13 friendly matter? Um cus im swapping it into a fucking s13. Anything that already has information and has been done before saves me question marks that can cost money and time. Also s54 wouldnt be worth it? Youre buggin. 333whp na stock sounds pretty great to me. Couple bolt ons and youre a 500 na lmao. And in a schasis no less.

Opinions are like assholes everyone has one and i want to hear all of them keep it coming.
Any expierence w this motor or anything related please feel free to drop.

bataangpinoy
06-08-2016, 04:41 PM
Why does s13 friendly matter? Um cus im swapping it into a fucking s13. Anything that already has information and has been done before saves me question marks that can cost money and time. Also s54 wouldnt be worth it? Youre buggin. 333whp na stock sounds pretty great to me. Couple bolt ons and youre a 500 na lmao. And in a schasis no less.

Opinions are like assholes everyone has one and i want to hear all of them keep it coming.
Any expierence w this motor or anything related please feel free to drop.

I'll break this down for your bitch ass again.

If you're so smart, buy an m50 and driveline, and start mocking it up. Unless you're scared and don't know what you're doing (we can all tell you don't), it will be straight forward just to get it to sit in the car.

Since you're so smart and skilled, make motor mount arms (bushing with a pass thru bolt and U bracket), make a trans brace (again really simple if you're good at metal work), and make a shifter plate that you can mount on tip of the trans tunnel. 1/8th" aluminum with a hole, centered in the plate. Weld the original shift lever cup over the hole.

The slave cylinder on the ZF/Getrag transmissions use a m10x1.0 fitting and bubble flare, so you just have to make an adapter line. 2 m10x1 to -3AN fittings, a section of 3AN stainless braid, and the corresponding -3 ends. Too easy for you, I'm sure.

Keeping the trans that is native to the engine (Eamples: jz+r154, LSX+t56, etc) makes the driveline easier to service. Off the self clutches, no need for adapter plates, no need for conversion flywheels. The zf320 will hold high horsepower and are plentiful. Guys use them well over 600 whp. Trans brace is simple if you actually look at it. Cut the center section out of the s chassis trans brace, make anew center section to fit the BMW trans bushings, jack it up, tack it together, weld it out of the car. Should be easy for you since you're smarter than me. Or maybe you're so smart that you think the easy way is beneath you. Sorry for the suggestion, King Fabricator.

Driveshaft would require a BMW front half to bolt to the flex disk, and a Nissan rear CV and flange to mate to the diff. Just like how a t56 conversion driveshaft is GM on the trans side and Nissan at the other end. Measure the distance between the two and a local driveshaft shop could make what ever you need. But you knew that already.

Exhaust might get tricky because of where the OE fuel lines run on the s13, but you're so smart that you'd make feed and return lines, and run them along the driver frame rail right?

I can almost bet you've never had to make custom anything in your life, other wise you wouldn't be in here asking for hand outs and answers (even though you've gotten them already). You'd just be out there doing it. This is light work for me. I got press breaks, two TIG welders, a MIG, plasma cutter, band saw, dimple dyes, nearly endless metal supply, pipe benders, and YEARS of experience with the M50 and s-chassis. 7 years. Easy for me and others like me, impossible for anyone without the appropriate equipment. If you had to pay someone to make all this stuff, you'd be in for 5k. I charge $100 an hour, and you'd be lucky if any other place can make all this shit and fit it in under 50 hours. 5k just to get it mounted in the car and running.

You know what? Do it. Please do it. Take your entire shit apart and fuck around, I'll be waiting for the part out when you give up.

Also, the s54 is already so strung out from the factory.. no one makes 500 from bolt ons. Boy you are full of bullshit.

jared420sx
06-08-2016, 04:53 PM
Thanks again for making it easier for my lazy bataangpinoy. All i ask if you flame me atleast include something useful here and youre right you have loads of expierence with m50s that i dont have. THATS Y I MADE THIS FUCKING THREAD GENIUS. Id rather go into this with some idea of what to prepare for then go in blind with my thumb up my ass figuring every aspect from scratch.

bataangpinoy
06-08-2016, 04:55 PM
Did you even read my post? I literally just gave you several ideas on how to get the thing mounted and in the car. Dumbass. You have to figure it out from scratch, because thats how fabrication works. I literally don't know how else to explain the concept to you because it's already very simple (on paper).

jared420sx
06-08-2016, 05:10 PM
Of course i read it it was good info dude, i understand the fact that im going to have to do alot of fabbing to get it to go right especially w that tilt. But you provided alot more info that i could use in second post to my advantage of planning and also while i begin fabbing things every little thing counts. and on that note if anyone else has any expierence,opinions,stories pictures any content to add to this crapshoot feel free to drop below.

derass
06-08-2016, 05:12 PM
Also s54 wouldnt be worth it? Youre buggin. 333whp na stock sounds pretty great to me.

You mean BHP.

Couple bolt ons and youre a 500 na lmao

You're dreaming.

These threads come up every now and then. If you're asking questions like these, you're obviously not capable of the swap.

jared420sx
06-08-2016, 06:32 PM
If someone could delete this hunk of shit thread id appreciate it. Idk how it got so far.